CO2- initial starting

Discussion in 'The Nursery' started by Rattail, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Rattail

Rattail Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I know that adding CO2 changes the pH. I also know that you need more light and that you need to add nutrients if using CO2. I also know that these reasons contribute to making a CO2 setup one that needs lots of time. These are reasons why I don't want to use CO2 permanently.

What I want to know: What will happen if I use a DIY CO2 installation for the 1st month only after setting up my aquarium? will the planbts grow quickly and what will happen when I cease using CO2 after the initial month?

thanks.

2. R.C.

R.C. Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    23%
    One word – “Balance”.

It’s all about balance.   Balancing light, nutrients and CO2.
    Remove one of those and you have an imbalance, which in most cases will result in disaster (almost guaranteed in a high light/tech setup). Adding CO2 to a low light\tech setup will not give you significantly faster growth.   The plants may benefit from it and it may help in keeping algae at bay during the acclimatizing period, but remember that during this acclimatizing period, plants “grow” into new routine and establish themselves to this routine and the conditions of this routine.

3. Rattail

Rattail Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    cool. I guess I'll stick to what I know then. I'll try the CO2 Amani-style setup later. Thanks Rayno.