Eheim: Best Way To Fix SLOW Leak?

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Norio De Sousa, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Norio De Sousa

Norio De Sousa Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    I bought an Eheim second hand and, during testing, I didn't notice any leaks.

This weekend, I reconnected everything (so I could connect the shut-off valves) and then there was a small leak from the outlet nipple. I added some thread tape there and it helped a lot but the leak is still there. Just VERY slow. (I can only feel some water there after an hour or two.)

What's the best way forward? Add more thread tape? Just tighten it more? (I have very soft, weak hands. So it's genuinely possible that I didn't tighten it nicely after I got tired.)

I DON'T wanna break the thing. I'm scared if I over tighten it, I'll break the fastening ring. Am I just being TOO careful?

Thanks folks!

IMG_6755.jpg

2. Schalkv710

Schalkv710 Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Maybe cut the front 20mm of the hose of as straight and clean as possible and just tighten it by hand as hard as you can. also try and soak the front of the hose in some hot hot water a bit before pressing over and tightening as this might help the hose to seat better.

Hope this helps

Norio De Sousa likes this.
  3. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    Brilliant advice! Especially the soaking in hot water. I did that before for a similar connection (but not on a filter) and can't believe I didn't think of it.

Will definitely also re-cut the pipe, thanks!

Clare likes this.
  4. Trev Pleco

Trev Pleco Algae destroyer

• APSA Member
    23%
    Perhaps check if the pipe is warn down or scuffed, as you can cut then cut it down by 20mm for a fresh start. You can tighten the thread by hand until it's pretty stiff, don't be too timid. :)
    One or two wraps max with plumbing tape on the screw fitting might also help.

The somewhat flimsy connections are the downside with Eheim canisters in my book. One of mine actually broke off at the black connector you circled, close to where it enters the canister and I had to do a DIY with other irrigation fittings to save it ...

Oops, I see you have fixed it ... as adjourned from my reply with more important matters ...
    Yes we use hot water most the time as well..

Norio De Sousa likes this.
  5. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    I haven't done anything with it yet but yesterday I ran it all day without a leak. Running all morning today without a leak as well.

But I'm still gonna do the hot water thing and use my freshly healed hands to tighten it properly :D

6. R.C.

R.C. Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    23%
    Could just be the angle of the photo, but are you sure the compression nut is the right way around and that you connected it correctly?
    As in before you attach the hose, you have your compression nut screwed back all the way, flush with the pumphead housing. You then push the hose over the exposed part of nipple right up to where the thread starts\ends. Then screw the compression nut forward towards and ever so slightly over the hose tip. You'll feel some resistance as it clamps down on the hose end. That's when you stop tightening.

If the compression nut is damaged, you can replace it with a hose clamp. Also, you may want to inspect the nipple for hairline cracks.

Doubt it'd do much good as the seal happens on the nipple where there's no thread.

7. Trev Pleco

Trev Pleco Algae destroyer

• APSA Member
    23%
    Depends where its leaking that yellow circle could mean two places.
    I see Norio did use some tape and it "helped a lot', but was still leaking, it has helped me in the passed if used sparingly..
    I hear you though on the compression join side.

8. Norio De Sousa

• APSA Member
    9%
    Hey fellas :)

Well the good news is it hasn't leaked again. And that's before I changed anything. I've been running it every day (but not at night) to test it for the past 3 days and: no issues.

I'm still going to do a clean cut on the pipe and soak the pipe in hot water before reattaching it, so I can get a better seal.

If I don't come right, I'll use a clamp because that really seems like a surefire fix and it worked like a bomb on my water-change hosepipe.

Thanks a mill! Great advice in this thread, IMO.