De-toxifying chloramines

Discussion in 'General Aquatic Talk' started by Warren, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Warren

Warren Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    When using products such as Prime, Amquel and Ammo-lock, is the ammonia converted to a non-usable substance? In other words, if an accidental overdose occurs, can the bacteria in our filters live on the neutralized ammonia excreted by our fish, or would the bacteria colony starve to death?

Thanks,

Warren

2. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi Warren.

If you use products that lock away ammonia then the bacteria will have no food and yes will starf off.It can be between 1 hour to 1 week I have noticed.My one filter died completely just buy letting filter not run for few hours out of my own stupidity.

If you have a good bacteria colony and they are keeping your ammonia and nitrite levels good then dont bother with it IMO.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Those things are basically a money making scheme. They do exactly what your bio filter does and they have to be replaced often. So do you really need them? :)

4. Philip

Philip Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi warren
    There are a lot of products on the market these days, just waiting for an aquarist who is gullable enough to be convinced by the local pet shops that a particular product works. Ammonia is the first part of the nitrogen cycle and usually it a sign that your bilogical system is not fully functional. It takes time to establish a bio load, but adding chemicals to remove ammonia has negative side effects as to your water .