dechlorinators

Discussion in 'The Nursery' started by Pikkie, May 7, 2009.

1. Pikkie

Pikkie Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi everyone. I would like your opinion on dechlorinators. What brand do you use for your planted tanks? Because all of them tells you that it removes harmful heavy metals and neutralizes dissolved salts... Won't they remove all nutrients that we add/need also?
    Regards Izak

2. Singu

Singu Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    how about seachem safe ?

3. Pikkie

Pikkie Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Wow check out Seachem ChlorGuard :eek: A 250 ml bottle of Chlorguardâ„¢ will treat up to 10,000 US gallons of tap water...

4. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi Pikkie

I am not a chemical expert, but this is how I understand it:

These products normally work by chelating heavy metals. Basically an agent within the solution binds to the heavy metal. The metal is still dissolved in the water but it is already bound to the chelating agent and relatively harmless. Depending on the chelator (for instance EDTA), it will also bind to iron. This is actually a good thing, as the chelator allows the iron to be dissolved into the water. Plants are able to break the bond between the iron and the chelator by substituting the Iron ion with a Calcium or Magnesium ion.

In any event I would only add these products if you have problems with heavy metals and chloramine in your water. Running the water into a bucket normally gets rid of most of the chlorine.

5. Pikkie

Pikkie Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    O okay I see. Thanks! But when i do a water change I put the hose through the window and in my tank, not in a bucket... I don't add any dechlorinator at the moment and everything looks okay. So I guess there's not too much chlorine in our tap water

6. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    i use tetra aquasafe - and i do my water changes using a bucket, and try to aerate the water as much as possible and let it stand for a few minutes before adding it to my tank, water changes take me ages, but i would rather be safe than sorry...