Hi there

Discussion in 'Please Introduce Yourself' started by Discus, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Discus

Discus Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi,
    My name is James and I work at the South African Institute for Aquatic Biodiversity in Grahamstown (South Africa), specifically for the African Coelacanth Ecosystem Programme.

I am sadly tankless, although do frequently stare whistfully at the large (~3,500l) marine tank in the foyer, which could do with a serious overhaul and a lot of TLC.

I've always liked fish, and when I lived in London, before my itenerant University days, I had a 1.2 meter tank filled with mainly amazonian fish and plants. Challenging in London tapwater, but you do what you can :)

2. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi James

Welcome to APSA. It's really good to have an ichthologist on board.

Are there any particular fish/biotopes you're particularly interested in?

Kind regards,
    Ryan.

3. Discus

Discus Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Thanks Ryan.

I may need an occasional poke to contribute as work keeps me busy, as does being an admin on a *very* busy university forum (thousands of posts a day...).

4. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Things are still somewhat quiet around here, but any contributions will be greatly appreciated.

Are there any fish/biotopes that you're particularly interested in?

5. Discus

Discus Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Back in the day, I went from bunging anything that I liked into the tank, into an increasingly South American tank, particularly the fish; I started getting a bit of a thing for loricariid catfish, but the $$$ never stretched to any of the really awesome ones, but I had some neat Ancistrus, twig catfish and Rhineloricaria in there, along with herds of corydoras. Big schools of cardinals and some other random tetras, hatchetfish, a few angels and a couple of Discus. The entire lot got on surprisingly well. I worked in a tropical fish shop for a year before I left for uni, and I think, on average, I probably paid to work there, what with ploughing the wages (plus pocket money) into new fish and things quite frequently :)

The plants weren't quite as exciting, although I had some giant Valliseneria that was 2.5 times the length of the tank :D I had Java Moss and Java Fern going mental everywhere and some slightly less successful V. spiralis, a couple of crypts, and some indestructible Anubias on bogwood.

I always found Cabomba (that frilly green stuff) disintegrated in no time at all, and was a mission to clean up.

I used to dose reguarly with what claimed to be a broad aquatic fertiliser, but found the plants really perked up when I dumped BioPlast Iron supplements in there.

Cardinal sin amongst the green fingered aquarists, the tank had (shock horror) an undergravel filter. Yes, I know, kill me now. :)

6. Cameron

Cameron Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    LOL....Undergravel filtyers/shock horror :)

Thanks for popping James, much appreciated. You need to get that big tank in the foyer set up :).... It's screaming : "Plant me, plant me"

For those of you who don't know James is quite involved with the local Coelacanth project, is it still going strong James?

7. Discus

Discus Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    *L*

To me it always screams "pull those horrible reef-unfriendly fish out of there, put in some moerse lighting, up the flow a whole ton and cover it in coral". :D (it already has a swimming pool pump to drive it); one thing it really needs is a decent skimmer.
    Someone, who shall remain nameless, recently dumped a small rockcod in there. Its max size is a mere 80cm and 9kgs. Good move, that ichthyologist.

At one stage, with about 200kgs of Caulerpa going insane in there, it looked fantastic, but then someone complained saying "Caulerpa is an invasive species" and the Director decided it must go. Oh well. Like it's really going to get through the GHT sewerage and infest the ZA coastline. Ja.

What it looked like a couple years ago (click).

The anem decided it would be clever and hide under a rock. Good move for a primarily photosynthetic organism. :(

Yes, the programme is still going quite strong, with a few hiccoughs with funding, but we've got some aces up our sleeves to try and rectify that. The next few years are looking very exciting!

8. Cameron

Cameron Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Oh-my-Gawd

That tank is looking sweet James, love all the Caulerpa. There's a similar looking freshwater moss called Fissidens, I'll send you some once I have enough of it. You *must* restore that tank to it's former glory.......when you find the time :)

9. R.C.

R.C. Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

• Global moderator
    23%
    Welcome James,

Man, I love the amount of greenery in that tank.

Something that you don't often see in marine tanks.

10. Discus

Discus Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Yeah, sadly the tank is without it's lovely carpet of caulerpa. And the anem seems to have finally croaked :( it went from that massive specimen to a tiny, pale version of itself over a couple of years, and I haven't seen it in a couple of weeks - it has this habit of hiding in the dark, which is just silly for a tropical anemone.

I don't think the nutrients are right either; the tank is heavily fed, and there's a lot of algal growth in there, including red slime, which is not great.

Bigger skimmer would certainly help; the skimmer on there at the moment, I'd use for a smallish home tank. Need to get an industrial-sized one from somewhere...

Don't have easy access to a digital or I'd post some more recent pics.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey James

Good to have you on board.

I was wondering if you have time could you do a little write up about the African Coelacanth. I'm interested to hear a little bit more about it from you. That truely is an amazing specimen.

12. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi guys, I moved the coelacanth discussion to here.