Chinese Algae Eater

Discussion in 'Other Fish' started by melissa, Aug 24, 2006.

1. melissa

melissa Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi Guys

Well I am at my wits end as to what to do with my [glow=green,2,300]Chinese algae eater[/glow]. Unfortunately I was one of the "lucky" ones who bought one as a little innocent algae eater and only later found out that they can become quite aggressive.   :ang4:

He has long forgotten that he is supposed to eat algae... and now tries to feast on my Rainbow Shark (this poor shark is almost 8 years old already) He leaves all the other fish alone, even the Gouramis but I suppose it is just a matter of time before he starts sucking off their slime coats.

This is him (he is about 8cm now)
    [​IMG]

Anyway, I have asked a few shops if they would take him but they won’t. I don't suppose anyone here (in Cape Town) has a suitable home for him? I don't know what else to do with him, and there's no way I can get him his own tank   :-\

:crytear:

2. Peter

Peter Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi melissa

Gee...... I know where your comming from, one of the most aggressive fish I have ever had, little did I know when I got him for my discus tank. I could not catch him, I laid trap's with no success, I even started to think of ways to harpoon the bugger. :gun2: Eventually I ended ripping my tank apart to catch him...lol
    I gave him away for free.......

3. GDJ

GDJ Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    The problem with these guys are that once they develop a taste for slime coats it's the end of the road.
    I had a albino one yonks ago that almost killed two sunset gouramis. I could not understand where the wounds on their sides came from, I would take them out put them in the hospital and wait for them to recover. then back into the tank and within a day or two there would be wounds again. So changed the aquascape to plants only and still it would happen eventually busted the Algae eater sucking on thier sides.
    Had to euthanize him, because giving him away would not have been fair to the person I gave him to, becasue he would just continue to eat slime coats and skin.

These guys can become really troublesome.

4. melissa

melissa Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I wish there was a way the shops could stop selling them   :silent:

lol, we tried catching him last night, to put him in a breeder net untill I could take him somewhere, but it was impossible to catch him! I can see me having to take the whole tank apart.

But then I still don't know what to do with him...   :scratch: :scratch:

:potty: nah, that's not an option   ;D (hehe, plase ignore the little smiley man on the [glow=red,2,300]toilet[/glow]....)

5. GDJ

GDJ Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I do not particularly like to talk about methods of euthanization but flushing is really just about the worst of all.
    There's many other ways, but it should always be the last option.

I understand your situation 100% it's one of the toughest things in the hobby to sit with a fish that hurts the others in your tank and you cant get rid of it.
    Seems like the only option is to get a tank for the algea eater.

6. melissa

melissa Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi GDJ,

Yes, I agree, it isn't something I like talking about either and after reading a few threads on it on another forum I know there is NO way I would be able to do it (clove oil, freezing, bashing it's head) and flushing is NOT an option.

7. Peter

Peter Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi
    I faced the same dilemma, that why I opted to give it away, the home I chose for it consisted mainly Cardinals and Rummy nose and the new owner was aware of it aggression. He was very happy with it for it did a good job in keeping his algae in control

So my problem was another’s solution

8. Cameron

Cameron Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Melissa

Post it in the classifieds section as 'free fish' in CT :)
    Maybe you're lucky and someone will take it from you.

It's a pity these guys get a bit aggressive because if you take a deep look at it it's actually a beautiful bugger...

9. henk hugo

henk hugo Noob

• APSA Member
    CAEs are the devils spawn. Take it to panorama they will sell it to some one

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The viscious cycle continues...