Hi guys some info on discus keeping pls

Discussion in 'Discus' started by karel, Apr 11, 2011.

1. karel

karel Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Hey Everyone

I have always wanted to keep discus and would like to know what other fish can you keep discus with.
    At this stage I have a 650 litre planted tank with a couple of small fish that I might sell or move to my smaller tank

Later
    Karel

2. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    discus are pretty peaceful, so you can keep pretty much any fish that like the same parameters..

people will tell you not to keep angels with discus, coz they carry more diseases and are a bit more aggressive at meal times, but if you keep these things in mind and quarantine the fish, and feed in two places, have lots of bilogical filtration etc. you can keep them together.

some other really nice companions are cardinals and rummynoses coz they can put up with the high water temps discus need.

i would recommend buying the discus and cardinals at the same time if you go this route, so they grow up together. this way the cardinals wont fit in the discus's mouths. if you get small cardinals once you have large discus they can end up being expensive discus treats..

i hope you ready for the softer water and low pH, and all that it entails to get there, along with all the required water changes?

post some pics of your tank..

3. karel

karel Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    thanx for the reply wearsbunnyslippers

I'll get some pics up within the week , I have asked just about everyone everything about discus . As for the water changes and the softer water and low pH....just goes to show what we will do to have a beautifull tank

4. lowveldpass

lowveldpass Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Hallo Karel,

Welcome to an exciting and rewarding hobby.

Regards, Gerhard Brummer