Crit my photos please

Discussion in 'Photo critique' started by d3tained, Feb 27, 2007.

1. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi all

I dont know if we are allowed to but i have 3 photos here I took a very long time ago with a cellphone camera so teh quality isnt good.Can you guys please comment on them?Im not a proffesional in anyway so crit the photos just as you like I will not take offence.To be honest I click the button and and takes a photo.LOL ( My name makes it look professional hu hu??Kidding)

Here it goes:

Rocket Pencil fish
    [​IMG]

Platie
    [​IMG]

Male ram
    [​IMG]

I personally think the platie one is best.

2. Steve

Steve Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Seems almost unfair to crit them if they were done with a cellphone cam, I personally think they are very good considering the camera used. I have tried in the past with a 2MP cellphone cam and mine were nowhere near as good as these.
    That said, if I had to pick a favorite, it would be the Rocket Pencil Fish, the only thing that doesnt work for me in that pic, is that the rear end of the fish blends with the darkness of the shadows, if the fish was positioned more up and towards the right, with greenery behind it, I personally think it would look better.
    To me, the colours of this pic look more natural than the other two.

The other two have a little bit too much "light" for me, the yellow light reflections on the leaves catch my eye, before the subject does.
    The one of the ram seems a bit "fuzzy" to me.
    I like the border, not sure about the signature though, sometimes it can detract from the pic.
    How much work was done on the pics in photoshop?

3. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi Steve.

Thank you very much for your comments.

I took this photos not ever thinking anybody ells will look at them.Playing around.Was just random pics i took of the fish a while back.

As for Photoshop:

The rocket pencil fish pic I only added the border and sig to it as far as I can remember.
    The other 2 i played around with some color and contrast aswell as border and sig.Very little as I dont even know photoshop very well.

Thx again for the comments.

4. Discus

Discus Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I like the pencil fish the best.
    I think the photo would be very much improved with different framing of the fish, perhaps with the fish in the lower left corner, facing into the middle. But it's quite nice as is. The patterns of light and dark are great.

I genereally prefer "profile" pictures of fish, so the platy doesn't work for me.

The Apisto is quite nice, but it's not in focus, which is an instant problem.

HTH.

5. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Thx Discus!!