Doug in Cape Town

Discussion in 'Please Introduce Yourself' started by Doug, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Doug

Doug Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Hi

I was referred here by Rowland.

I have kept fish in three bouts ;-) I got my first tank when I was 11 - a 1 foot tank with a pair of Guppies, 3 Neon Tetras and 2 Bandit Corydoras. My second tank was a 3 foot community with Black Widows and Gouramis. And then the Cichlid bug bit. By the time I finished school I had a 4 foot American Cichlid community of Oscars, Texas Cichlids, Jack Dempseys, Firemouths, Convicts, etc. and 4x 3 foot tanks on a common stand my Dad had made up for Christmas at his work - one with 8 pairs of Malawi Mbuna; one with a pair of Discus; one with 6 African Jewels and the last with a group of Angelfish. Then I left home to do my military disservice.

I took up fish again about 5 years later with a 5 foot in the house with a full grown pair of Oscars and a Sailfin Plecostomus. Out in the servant's quarters I had various patched up low-budget tanks where I spawned Siamese Fighters, Angels, Chocolate Sailfin Mollies and Half-Beaks. Quite a mix, huh?

Then my wife and I moved to London for 5 years. We came home 6 years ago by which time I had decided to keep Tanganyikans. I had spent a lot of time on cichlid-forum.com and so I knew what I wanted to keep. But I soon found that getting hold of Tangs in SA was not easy. I set up 2x 3 foots - one with a pair of Brichardis that I still have producing regular batches of fry; the other with 4 juvenile Frontosa.

When we moved to our current house a year later I installed a 2.5 meter 1200 liter tank that now houses 16 half-grown wild caught Frontosa from Chaitika on the Zambian coast and 2 Synodontis granulosus. 4 or 5 of the Fronts are now producing fry. And you should see these babies! Beauties!

I also have 6 foot tank with a large group of Synodontis multipuntatus. I just got a group of Astatotilapia latifasciata from Nick James so I'm going to try breed the Multipuncs.

I have 4x 4 foot 100 gallon tanks in the garage as follows:
    - Breeding pair of Brichardi; pair of Neolamprologus niger; pair of Challinochromis brichardi; pair of Julidochromis regani.
    - Pair of Variabilichromis moorii.
    - Breeding group of Julidochromis marlieri; trio of Neolamprologus buescheri; group of "Blue face" Brichardis.
    - "Spare" Synodontis multipunctatus; 5 Synodontis petricola; single Neolomprologus cylindricus; 8 Astatotilapia latifasciata.

I have another bank of 4 tanks 4 foot by 2 foot by 1 foot high that I grow fry in. Currently I have 2 broods of Frontosa; Julidochromis marlieri; Brichardi and a few Cyprochomis leptosoma. I partition some of these tanks so I also have in them 2 breeding pairs Neolamprologus brichardi and a group of 10 Pseudotropheus demasoni.

I also have a 3 foot tank with a breeding group of Neolamprologus multifasciatus.

Summary
    I have kept fish for about half of the last 28 years, starting with various "community" fish then American Cichlids and now Rift Lake Cichlids (and catfish) - mainly Tanganyikans but recently I have ventured into Lake Malawi and also have a group of Victorians to try breed Synodontis multipunctatus.

I have 4 species spawning regularly and hope to have more soon.

Doug

2. Rowland

Rowland Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hey Doug

Welcome!
    Great to have you here. Think lots could learn from your great experience and contacts!

Rowland

3. R.C.

R.C. Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    23%
    Hey, Doug.

Welcome to APSA.

4. Doug

Doug Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Thanks Rowland and Rayno.

Seeing as this is an Aquatic Plants forum it was impolite of me to make no reference to plants in my post ;) The truth is I have had little success with plants. Here and there a plant has flourished in one of my tanks. But usually an undemanding species like Java Fern or Anubias.

I am convinced that plants are far harder to cultivate than fish :)

Doug

5. henk hugo

henk hugo Noob

• APSA Member
    Welcome! we will sort out your plant problems in no time!

6. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi Doug, welcome to APSA.

You have some very interesting fish there, it would be awesome if you could post some pictures of them and your setups in our Aquascaping and Members' Setups board. I'd particularly like to see your frontosa tank.

Kind regards,
    Ryan

7. Doug

Doug Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    I'll have to take some photos then. I haven't taken many and none for a while.

8. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Welcome!!!!

9. Alwyn

Alwyn Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Nice to meet jou Doug!!

10. abraham

abraham Algae harvester