Diy filter

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by vic+andrea, Feb 25, 2008.

1. vic+andrea

vic+andrea Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Its nothing mutch but this is how I do my filters...
    This one is a small version for a friend of mine.

Take 1x tube or pipe. I am lucky cos the workshop next to my work has loads of this pipe that they dont use. So I get it FOC!

[​IMG]

Drill 2 holes in it. The one at the botom should is for an electrical gland. You will see why later. The top one is for your "out" pipe.

[​IMG]

I like to cut the out pipe like this because I feed my fish by dropping the food into the top of the filter. When feeding flakes it drops the flakes down to the bottom so everybody gets their share. Inc bottom feeders. When feeding pellets you have more space to drop the pellets. If you cut the pipe strait the pellets just sink into your filter. Not a good idea!!

[​IMG]

The small pipe will be conected onto a 400L\h pump. They are cheap at about R70. The gland has a rubber in it and that helps to seal against the pipe. I still like to over do things so I add silicone aswell. I made the pipe that will go into the big pipe long, put the silicone around it and then just pulled it back again. The rubber in the gland stops the silicone from coming throu and it seals perfectley!

[​IMG]

Siliconed the outlet pipe in place and leaving it to dry till tomorow.

[​IMG]

Tomorow I will do the bottom and the gland.

Till tomorow!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. ziyaadb

ziyaadb Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    im waiting

3. Icarus

Icarus Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    looking very good, will follow this one, and will look into this, and the one on the link Ziyaadb posted

4. vic+andrea

vic+andrea Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Some bad news... My land lord seems to have gotten rid of the small pice of pvc I still had left over... Never mind! You kinda got the idea! Cut a pice of pvc in the shape and size you want. Stick it to the bottom with PRESURE pvc cement. You get two kinds of PVC gleu. Presure and non presure. Dont use non presure because the first time you pic up the filter while it is still full of water... You have a wet floor. Trust me I did it wrong the first time and andrea was not happy. Ok then let that dry. It should set solid within 10 - 20min. Reseal inside with silicone. You dont have to but rather over do than have leaks. While you got your hand down there spread some silicone around the gland aswell. Inside and out. Leave to dry again and bob is your OOM!

Here is a pic of my filter. It is a bit bigger than the one that I am making for my friend but he only has 50L and I have a 100L so....

[​IMG]

It works 100% I had plans to conect it to my ugf but that came out during the last replant. My filter holds 2 big bags of filter wool toped with 1kg ceramic rings and then some more filter wool. You will see some brown dots on top of the wool. Hence the new and better way of cutting the outlet pipe.

I will try and get some more pvc sheeting from some where and finish off my friends filter at the end of the month. Will post pic's...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014