discus laid eggs

Discussion in 'Discus' started by busanmarc, Mar 2, 2013.

1. busanmarc

busanmarc Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    hi i have had 6 discus for 9 months now ,2 of them have paired off the rest i gave to a friend ,this is there second time they have laid eggs in a community tank,i would like to know ,with rams i had problems doing water changes because they would eat there eggs is it the same with discus 2)how long before free swimming and will they survive

2. HC

HC Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    Wow first off congratz, based on what I have read in the past usually they eat the eggs a few times before they become "responsible parents", I don't think the WC's has anything to do with them eating the eggs. What fishes do you have with this pair in the tank?

I would also recommend reading the below:
    http://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/showthread.php?t=8393

3. busanmarc

busanmarc Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    at the moment 3 dwalf gouramis,blue eyed killifish fish,rainbows a few cories and a bristlenose,have left a light on outside the tank and so far 24 hours later amost the eggs are there

4. busanmarc

busanmarc Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    forgot to say it a 4 foot fish tank,they laid in the corner on the heater thank goodness for sera they sell a plastic guard around there heaters and not many fish that part of the tank

5. HC

HC Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    I would give it another go hopefully their parenting skills will kick in and they will guard the young and rear them as well.

6. Kryo

Kryo Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    First question is what colour are the eggs currently.

Discus are best bred in a bare bottom tank with a pottery cone. In a community the mortality rate IF you manage to get free swimmers will be zero, as the parents will spend all their time chasing away tank mates which will cause the babies to loose their parents. The parents themselves will not give off as much slim coating to feed the babies due to the stress of the tank enviroment. Water changes should be minimal if any during the egg stage as contact with air will harm the eggs and stress the parents. Laying eggs on a heater is also cause for alarm as the heat from the heater will cause most of the eggs to die and/or possibly develop fungus. Water parameters need to me monitored meticulousy also during this time as any spike of ammonia or nitrates is a sure death warrant. Thus it is much easier in a bare bottom tank where any uneaten food can be siphoned out.

Also note, feeding the free swimmers if you manage to get any, will entail BBS (baby brine shrimp) the babies will be lucky to get any with the tank mates swarming to get to the yummy live food. Making enough BBS to feed the baby discus is also a task as newly hatched is best due to them still having their high protein egg sack. So you'll end up making a lot of bottles daily.

If you are interested in breeding discus I suggest you do more reading and definitly consider a breeding set-up!

Sorry if my post is a downer, but honestly there is no hope in community aquarium... too much can and will go wrong and all you'll get is heartache. Been there done that and got the T-shirt!

7. busanmarc

busanmarc Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    have moved my discus to a new tank last batch hatched but where eating when they became free swimming and today they have laid eggs again got a traffic and turned a pot plant over but they still always lay on my heater