How do you quarantine your fish??

Discussion in 'General Aquatic Talk' started by Warren, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Warren

Warren Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Hi everyone, hope all is well...

I read an interesting article about quarantining fish, which can be found at
    http://websvirginia.com/angels/quarantine/index.html
    After reading the article, I was wondering how many fishkeepers actually follow these guidelines.

I principally put my new fish in quarantine for 3 to 4 weeks, and if all the fish look healthy, I put them with the other fish, but after reading the article it seems I have to rethink my approach at quarantining.

Do you think this method is a bit excessive, or do you think this is actually the correct way to quarantine fish?

Another point I would like feedback on is where he is implying that medication has no real effect on fish if the pH is higher than 7.5. Any thoughts on this???

Regards,

Warren

2. Cameron

Cameron Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Warren, I am guilty of not quarantining fish! Although these days any new fish I receive are put into their own tank, I'm big on species tanks these days :) I use the same buckets and hoses for all my tanks and touch wood I have not had any serious fish illness in quite some time.

The author of that article IMO goes a tad too far, he is a purist of note, if I was keeping really expensive fish like Discus I would probably follow his procedure. I think your method is fine, quarantine for a few weeks, if nothing 'abnormal' shows up then I'd consider it safe.

I'm not sure how the pH would affect the medication, perhaps professor Dirk could likely shed some light on that query.

Interesting article, thanks for posting the link.

3. CAtfishluvva

CAtfishluvva Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I am with Cameron on this one. I also do not generally quarantine, but I do find out from petstores how they treat new fish and take my handling of new arrivals accordingly.

If the LFS is dodgy, then I quarantine, if I trust the LFS and know their quarantine regimen and have buying experience with them then I am more relaxed.

Regarding quarantine I guess you cannot be too careful in some cases.

I also rarely use meds, and have very few sick fish, but I attribute that to keeping my water quality top notch through too big (grin) filters and being anal about water quality.

Sometimes a damaged fish will recover without need for the usual fungicide...

4. henk hugo

henk hugo Noob

• APSA Member
    i just buy from Nick - they dont need to be quarantined

5. Steve

Steve Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    I agree with the majority of others on this one, I also buy from Nick, never needed to quarantine anything yet ;)
    A good supplier like Nick takes the "schlep" out of the sometimes irritating chores that a fishkeeper has to face, like quarantining.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have to q fish before they go into my tanks ... I am finding it hard to find good quality fish in Jeffreys these days.

Q them in my 30 litre tank with an internal filter (cycle added). Generally if they survive the first 3 days they stand a good chance of being ok. If they live for a week they are ready to leave q ;)