How to setup a Discus grow out tank

Discussion in 'Discus' started by JP01, Nov 3, 2013.

1. JP01

JP01 Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    73%
    I really want to setup a Discus grow out tank and need some help from the Pro's to do it correctly.

2. Kryo

Kryo Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Very simple really.

1) You need a deep tank. 500mm - 600mm deep. 3ft in length is great for 8 discus Juvi's. Width 450mm - 500mm.

2) Bare bottom.

3) 3 X matured sponge filters. Pop them in your main tank for about 2-3 weeks to mature. You can use sponge filters or you can go for a trickle filter (sump type). The trickle will need to be matured so prior to getting your Juvi's throw a few alternative fish in there and also take some filter media from a matured filter to help speed up the process.

4) Airstone (optional) I used one cos it kept the water fresher and they enjoyed the bubbles.

5) 300w Heater or two 200w's. I used two 200w's because I was neurotic about one failing. Remember to put heater shields on them!

6) Minimal lighting just for when you want to view them really. I put mine on timers just so that they got used to the routine of it coming on and off.

7) Lots of frozen food, pellets and live brine shrimps that have been feed spirulina powder and/or Selco if you can get hold of it.

8) And lastly depending on the water conditions they were raised in you will need an RO unit. I used to just age my water change water for a few days and adjust it accordingly with RO water.

9) A decent gravel cleaner to suck up all the poop from the bottom. I recently bought an Eheim gravel cleaner and all I can say is what a pleasure. Easy to prime, no sucking on pipes and its strong enough to lift poop off the gravel and not lift the gravel up with the poop! :laughing7:

Hope this helps!

3. Rowland

Rowland Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I think I remember reading somewhere (could be from Dirk Bellstedt), that the juveniles require water closer to neutral, perhaps even slightly alkaline.
    In the wild, the rainy season triggers the spawn, and then the younger fish grow up in these flooded plains with water, not as acidic as the pools during the dry season. Apparently the extra calcium and minerals also aid in bone development and subsequently growth.
    Having said this, I am open to correction, as I can't remember the source exactly.

4. Kryo

Kryo Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    You are correct. My grow out tanks were between 6.8 and 7.2 depending on how lazy I was with the RO! My tap water varies between 7.8 - 8.2 depending on which day of the week so I used minimal RO to bring the pH into the desired ranges.

Some people keep their Juvi's in ph5.2. I've always thought that to be excessive.