Greetings from Singapore

Discussion in 'Please Introduce Yourself' started by timebomb, Jul 6, 2006.

1. timebomb

timebomb Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Hi, everyone.

Greetings from sunny Singapore. Hope all is well in South Africa. You better be. We're counting on you all to put up a good show for the next World Cup ;D

I was introduced to this forum by Cameron James. I've not met James before but I think he's a great guy. And generous too. I have to say nice things about Cameron because I need him to ship some African Violet hybrids to a friend ;D

But seriously, my name is Loh Kwek Leong. I'm married and I have 2 teenage daughters. I was born and raised in Singapore, a tiny island located at the southern tip of peninsula Malaysia. We're a small country, so small you won't find us on a world map. But we're big on aquatic plants. Over here, it's easy to find many varieties of plants and they are relatively cheap. In fact, the running joke among hobbyists in my country is that we spend thousands of dollars on equipment just to keep plants worth less than a dollar alive ;D

For as long as I can remember, I've been keeping tropical fish and growing aquatic plants. In the old days before there was the internet, it was hard to keep the plants alive in our tanks because information wasn't easily available. Now, there are hardly any secrets anymore and hobbyists around the world can easily connect with each other through forums such as this one. It's great the internet came around during our lifetimes, don't you think?

Let me know if I can be of any help to your aquaria scene. I know Cameron has a soft spot for Anubias and I just send him some A. petite through the post. He does not know of it yet as it's meant to be a surprise. So don't tell him about it ;)

Loh K L

2. R.C.

R.C. Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    23%
    Hi Loh Kwek Leong,

All the way from Singapore hey?

A warm welcome to APSA and yes, please do share your tips & tricks with us.   8)

3. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi there!

It's great to have you on board. I am sure this forum will be instrumental in getting the people in South Africa onto the same level as you are in Singapore.

Keep well

Andre

4. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Greetings Loh!

As Andre said, it's a great thing to have you on board. I look forward to lots of interaction between hobbyists from South Africa and Singapore.

As for Cameron being generous, down here we refer to him as "Fishy Father Christmas". He's often sending his extra plants and fish to other hobbyists. We all appreciate it Cameron.

Kind regards,
    Ryan.

5. timebomb

timebomb Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Thanks for the warm welcome, Fire Eel, Andre and Ryan. I appreciate it very much. I don't have any special tricks or tips to share with you but if you like, I can send the 3 of you some mosses. It so happens I have a big tub of Spiky Moss (Taxiphyllum sp.) and a smaller tub of Singapore Moss (Vesicularia dubyana) lying around in my balcony doing nothing ;D.

Just let me have your mailing address and I'll send the mosses as soon as I can. It will be great if there's regular interaction between the hobbyists of Singapore and South Africa. Africa is where the Nothobranchius group of Killifish lives. Are their eggs easily available over at your neighbourhood? The Nothos are in great demand on the forum at www.killies.com. If you're looking for special aquatic plants, a good way to start is to offer eggs for trade.

Loh K L

6. MichaelW

MichaelW Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    No they are not easily available. Its also sad that I dont know of any South African fish species that can be bought in LFS's. So far I think I've only heard of one person with local fish.

Oh. And welcome! I'm sure you'll feel at home, there seems to be many friendly, helpful people on this site. Lets hope our Plant situation improves through the site. :)

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey Loh

Welcome to our little home away from home...

It's really awesome to have our first international on the site. I hope that you will let us pick your brain from loads of infomation. :D

I think some of the killie keepers in Pretoria might have some Nothos. Cameron and I will try and see if we can get some eggs for you.

8. Celeste

Celeste Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Welcome to the forum!
    Cameron is pretty great, there have been times when I have posted up pics of my tank and he has been able to tell what's what. I sometimes argue, but he is normally right.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are we talking about the same Cameron. hehehe

10. Cameron

Cameron Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Welcome to the forum Loh K L, I'm glad you popped in, and as always, thanks for the great info and generosity. Loh is the owner of www.Killies.com from Singapore, I am hoping to meet him in the not so distant future when I go to Singapore :) Will be great to actually put a face to the 'email' :)

If there's anyone who knows their mosses and Killies it's Loh K L so if you need expert info you can ask him here if he does'nt mind ;)

it will be fantastic if we have some interraction with the Singaporeans, they are the friendliest folks I have come across on the internet and a great sense of humour too :)

Welcome Loh, I hope you visit again real soon.
    P.S. Thanks a stack for the Anubias ;) *jumping for joy*

11. timebomb

timebomb Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Once again, I appreciate the warm welcome. Many thanks to MichealW, Jared and Celeste for making me feel at home already.

Cameron, I wanted to send the Golden Anubias too but forgot all about them when I went to Teo's aquatic plant farm the other day. The Golden Anubias is probably the same species as the Anubias nana, except that the colour is of a much lighter green. Please be patient. I'll get them for you one day. The A. petite, by the way, came from Gan C W's tanks. He said and I noticed too that under high lights, the plant does not grow well. It does a lot better under shade.

I'll be delighted to meet you when you come over to Singapore. Part of the hobby, the fun part, is meeting friends with similar interests.

Loh K L

12. hwchoy

hwchoy Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    guys, anything you want from this chap timebomb that he wouldn't give to you, just let me know ;) I'll go raid his house for ya. but seriously this is one generous chap. we had lots of fun during the shrimp-craze and then moss-craze days a few years back.

KL, let's get together at Azmi sometime soon.

13. timebomb

timebomb Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Sure, Choy. Quite often, I'm over at Azmi's shop on Saturday nights. Just give me a tinkle if you're there and need company. By the way, I like your tagline but there's a Frankenstein in all of us. We want to create monsters ;D

Loh K L

14. hwchoy

hwchoy Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I will beep you when I pop down. should be quite soon. I didn't know Singapore is so big we need to come to South Africa to arrange a date ;D

15. Cameron

Cameron Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    LOL :)

Glad you guys could make arrangements :)