Co2 Flowmeters for Aquariums

Discussion in 'Please Introduce Yourself' started by David Parker, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Luis Embalo

Luis Embalo Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    23%
    So one cannot buy directly? Only from Sams?

Don't want to sound nasty, but this does not look made for aquariums.. one can adapt and reuse, but worried about the level of control one can have over a unit that is made to give l per minute.. we need parts per million, grams per hour if needed, not l per minute.

2. David Parker

David Parker Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    Aquatic Vision in the Northern suburbs will be selling these regulators in the near future. We brought a samples to test the market and they have been bought by Sam's Aquariums. When our next shipment comes in we will be supplying outside of Cape town.

3. David Parker

David Parker Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    You are more than welcome to speak to the guys at Orca Industries, as they bought CO2 flowmeters without the solenoid valve for the same application, before we added the solenoid valve.

4. R.C.

R.C. Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    23%
    You don't seem to know your own product or the market you trying to flogg it on. Your product is not ideal for our application and this is the reason our members are giving you such a hard time.

The question on everyone's mind is, why would we spend money on (a flowmeter) something that's not idealy suited to our application, when there are a plethora of hobby grade preset and working pressure adjustable reg's with dual guages indicating (in psi or bar) both the cylinder side high pressure as well as low or working pressure, adjustable to particular diffuser requirement.

The flow gauge is of no use to us whatsoever and will only confuse the novice hobbyists. You should rather market this at the hydro guys. There are a number of hydroponic or indoor grow forums and shops locally.

5. Luis Embalo

Luis Embalo Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    23%
    I can see newbies looking at the flow gauge and thinking "this thing is not moving, let me pump some more" ..

Isn't there a way for your company to make the device in a way that suits our needs? You will not sell otherwise.. actually surprised that Sams and the other shops are stocking this.

6. David Parker

David Parker Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    Thank you for your responses and we will consider your comments made and discuss this with our manufacturer.
    A few of the guys that we have dealt with, use the flow meter on a CO2 fire extinguisher, which does have a gauge on to show you cylinder capacity / pressure.

7. JCL

JCL Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Oh well, let me give you some more of my 2 cents, I think it will go towards showing why l/min isn't ideal and a total waste to us.
    Right in the beginning a forum member made a rough assumption that 1 bubble could be 1ml.
    Being the true engineer that I am, I like facts.
    So here we go.
    Took a measuring spoon, 2.48 ml and used a pipette to fill it drop by drop. 34-35 drops filled the spoon to the brim. Tested this twice.
    Perhaps a pipette with a bigger opening would give a different result, but I guess it will not be a day and night difference.
    So the bottom line is that 1 drop is way less than 1ml, actually around 10-15 times less.
    We pump CO2 into our tanks at a rate of 2-10 bubbles per second (BPS) depending on many factors. 10 is quite high already, don't really know anyone at that level.....
    But even though, 10+ BPS is barely 1ml.
    So an instrument giving l/min or l/hr is not suitable for our purpose.

Luis Embalo and Babyball like this.
  8. Babyball

Babyball Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Thanks for the answer JCL. Thought as much.

I think this product may be good for a different purpose but It's not going to work in a fish tank.

I don't think shops would have bought it if they knew the full story or the product was explained properly.

It's a bit concerning to think that a novice could get hold of one of these, could be a disaster.

Luis Embalo likes this.
  9. wudze

wudze Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    3%
    Welcome to APSA!!

10. f-fish+plants

f-fish+plants Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
  11. JCL

JCL Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    And now that you know the cost, what will happen?
    I like the quote that the precision gauge releases 1-25l of CO2 per minute.
    So with one of these you can CO2 flood all your 30+ tank at once, .....its a bargain :p

Luis Embalo likes this.
  12. f-fish+plants

f-fish+plants Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Well truth is - only have one more port open on the 6 way splitter - so no need to rush into anything. Should I need to scratch the CO2 itch today - I would probably go for the unit http://www.betterweather.co.za/shop/home/83-up-aqua-working-pressure-adjustable-co2-regulators.html - yeah it is R500 more but the alternative is one of the co2art regulators and with a 30 pound shipping I still think betterweather is well placed.

Then again running mostly 27x7 and ladder diffusers - the need for all that fancy dials, operating pressure and solenoid valve are less important. One could probably get away with a regular that spits out some 2-4 bar pressure and the do the dial-in with a needle valve etc

lol- I am really trying to cut back on the tanks - managed to decommission 7 already - so now at 29, looking at dropping the number to 16 or so for winter so no need for anything that dumps x l/minute.

Later Ferdie

Luis Embalo likes this.
  13. R.C.

R.C. Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    23%
    Most reactors\ladder\glass or ceramic diffusers can be driven on less than 2 bar. It's only the UP-Aqua inline atomisers that require 2 bar plus (minimum starting point being 36 psi or around 2.5 bar). There are other and better brands (such as Naito Precision Inc. or Intense) that require only 30 psi, which is around 2 bar. So, the reality is that for most our application (generally speaking, there are exceptions of course ) you don't really need a reg with outlet pressure above 2-3 bar and this is why most non working pressure adjustable hobby reg's are preset between 1.5-2.5 bar.

14. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    welcome to APSA!

Luis Embalo likes this.