Hello All!!

Discussion in 'Please Introduce Yourself' started by Celeste, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Celeste

Celeste Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    This forum looks great. I presume the colouring as something to do with the whole "grass is greener on the other side"?
    Well, most of you know me already, but hey, who doesn't like talking about themselves! ;)
    What I have: a custom made tank, which is quite wide and tall, but not very deep. It houses a variety of plants, but I am not sure what their names are, other then the duckweed that andre so kindly shared with me (lol I see what you meant about the whole taking over thing)
    I got into aquariums through my bf. Being a jill of all trades and a mistress of none, I actually got him interested in me by talking about his aquarium when I met him. It was only a few weeks later that he realised that I actually had no clue, but by the time he realised to what extent(three years later), I had joined the S.A.A.F.A (South African Aquarium Forum Association) and took over his tank, now knowing more then he does.
    At the moment I own a couple of livebearers, neon, glowlights, coryies, one sad cardinal and an albino bristlenose. But at the end of this week we shall be getting our second tank (which will be smaller) and on Saturday a sump (courtesy of the Angel Master in Cape Town) and so starts the plan of mass destruction as we demolish a wall cabinet to create a stand and waste our life savings on gravel, water pumps, filters, plants, driftwood fish.....ect ect
    So the story goes into the world of MTS. Hoping to learn more about the plants so that I can stop wasting money on none-aquarium plants that the LFS loves to sell to me, and actually get some greenery going.

2. Cameron

Cameron Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Welcome Celeste

Good of you to join us :)

Let's get your plants looking good :)

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey Celeste

Dr Green Thumb AKA Cameron is the man to talk to about plants. Good luck on your new aquarium ventures...

4. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hey Celeste

Great to see you made it here.

Sorry for the Duckweed, but I warned you!!! :p

5. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi Celeste.

Good to have another Yates around here.

Local forums are definitely the best place to learn about pretty much anything. If you're trying to get something right, chances are that someone else had tried too, so they can tell you how they did or didn't get it right.

Keep well,
    Ryan

6. Celeste

Celeste Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    hey guys!
    Great to be here. Just spending the first couple of days checking out the forum. Seems it's going to flourish.
    andre: duckweed is looking kinda nice so I dont might it. I don't any floating plants other then it, so should be fine for now.
    Tomorrow is friday, so we should be getting out second tank and then the demolish begins! Will post pics of the process

7. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hey Celeste

Just lemme know when you want to come and pick up the sump.

Cheers

Andre

8. Cameron

Cameron Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Yay, new tanks for Celeste :)

Yes the forum is going nicely and functioning well, thanks for noticing :)

9. Celeste

Celeste Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Andre: dropping you an e-mail as I am writing
    Tank came a bit earlier then expected. It is sitting in my lounge right now! Took a bit of a bashing on the way down from Namibia, on the one corner so will have to inspect it first, but I dont think it's too bad.
    Will post a "tank-log-book" soon, but I am thinking of studying next year so I will have to take this tank a bit slow due to savings.

10. chiron

chiron Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Celeste

I know what you mean and have sympathy with the lack of funds. Had a bit of money two years ago. Went bananas and had two drilled 500l tanks built, cabinets and all. Then the funds dried up for various reasons and the two tanks had been sitting empty in the spare bedroom for two years now till I nearly gave up out of pure moedeloosheid (can anybody find a good English temp for this useful word) and came very close to selling them. But now I am up and running again. Hope you can get up and running sooner!!!

Neels

11. Celeste

Celeste Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    2 years of staring at 2 empty tanks? It must have killed you with all the possibialties.
    I don't think (hope) it will take that long, I might actually wait a year with the studies as it's not that urgent since I have a qualification already. We shall see.
    As far as the tank is concerned, christmas is always coming up and my family members are not as broke as me.....

12. chiron

chiron Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Hey thats not a bad idea. Wonder what they will say if I spring a CO2 regulator on them as a suggestion for a present.

Neels