Discus SA

Discussion in 'General Aquatic Talk' started by Mastermamo, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastermamo

Mastermamo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
  2. marco1

marco1 Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    OMW....and this is "the other side"?
    Gosh for a moment there I thought I was in the wrong place.

Im new here, hope Im entitled to an opinion...?
    I agree with Larch's initial take on this, another forum, just for Discus will struggle to get of the ground. There is one and its slowly gaining pace, very slowly.... Its never gonna turn into a freight train though lets be realistic.
    I see on here, as in most forum's I fear-Discus fish are again a subject of controversy. That so many wrong info, twisted truths and false realities can be written about one species. Astonishing. Suppose it has to do with the "expert" label attached to them, and then among the keepers of discus another "expert of experts" Club exist, and to this only those who can boast about much but prove little can be members.

Really Kryo - since you were 12? Yet you highlight certain "important issues" related to keeping Discus that is so far from "important" its not even funny.

And by the way, the Discus in the pic Mastermamo posted are Tefé greens, not Xingus. Easy to spot the difference really.

I see now this was a mistake. It truly is this way everywhere.

3. Trev Pleco

Trev Pleco Algae destroyer

• APSA Member
    23%
    agree Marco, if it's any consolation this is by some way the most unpleasant thread I've seen on this forum since I joined here over three years back and hopefully it's never repeated.

However the good thing is we tend to move on quickly... I hope.

4. Mastermamo

• APSA Member
    40%
  5. Vis

Vis Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    Never had these issues around here until this thread. I guess the bigger the forum gets the more ego's there are.

6. marco1

marco1 Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    On Tapatalk I have to scrolI through the entire page to reach the end of a thread. Jumping to last page aint working. Maybe its settings on my side.
    I suppose the "image concious" state of society contributes a little to friction surrounding discus. Im convinced there are a group of discus keepers who set out to keep these fish mainly due to the "image" they percieve theyll draw from it.
    Normally these peeps dont last, they go about making stupid statements, trying to inflate their egos and in the end realise nothing changed as far as their self-image is concerned, and they get rid of the fish moving on to the next "fix". My 5c on human psychology....
    Its sorta comparable to guys wanting Pitt-bull terriers cause they hope THAT will make them friends with Rambo.
    No not all pittbull keepers are that way....just like not all discus keepers are idiots.

Mastermamo-tbh, very little has changed in the concept of discus keeping. Understanding Discus and their needs is not beyound anyones comprehension, but why be "Rambo" and make decisions that ultimately puts the fish at risk. It proves nothing.
    Way way way too much has been said, written and claimed about these amazing fish, yet far too little correct info is available to the beginner discus keeper. They usually get bombarded with each "experts" opinion, and then do not know what to do or who to ask.
    The real problem becomes evident when a serious issue starts in the tank, and this is usually where the "Rambo's" fall short, and unfortunately some living creature suffers for someones ego.
    Each to his own I guess....

By the way, paging through this thread again-the discus in that pic is probaby not Greens either. The image aint great but in hindsight they are most probably some Haraldi, Manacapura blues most probably. Not that anyones splitting hair about it-except me.

7. Mastermamo

• APSA Member
    40%
  8. marco1

marco1 Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    No insult intended Mastermamo. It just seems to be the way it is.

Aaaaah Singu! And I see you already stirred this pot in typical fashion.... :occasion14:
    I always forget that rules do not apply to you....one day I will learn. :sleepy2: :icon_salut:

9. Singu

Singu Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    I was actually being sincere.

10. Firefly

Firefly Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Reading through this huge thread. I thought, "You guys are all typing and stuff, and I'm sitting here doing just doing waterchanges" :p

:happy1:

11. larch

larch Green fingers

• APSA Member
    66%
    Pfft who needs water changes just throw your fish in a bucket clean your tank with some Handy Andy fill it trait from the tap and throw the fish back. :p

12. Kryo

Kryo Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Marco, you don't know me and to be honest until recently I never knew you existed. So instead of attacking me personally, why not rather state YOUR opinion on what the important issues are so that we ALL can have a civil discussion and perhaps actually learn something in this ridiculous thread? However I see your ego came out true on the first run on APSA.

As with regards to me apparently mislabeling discus in a photo I see you admit to also having difficulty with it.... So was it necessary to attempt to discredit me?

13. Slagter

Slagter Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    Wow, this thread went for a ball of ....

I'm going to chuck a few cents in to it, just for the record...

There's a lot of hostility in this thread. Some may find it to be justified, some may not. APSA has always been a forum where people share information, and not shove it down each others necks. Everyone has their own opinions of what to do and what not to do, and then there's a long history of what works and what does not work, in practice and experience. This forum is about sharing experiences in a non hostile manner.

I am actually quite disheartened by this thread, even after Mo has edited all his comments out. It's frikken sad what has gone on. Members turned on a new member who was enthusiastic. Doesn't matter if the techniques are correct or not, he is enthusiastic at least. And when experience shows that his techniques need to be improved, then he can improve them... Granted, some things I would not do, but that's my own personal prerogative.

Egos need to be put back in the cupboard. From everyone.

If we do get the fish side of our forum back up and churning over again, then people like Marco, Prof Dirk, Tyrone, PJAL, Kryo etc will be extremely valuable on this forum for their knowledge of the fishy side of things. And no matter who you are, these people command some respect because of their experience. Even if some of their views differ from each others, the vast majority of the principals behind the science are the same.

Anyway, my train of thought is leaving me... I've had one hell of a week.

Sean

14. larch

larch Green fingers

• APSA Member
    66%
    I think it is one thing being new on a forum and doing something wrong and not knowing better. It is a totally different thing joining the forum and being new and be given good solid advice by helpful people wanting the best for your tank and livestock and then being told go stick your advice were the sun don't shine because his way is the correct way. And that we have no right telling him what to do, then out of spite make a post with pictures about throwing fish in a tank a day after setting it up. And when people tell him it is a terrible idea he turns around and says he was kidding and that he was trying to get a reaction out of the users on the forum.

Never-mind the obvious threats he started throwing around when he was not being taken seriously by the people on the forum because of the above actions. And I see he now went and edited all of his 382 posts and removed everything he has said which points the finger right back at him. Most "normal" people who join ask for advice and say thanks and use the advice that was given, what is the use if you join a forum like this and not take advice with grace and maybe be open to using the advice.

15. marco1

marco1 Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    @Singu - if you were truthfully sincere, then I apoligise for my comment.

@Kryo - there is quite a difference misjudging Blue discus and Bad greens. But yeh, you are right, its a simple mistake to make. Xingus have yellow bodies with no colour, suppose they look similar to some.
    As far as my ego is concerned and previous run on APSA - Im extremely sorry but that is a mistake. I have never been a member of APSA, this is the first time I have subscribed. Maybe it was another Marco? Im quite sure Im not the only one in SA.
    Im also not "attacking" you! Im however allowed an opinion right? Well thats my opinion. And no we do not know each other, I have just heard these type of claims my entire life, and with time it becomes obvious they are not entirely linked to truth.
    Just last week I was told of a guy on another forum in SA claiming to have bred Altum Angels when he was in std 4.... Seems like 12 is quite an age for some....
    Ignore my opinion, if you really did breed Discus at 12, excellent - im just saying I dont believe it.
    I apologise for not believing you, thats the best I can do.

Sorry for being forthright, and I hope that you can see where Im coming from. I further hope that the mistaken identity thing is also cleared up, as that could lead to others thinking whoever the previous guy was, is now me. Not the case.

Rgds

Marco

16. Dewald

Dewald Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    23%
    To think this all started because someone didn't get to be a moderator :(

17. larch

larch Green fingers

• APSA Member
    66%
    I own a fish tank I have no life ;)

18. Luis Embalo

Luis Embalo Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    23%
    I think that there are just times to walk away and agree to disagree, the best there is really.

There are other forums about fish, so maybe keep the things separate, fish on one side and plants on another.

I want to learn more about Discus, and South American cichlids, so I know where to go.

For plants I got this forum and for fish I got the other forums.

19. HC

HC Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    Really sad to see a thread like this on APSA. That is all I am saying. Marco welcome here, too bad you stepped in here with all this happening. Hope we all can walk away from this thread and continue our beloved hobby with dignity intact.

As for someone wanting to be a mod, the expectation was set, but as Richard and Ray explained there was a change of mind and no hard feelings. Hoping this thread can go down our screens and move forward.

20. ernstb

ernstb Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    /yawn

Come on guys. This is getting real old real fast.

Just buy each other a beer and be friends.

Whats happened has happened. Lets ALL learn from it and move on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.