Help - Just set up new tank.. two fish are acting up and not enough air!

Discussion in 'General Aquatic Talk' started by blunt, Nov 20, 2007.

1. blunt

blunt Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    hey all,

I just bought a Sun Sun HRC-380B tank from Sams in Cape Town. It comes with a filtration system that has a submersible pump that pumps up through to the lid where it puts the water over filter cotton and then out through a "waterfall" which, on the box, looks like its above the water and only about 1cm long but the real one is about 8cm long and if I were to put it above the water the tank would be half full. At the moment it is also submerged and putting through only a few small bubbles (constant), the lower the water the more bubbles.. but i'd like to not have to empty it out too much, am I doing something wrong here? Does it matter if there are hardly any bubbles? Should I buy a better filter/pump (my girlfriends submersable simple pump/filter gives out loads of bubbles)?

Also, the fish I bought are as follows:
    - 5 neons
    - 6 swords
    - 4 angels
    - 1 elephant
    - 1 black ghost

The black ghost and one of the swords have been acting very dosile, mostly the black ghost he lies down sideways on the gravel and actually got himself sucked onto the pump and just lay there, doesn't look too well. The sword just sits at the top of the tank by the heater all the time. The rest of the fish are fine. Someone said something about the ghost and the elephant not being compatible - is this true? I asked at sams and they said all the fish are fine.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. blunt

blunt Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    What a mission, I just saw one of the other swords has a big white wart thing on its side.

3. R.C.

R.C. Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    23%
    I very much doubt that lack of oxygen is the issue here.

More likely a case of New Tank Syndrome.

4. blunt

blunt Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Seems like it. 4 fish died already and ones heading towards the light rather quickly. I cycled out about 30% of the water this morning

5. Alwyn

Alwyn Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Hey blunt...

A few thing to remember (keeping in mind that I’m no expert :D)… You first need to cycle your tank before introducing fish or other critters to the tank (please Google this, it is vitally important). When the tank is cycled only a few (like one or two) should be put into the tank to stabilize the environment, they can then be monitored to see if the water is fish friendly :D

Also on your choice of fish… I know the knife fish looks beautiful but he will outgrow your tank, the same with the angels and the elephant nose!!!

On your question on the ‘bubbles’ the filter produce, this is really not vital!!! Adequate oxygen will be produced by the plants if your environment is suitable, in other words if you have enough light and fertilization ex.

As for the fish dying… I agree with R.C. to many fish added to fast in a unicycle tank!!! Please do your homework before trying to keep fish (this is not meant to discourage you or meant in a bad way). And if there is any other questions feel free to ask!

Alwyn

6. blunt

blunt Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Thanks, I figured going to an aquarium shop and buying a new tank and asking them if the fish will go together etc., they'd help me. They told me to cycle for 3 days and then come pick up the fish which I did.

I'll see how the rest of them survive. Lesson learnt the hard way I suppose

7. Alwyn

Alwyn Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    I really hope they do survive!! They only way to learn is through mistakes... Or learning from other peoples mistakes... So good luck and keep us posted!!!

8. R.C.

• Global moderator
    23%
    I fear you may not fully comprehend the Nitrogen Cycle.

Read through the PDF file in link above and if there is anything you don't understand, feel free to ask.

9. Icarus

Icarus Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    How big is the tank?
    We all make mistakes, and the best advice I can give you, is NOT to listen to a LFS, as they mostly want money and dont care how long the fish survive! Next time, ask one of the local experts, or ask me, although I dont know alot, I know people who knows and I make alot of mistakes myself lol.

Thanx for the pic, I reckon that helped us warn you about the size of your fish, as Black Ghost grow very fast to +-30cm, the angels (well mine) grew to 8cm very fast (excluding tail) and the elephant, well I guess he died already, since They are VERY sensitive!! (Used abroad to test the quality of waterways by monitoring the electric impulse generated from their tail)

Glad to see you got some plants as well, they really do help (see Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad)

10. Alwyn

Alwyn Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    "We all make mistakes" - I second that! :D

"I make allot of mistakes myself" - I second that too... :D

So please do not feel discourage in any way!!

What are your plans for the future (concerning your setup) are you going to get new fish? What are you considering on getting?

Just thought I?d ask you this, maybe some of the other people (who knows allot) can help you choice the appropriate fish fro your size setup.

Alwyn

11. Icarus

Icarus Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I'm glad to see you feed them Tetra and not some unnamed baggie lol

Where are you from, and have you decided to let go of an Angel pair?

12. blunt

blunt Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    hey guys,

sorry for the delay but things have been hectic.

just to update you on the progress - I cycled a few times (about half a bucket) and havent cycled for about 3 days now (and no fish have died for about 6 days - which is a GOOD sign!).

Unfortunately after the mass genocide in my tank I am only left with 1 neon, 2 angels and 3 swords. I fed my elephant some blood worms and 5 min after he ate he lost it (swimming around like a maniac) and died.. the rest just died for no apparent reason. My last neon has white spots but I have put in some anti-spot and hopefully she will live.

I am going to Sam to complain as soon as I can because the tank does not give enough circulation with this filter that came with the tank (the surface goes oily) and sometimes the fish are breathing at the top of the water, but they seem happy and more active now. I will not be buying any more fish for a while.

I'm in Cape town

13. City bowl

City bowl Noob

• APSA Member
    Ask Sam for Omega One foods they are a generation ahead of Tetra, don't take no for an answer, and don't let him sell you some mass produced rubbish just because he makes a good mark-up on it. :angel7:

14. melissa

melissa Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I'd definitely reccommend that you use the Organic Aqua Start up kit to cycle your tank faster and save the fish that are still alive. I've used it a few times in the past and it works!

Have a look here: http://www.organicaqua.com/freshwateraquariums

15. Icarus

Icarus Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    City Bowl, when you see the amount op people running tanks similarly stocked and sized as this, and people feeding unnamed baggies of almost colourless flakes, then even tetra is Way ahead lol

16. blunt

blunt Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    you guys should be a little less prejudice to newbies - it's not our fault we dont know and we expect the people who sell us the stuff to at least give some good direction, not everyone has the internet and knows how to find fish forums

17. R.C.

• Global moderator
    23%
    We were all newbies once and if it's of any consolation, you're not the only person here to have lost fish bought from Sam's.

18. blunt

blunt Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    considering i did everything he told me to i would imagine not! :)

19. City bowl

City bowl Noob

• APSA Member
    "In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."
    -- Desiderius Erasmus (1466?-1536), Dutch humanist)