Discus Pair - Laid Eggs

Discussion in 'Discus' started by gwhite, Oct 17, 2013.

1. gwhite

gwhite Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Separated the pair earlier as they we having constant goes at each other. From what I have read up on the internet this does tend to happen. I also read up on the internet how to determine the male and female and I am hoping that I have it right. Few eggs have turned white but the rest remain the orange colour. Also bought some methylene blue which I have added to the tank. Will see how things go from here.

2. Keltezaa

Keltezaa Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    I poped in to check on their progress...

SWEET DUDE ... :headbang:

Keep a keen eye on your water parameters, for this tank... but i guess you know this by now :thumbsup:

and I have read somewhere... that some guy removed the breeding pair discus at day 4-5 (first free swimming stage)
    so that the babies can grow out in pace, coz his fish went all Pacman .. on the babies before...
    **BUT many fry eat the slime from the adults body... especialy in the first few days...
    So do not be hasty to move the adulds unless you have to or after they are eating only dry foods..

Later he descoverd that if he fake a "rain season" in the tank the adults are moved to, they will spawn 2-3 weeks later again

did you get yourself some Brine shrimp powder?
    Or if possible the best food for "new born" i hear is micro worm... but i cant get hold of any starting cultures
    maybe you can...

" I pre-mix some powder with tank water, and using an piece of airstone pipe, about 300mm - 400mm long suck it up like a straw With my mouth, then slowly release it back into the tank where the babys are... this helps to controll the amount that you give them in a singe dosing...
    and somewhat minimizes waste and messy tank botton of un eaten food...

you wil notice their bellys turn pink after they have eaten, especialy when they are still verry young...

Send us some photo's please..!