Chihiros WRGB 90 - Alternate controller options

Discussion in 'Planted Tank Equipment' started by kvans, Mar 17, 2020.

1. kvans

kvans Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Hi Guys,

So I've recently bought a Chihiros WRGB 90cm LED, the light is great and the output and spectrum all look good, but I have some huge issues with their 'Commander 4' controller

Being in South Africa, load shedding is a part of life and I've quickly realized that the light doesn't restart after power-outages and needs to re-sync with the APP before restarting. This is obviously unacceptable. The other issue is Chihiros's approach to 'ramping' - instead of a gradual increase the light seems to jump from point to point.

My question is, would it be possible to replace the commander 4 with an alternative controller

https://www.tc420.net/

My main aims are:

1) Allow the light to power up after loadshedding with no assistance
    2) Allow the light to gradually dim/increase

Would love to hear if anyone has solved this issue

2. Wazi

Wazi Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Hey bud
    I used to run the exact same controller TC420 about 2 years back when i had my bigger tanks, It was part of a DIY lighting project.
    It was an amazing controller with if i can remember 5 separate channels. I can confirm that the controller uses PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) and you will not see the "Steps" as you say.
    https://www.tc420.net/programming-the-TC420.php
    Regarding the start up after power loss, my one had a built in RTC (Real Time Clock) so after power failures, it would restart and carry on.

Good luck, Let me know how it goes. I would love to see some pics of your light.

3. kvans

kvans Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Hi @Wazi

Thanks for the response, I've done quite a bit of research into the TC420 and it looks like it has all the features im looking for, But I'm really not sure if my specific light will work with this controller.

I cant find anyone online who has tried it with the Chihiros WRGB 90cm LED specifically., attached a pic of the controller in question.

Assuming the controller is using PWM i guess i could split the wires into their base colors and wire to the TC420, but I have been unable to figure out what control method the Commander 4 is currently using.

7161c8zOSLL._AC_SX522_.jpg

4. Wazi

Wazi Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    No stress,
    If you take a look at any RGB light you will see 4 x connections
    1x common (Ground or Positive) and 3 x for each colour. What does the end of your light look like?
    The end that connects to the controller. Does it have 4 x wires on a plug?
    upload_2020-3-18_14-13-52.png

5. Royden Church

Royden Church Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    More info on TC420

https://www.tc420.net/

I only use TC420, I mod LEDS with these, run it on Maxspect, Zetlight, Ocean Revive.........

I do a lot of repairs on various leds for guys throughout SA.