Coldwater Fish - Not golfish

Discussion in 'Other Fish' started by GDJ, Apr 17, 2007.

1. GDJ

GDJ Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I want to put fish in my pond but I have no idea what. I use to keep goldfish when I was about 12 or 13 and they even spawned a couple of times (mom and dad always ate the fry). So I dont really want to go down that road again.

The open water space is 1.28 x 30 x 30.

Any suggestions?

2. R.C.

R.C. Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    23%
    It seems that a lot of the space is now occupied by the bricks, so you'll probably not be able to go with too big a fish.

If it was me, I'd start breeding "white clouds". LFS's are always eager to take 'em off your hands, especially if they can get it for a few cents cheaper. You've probably already established a business relationship with majority of LFS's in CPT, so I think it could do well for you.

3. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi Gawie.

I know some species of loaches can handle cooler temperatures, and as Rayno said, there are always white cloud mountain minnows. Other than those, not a lot springs to mind.

4. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hey Gawie

I would suggest getting some killies for that tank, otherwise if the tank is room temperature you can keep some Nannacara anomala and croaking gouramies in there as well. Let me know if you want some :)

5. Cameron

Cameron Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    If the pond does not get too cold you could try some killies.

6. GDJ

GDJ Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Initially there was no plan to keep fish in the pond so that's why the bricks take up most of the space. I wnated to stick to plants and mosses.

My problem is MTS and because of it I cannot leave the water without fish in it. No matter how good my intentions were.

I must admit the White cloud breeding does sound apealing and the same goes for killies.
    Would I be able to keep killies and white clouds together?
    If memory serves killies like a species setup dont they?

So it will have to white clouds then. A look on the bright side I can make some extra $$$ from them.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey Gawie,

You should be able to keep white clouds and killies together without any problems.

You can put more than one genus into the pond. I would steer clear of putting different species from the same genus into the same pond. You will most likely end up with half breeds. But you could put one species of Aphiosemion and a species of panchax in without a problem. The pond should be big enough for those guys and they do live at different levels.

I think that a Cape Town winter maybe too cold for them though but a big net and a home inside for the winter will be fine. Maybe even a solar blanket during the night.

8. GDJ

GDJ Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Thanks Jared

That is great news. I want to insulate the pond and see how well it retains the heat using a 300w heater. Luckily I have lots of time to test and play around until the pond is cycled.
    Should it get to cold I am sure I'll be able to find a tank for them somewhere ;-)

9. City bowl

City bowl Noob

• APSA Member
    I looked at the idea of different fish for a pond, but one of the issues is are you going to see the fish?
    For the majority of fish if your looking at them from above the isn't much too see of them.
    White Clouds do flash a bit and are lively, but they jump and can easily end up on the floor in a small pond.
    I ended up with Platies and Swordtails, you see them, they breed well, aren't a hassel.
    So far have been fine for about four or five winters outside in an unheated pool.
    It is a bit close to winter to stock them now, November is better to give them time to acclimatise to pond life and cooler temperatures. :)

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey Gerald,

Very true, from above you won't get to appreciate their beauty but as Gawie is thinking of selling the offspring being outside will benefit that. I've found that fish bred and raise in the outdoors have more brilliance to their colours. They also seem to be a lot more healthy from various factors like the food that naturally will fall in the pond to the natural sunlight(more for the colours than health I guess).

If swordtails and platies can survive outdoors in a Cape winter I'm pretty sure that killies and minnows will too. It's quite funny, there is an established population of swordtails somewhere in Natal(I think) mentioned in Prof. Skelton's book.

11. R.C.

• Global moderator
    23%
    I've kept White Clouds in a smallish pond outside and have never had a problem with them jumping.

Also, viewing a nice big shoal from above is an interesting sight, especially at feeding time.

12. City bowl

City bowl Noob

• APSA Member
    well I have and I did! :-\

13. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Funny you should talk about white clouds jumping their tanks.

My wife found one of them on the floor yesterday. It must have jumped out of its uncovered tank :(

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That's nothing, I've found killies on the floor and they were in a covered tank.

15. R.C.

• Global moderator
    23%
    My cold water setup is also an open top tank. Haven't yet had any suicide attempts.

16. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    It might have been the cats. They see the tank as a glorified water bowl

17. GDJ

GDJ Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Would they jump higher than 30cm?
    Because the top of the water level is about 30cm from the top of the pond. They would have to make one helluva jump then.

I reckon I'll try the white clouds for now and see how it goes, then in summer I'll add some killies.
    (I've always wanted te try my hand at killies.)

Thanks for all the advice gents.

BTW talking of ish jumping out or escaping have any of you ever found an eel crawling on the floor on your way to kitchen to make morning coffee?
    Happened to me I found my fire eel on his way to the kitchen one morning. He was about 25cm at the time. He survived and I almost had a heart attack.

18. Cameron

Cameron Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    LMAO, If that happened to me I would have wet myself, I have an extraordinary fear of snakes.
    I would have loved to have been there, just to see the expression on your face :)

19. City bowl

City bowl Noob

• APSA Member
    With a bit of luck, persevierance, a good tail wind, and plenty of encouragment and assistance,
    you should be able to get your white cloud to clear way more than 30 cm! :sch

20. GDJ

GDJ Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Cameron I think you could have heard my scream up in JHB.

CB I'll put them into training the moment they arrive;-)