DIY Lights!!so proud of my work!! hehe..

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by shihr, Nov 30, 2007.

1. philfarm

philfarm Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    ye i know, i will when i can afford it thanks man;)

2. vic+andrea

vic+andrea Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    well I had 2 lohuis globes (R10 eatch) in and as soon as I replced them with boyu tubes (cheap plant lights. R30) my plants not only took off, but also darkend alot! Offcorce hen my java fern (i think) started getting brown spots. Had to move it to a darker spot in the tank and its doing fine now. Does more pricey lights work better? hell yes!

Lets put it another way... How well does an office plant, that only gets normal floresant light do? (osram cool whites)
    Not that well...
    I know you cant realy compare the two, but it does kinda work the same...

3. shihr

shihr Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    umm.. wanna ask, some of my plants r gettin brown leaves! esp the 1s closer to the lights at the top of my tank! whats this mean??

4. Icarus

Icarus Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Vic, I guess you are right bout that Java Fern. Mine just kept turning brown (Melting they call it ??) but then when I dumped one in a bottle with guppy fry (no lights, only natural light that get into the far side of the room) I saw how beautiful it can grow!!

Shihr, how does the brown look? Java Fern Melt (can someone explain why they call it melt?) in intense light, and onther plants like Hygrophilia (I think) turn brown in high light, but i pressume its good, because only the highest leaves turn brown, and its a nice brown, and the plant keeps on growing upwards. It can also mean a Sulpher deficiency (can someone confirm?) because the plant gets better light, it uses more nutrients to grow quicker, and thus the plant may experience a nutrient deficiancy while other that grow slower dont

5. vic+andrea

• APSA Member
    40%
    Well mine just got brown spots all over it! Looks realy bad like it is about to die! Personaly I like it alot beter now when its all green.

About the sulphur... I am dosing with magnesuim sulphate (MgSO4 Epson salt) and it was doing it none the less. So I dont know if it is that but you could be right. You get plants that like light and there are thouse who dont. In nature its the difrince between plants groing in shade, murky or deeper waters and plants growing in shallow waters with full sun. Ofcorse plans can adapt but some are better at it then others. To my knolege java ferns just dont like light!

On the other hand... If you are feeding your plants some extra gummy berry juice then you need the light, and lots of it! Last thing you need is ALGEEE!

Shihr... Are you adding CO2?

6. oxygen_bullet

oxygen_bullet Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Guys do your java fern get brown spots because the rizome is buried in the subtrate?

7. Icarus

Icarus Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    No, If you burry the rizome, you get a dead plant (tried it) but its high light that give brown spots. If the rhizome is burried, the whole leave turns brown sumtimes and totaly rots.
    You have to take into consideration that Java Fern produces small black spots on the underside of the leaves to reproduce. in Afrikaans we call it "spore", I think its Spores in english. Just like a house Fern.

8. feathers

feathers Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    shihr, my compliments on the canopy it looks great and I take my hat of to your craftsmanship. Also like to try my hand with the DIY stuff often and sometimes it gets real frustrating, so honestly good job and you really make it sound so easy. (Maybe I should just keep on trying and it will come to me eventually, LOL!)

9. vic+andrea

• APSA Member
    40%
    A wise man once sead: If at first you dont sucseed!!! Lie, cheat, steal, kill, read instructions, phone suplier ect ect... But most inportant... Dont stop trying!

10. shihr

• Super Admin
    23%
    hey guys sorry 4 replying so late.. im overseas!:p hehe.. went to china for 4 days and they didn hav a comp in the hotel! in hk airport now (going bk to TW!!:) WOOHOO!! hehe..) so will reply u guys quick:)

umm its like a pale green brown?donno hey.. looks pretty iffy!:p haha..but i think the leaves turn greensh with red veins, then eventually goes a good green! but if it is a mineral difficiency then its ok cos i added more fertilizer b4 i left!:)

is it? but what bout all that kak on the bottle that says "does not promote algie growth"? (bad spellin)hehe..

and ya, got one self made bottle of sugar water and yeast..hmm..but y u ask?:)

thanks man! it sounds so easy cos it is easy!:p haha.. just need to make sure u plan properly!:) and the rest is pretty strait forward! and don giv up like vic+andrea said! hehe.. thanks 4 the compliments again.. im going to upload the photos of my cabinet that i made b4 i left..only took me 2days to make!! u must take a look!

WOW!!! internet SO FAST in the east! hehe..

11. vic+andrea

• APSA Member
    40%
    Well on some of my amason swords the leaves also starts off with brown fains and then goes green. It's normal I think....

Most store bought ferts wount premote alge but if like me you add store bougt and self made then alge is a bit of a problem. You need to find the right ballance beween light, ferts and CO2. If one is to mutch or not enuf then the chances of a bad algee invasion is incresed. Ask me i know. All you can do is just keep an eye on things (closely) and follow your instinct.

Have fun over there and bring us all chrismas gifts!!! Ha Ha Ha!!

12. shihr

• Super Admin
    23%
    is it?? cool man! how else can u fert? chemicals?

christmas gifts? haha.. i am going to bring bk some stuff that if it goes well i can share wit u guys.. cant say what cos some guys on this site will get upset as i hav seen on other posts b4!:p hehe..

13. vic+andrea

• APSA Member
    40%
    NICE ONE!!!

About the ferts... Chek out PMDD. Stands for poor man dousing drops. It all booils down to getting large amounts of minerals that your plants need for realy cheap. Most of the stuff is bought in pharmasies. Epson salt (MgSO4) for Magnesuim, Salt peter (KNO3) for Nitrate and potasuim, No salt (KCl) for Potasuim [I'm still trying to find this one but no sesults yet], Lenolax [Its like brooklax on streroids but the plants like it and fish are cool aswell](KH2PO4) for phosphates. You add small amounts like one t-spoon into 250ml of water and douse 1-2ml every second day. I mixed mine in 2 containers so one the one day and the other the next. Works good for me and in the long run is alot cheaper. What I dont like is to buy some fert and I dont know what is in it. When I see algee is on the up all I do is stop adding ferts for a vew days untill it is gone. Then I start up again.

Had a look on tetra's planta min bottel and it reads "It does not contain free nitrate and phosphate which pollute the water and promote the growth of alge in the aquirium"

But in reality your plants still needs phoshate just not in large amounts. So you have to keep an eye on your setup and play it by feeling. Other option is to buy realy pricey test kits and test all the time to se what your levels are. Last time I cheked it was R170 for tetra's test kits and no mention of how meany tests you can do. So I opted not to buy and just try my best without them.

When are you comming back?

14. shihr

• Super Admin
    23%
    WOW.. that sounds like fun huh.. but is there an exact science to how much of each chem to put in? don wanna do somethin im nt spost to b doin:p

come bk 20 somthin of jan! wil tell u if the "STUFF" survived its journey!:p haha..

15. shihr

• Super Admin
    23%
    oh ya, and u frm jhb?

16. vic+andrea

• APSA Member
    40%
    There is a bit of science but only if you realy get down into ppm (parts per million). If thats not your thing then just chek out the first part of the second link. After that it gets way more complex!

http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.p ... &chapter=0

http://www.guppiesforyuppies.co.za/cont ... sp?TID=896

I am unfortunatly not from jhb!! Wich kinda sucks!! I am all the way up north in loius trichardt. Also known as the ass of SA!

PS... Sorry for the bad spellig. Never was to good at it!

17. shihr

• Super Admin
    23%
    thanks man! how long u bn havin fish and plants?

WOW..umm... never really heard of it.. guess it is the ass of SA!:p hahaha..jks jks..is that mre roodepoort? pta? or eastrand(i kno its in the east bt theres a louis trichard str there!:p)?

18. shihr

• Super Admin
    23%
    hey and would u trust any darro product? they seem too cheep to b true!:p haha..

19. Icarus

Icarus Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Beware of cheap products, most guys here will tell you that Tetra is to inaccurate, and Daro even more. Well, I keep by the healthy tank idea... If my fish look good and their colors look great, then my tank is okay lol. Will invest in some test kits when I get my Marine tank in 2020 hehe

20. vic+andrea

• APSA Member
    40%
    Cheap isnt always good but isnt always bad either. Only thing you can do is try and see what happens. What I like about DIY ferts is that you know what is in them. With most store bought ferts you just dont know! You could be putting in diluted "staal druppels". Dont know the english for it... Tetra has always been top of the pack and dont know any body who sead other wise! Havent tried their test strips yet but lets face it, test strips are inacurate!! The only wy you can realy test acurately is with a digital meter and they cost HUGE amounts of money. I downloaded a DIY digital pH meter that doesnt seem TOO complicated but cant find all the parts for it. So realy dont know how mutch it would work out to build.

Darro products... Never hear of them. I know robilon... Not too bad but nothing WOW!

Been keping fish on and of for 12 years and plants for about 2. Went online about year and half ago and been spending all my time on the net and with my tanks. I hate watching TV so dont have one. All I do at night is surf the net or watch my tanks. Keeps me relaxed!

Where I live: Take the N1 North from Jhb. Drive about 4-5 hours and you get to where I am. About 1 hour from the zim border. Nice small town with nothing mutch happening. Just the way I like it... Sometimes.