Crazy Newbie needing assistance

Discussion in 'Please Introduce Yourself' started by Matt Day, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Matt Day

Matt Day Noob

• APSA Member
    15%
    Hi guys

I’m new to this and this is the first forum that I have ever posted on. I’m absolutely loving my new hobby and I’m going all out with my new tank. I however need some advice and would love some feedback. My new tank will be +- 140L and I’m looking at doing a cool scape for a beginner, but to add to that I would like to incorporate a bonsai tree growing on an island on the scape.

I have spent the past month researching and there is so much to consider but I have come up with the following. ADA substrate seems to be king, lights are crazy expensive, and canister filters are confusing. Does anyone have any recommendations here? I also don’t really want to mission with CO2 but should I consider it?

all I can say is that this hobby is addictive and expensive. So any advice would be appreciated.

2. Charlie10

Charlie10 Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Howzit man.

Good to see a new enthusiast! This hobby is very addicting and expensive for sure...but very rewarding as well

For your first tank I would recommend going low tech-way cheaper, easier and low maintenance. But if you still want to go high tech, here are some pointers that could help you:

ADA substrate is the best by far, and if possible I would recommend you to get it. There are many other substrates that will also work, but ADA is very good, just expensive unfortunately.

Circulation is very important in an aquarium, so make sure to get a big and strong enough filter! Rather go for bigger than smaller here. Most filters give recommendations for tank sizes, but I would go slightly larger than recommended. Try to find a second hand one on the forum.

And then CO2. It’s not necessary and there are other options like liquid carbon, but I would highly recommend it. Some types of plants can only grow well with CO2 and it will also help with alge issues...It’s an investment that definitely pays of!

I have used a LED spotlight bought at builders a few times, and worked quite well. Just get the right lumen and kelvin rating and it should be fine. But yeah, aquarium specific lights are probably the best, but not cheap!

3. Matt Day

Matt Day Noob

• APSA Member
    15%
    Just seen this after I sent you a message about your CO2 set up that is available. Thanks for the help.
    upload_2020-8-25_20-58-4.jpeg

this is a pic of my tank at the moment. I’m kitted out with a Fluval filter and Zetlight light on top. I have use ADA Amazonia and now I need to decide on plants. So far I have decided on the following:

Monte Carlo

Mixed Moss tub

Staurogyne Repens

Alternanthera reineckii Mini

Ludwigia sp ‘super Red’

glosso

any recommendations?

thanks and let me know about the CO2

thanks

matt

jakkalsbothma and Nathanael like this.