Goldfish Street - Hong Kong

Discussion in 'General Aquatic Talk' started by Gerry, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Gerry

Gerry Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Goldfish Street
    I know that recently there was an article on Goldfish Street but felt that it did not do justice (not that I think that I can do much better)   I was lucky enough, during November 2004, to visit Hong Kong, together with my son, and   amongst the interesting places to visit we included Goldfish Street.  

To us Capetonians who have to travel distances to find Fish/Pet Shops and then the stock or variety or quality is not what we want the Goldfish Street is a true eye opener.

One evening (after supper) we went looking for the street using   a tourist map, landed up in a street market crowded with goods for sale and many, many people,  
    This is in the middle of the street"”not in a building
    [​IMG]
    After some time searching and almost giving up, I discovered that we were heading the wrong way.   We walked down the road and eventually found the right place.  

A street of only fish shops.   The majority were small but crowded but there were some bigger shops. The quantity and variety of fish, tanks, equipment   and everything to do with aquaria was mind bogging. Some specialized in different areas i.e. a shop that only sold equipment, another only discus ( my interest), another only marines, some that sold an assortment of fish and plants.
    [​IMG]
    The most unusual (to me) aspect was all the fish hanging in pre-packed plastic bags OUTSIDE THE SHOPS where customers can choose what they want.   Each bag is marked with the price and while the majority are cheap there were some expensive fish as well.   I believe that the fish are bagged each morning and   left hanging throughout the day and only unpacked at night after closing.   I do not know when the shops close as we were there after 9p.m. and business was brisk.   You can see from the number of people in the streets.  
    [​IMG]
    I enquired as to why the great interest in fish and was told that the apartments in Hong Kong are very thin walled so birds and fish are popular pets.   This is due to the noise problem i.e. if they sing in their shower they can be reported to the police for disturbing the peace!!!
    Also because of this noise problem the karaoke clubs are well frequented as a place where the people can let their hair down and sing, scream and shout.

[​IMG]

How's about   discus for R550 (taking the Hong Kong dollar = R1.00)

[​IMG]
    Or 2 discus at for   R50.00 ??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Plecostomus on the pavement without even an airstone!!

[​IMG]
    Tatooed fish ( done by laser - I believe)

[​IMG]
    Marines
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Large tank as shopfront
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    have been there two years ago, mindblowing and cheap (equipment, not fish). :wow

3. Cameron

Cameron Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Fascinating, do you have more pictures Gerry? :)

4. Silikube

Silikube Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    53%
    How long do they keep the fish in those plastic bags? Seems almost cruel but interesting nonetheless!

5. henk hugo

henk hugo Noob

• APSA Member
    shame - those poor tattoed fish!

6. abraham

abraham Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Interesting... very interesting.. Seem like teir fish are tougher than mine.. mine wont survive a bag like that for so long. Or maybe they have just been pampered too much here