Hillstream Biotope

Discussion in 'Aquascaping and Member's Setups' started by d3tained, Apr 12, 2007.

1. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi all.

I setup this small tank for hillstream loaches.Ive always seen them around but decided to get some of them.

The tank is only about 35 -40 L ( I know a bit small )

Strong current, rocks and sand.This fish do not encounter any plants in there natural habitat but will add some soon to help with filtration seeing that its such a small volume of water.

Temp: 22 degrees Cel

There are 2 of them in there at about 2.5 cm each.They are very shy fish and only come out from time to time on there own.

The biggest issue wth the fish is getting them to eat.Have seen some algae growth on the rocks ( very little ) the past 2 days.Feeding dropping Algae Pellets from Omega.

This is a test run so we will see how it goes.

Picture:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. HellRaiser

HellRaiser Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Ok,if i may ill give my experience with them...
    I never clean my back glass panel,there they find algae to eat, especialy by the outflow of the spraybar end... I feed my fish "OTTO premium bottom fish blend tablets" and they will take on the corys and anything else to have these tasty morsels to themselves... The strange thing is that mine turned a darker color with more pronounced spots after i took my airstones out and started injecting CO2... They love jumping from leaf to leaf on my amazons and browse for algae (its the only plant of mine they go onto and they dont harm it at all)
    ive had them for around 3 to 5 months, and they have grown about 1cm each... They only go onto the gravel for the food tablets,otherwise during the day they stick to the back glass and amazons...At night after lights out they come to the front and side panels for a cleanup... They dont eat all the algae, manual scraping from the side and front panels is still required (the back panel is full of algae so they never starve at all...)
    hope my experience helps, they are beautifull fish with great caractaristics they display
    ps
    two in such a small tank may cause trouble, i had 3 in a 50l and they faught ofter for ownership of the back panel,and when i moved them to the 180l they stopped fighting completely and all share the back glass (4 in there now)

3. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Thank you for the info!!!Really nice!!

4. HellRaiser

• APSA Member
    40%
    So how is the hillstream biotope coming along? Any nice pics to share with us of it?

5. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    I like those rocks, very nice setup :)

6. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Sorry guys.No updates.The loaches was not doing well so i moved them to the bigger tank.Doing much better for some reason and much more active.They are even eating now.I dont know what the problem was.Big tank running at about 26 now and there are current and rocks in there for them.

In the smaller tank they did not eat or wasnt to active.I dont know what the problem was.

Will keep you guys updated on them.

7. HellRaiser

• APSA Member
    40%
    Sounds just like mine, they do better with more space even though they are so small... Weird, but thats nature at work i suppose...

8. henk hugo

henk hugo Noob

• APSA Member
    seeing that they live in fast flowing rivers and streams (hence the body shape) i suggest along tank with a nice power head at the one end to create a flow. also get strong lighting to grow some algea. plants like valis and the thin leaves swors should work in this kind of setup

9. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi Henk

I met all there needs as stated in my 1st post.I guess Hellraiser is right.Its nature .....HAHAH...Ive been watching them...They look really happy!!!Eating crazy!!!

10. HellRaiser

• APSA Member
    40%
    Yo, Detained, how are the little critters doing these days boet?