Cape Town get together

Discussion in 'Calendar Events' started by Andre, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Silikube

Silikube Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    53%
    Thanks Proff Dirk, and Andre, I thoroughly enjoyed both your lectures.

It was great to actually meet some of the names on the forum!

I surely won't mind a regular get together for the round table discussions!

2. James1

James1 Noob

• APSA Member
    90%
    DIY!! and Central systems, Filter design!
    Now that is really what interests me.
    Round table discussions is also a great idea. I really learnt a lot just listening to others talk.
    It is always good to hear other people's views on things. I believe that there is not only one correct method to do things and what works for one person might not work for some one else.

So when is the next meeting? ;)

3. feathers

feathers Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    It sounds if it was an awesome evening, how do I wish Cape Town was closer some times.

4. Solex69

Solex69 Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Shot for last night oakes...was absolutely gr8 meeting you all. Special thanks to Prof & Andre for putting the night together and giving their presentations.

I think the DIY round/open table should be done before end of November but I would suggest someone's house where we can all have a dop-'n-chop, fish & plant trading, maybe crawling to good LFS, etc etc, all in one. That should send 2008 well on it's way in preparation for 2009 for us enthusiasts. What do you all think about this?

PS - I thought that Ruben flew down from JHB for the evening...I was soon corrected as he is from Strand actually :) lol

5. philfarm

philfarm Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Just so the "losers" who couldn't make it can see what they missed out on here is a pic of the free stuff I got;

[​IMG]

and if you were wondering, yes even the packet of chips is included in this :p

But seriously it was a great night, defiantly worth doing again! so for the millionth time, thanks to the Prof and Andre for getting it done we all appreciate it! Im just bummed I missed Dirks talk, ohwell next time ;D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  6. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Also thanks to Rowland and company for helping to organize this at such short notice. As Rowland said, its pretty awesome that we could organize this in a week.

Next time I will hopefully have some fish to trade.

7. Rattail

Rattail Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    @Philfarm - looks like weed. Did you smoke it? ;)

8. philfarm

philfarm Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Jealousy makes you nasty :p

9. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Hi Guys,

One of the things that came out from this meeting that was very interesting to me was that many of us are keeping mosses that come from different sources. I have quite a few, Silikube had some interesting ones and Phil had some that were from KZN that he has collected himself which also seemed to be doing very well. I wonder if we should not perhaps try, on a separate thread, to make an inventory of these. If we can perhaps photograph them in a standard way in a white ice cream bakkie, whole view and also a closeup we can perhaps get some of the names sorted out and identify some of the rare ones. I think I am going to do some photographing over the weekend to get the ball rolling.

BTW Silikube, the courser moss I got from you, which I think you said was spiky moss, is a real stunner. I must see that I get that attached to a rock and get it growing nicely. What was the other moss I got from you? Was it erect moss?

Kind regards,

Dirk

10. Gertjc

Gertjc Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Prof Dirk and Andre,
    "Dirk, the lecture on the Amazon was fantastic. Thank you for taking the time and organizing the venue." Andre, also very informative... try and keep your thread updated?
    I would like to know more about the relationships of African and American cichlids - since when the two continents drifted apart!
    Thanx again guys...
    Next time, I hope to have more time to be more prepared for the plant swop, as I didn't know what to expect...
    So. When and where is the next meeting?
    Gert.

11. Silikube

Silikube Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    53%
    Yes Prof, the coarser moss was some "Spiky Moss" (Taxiphyllum sp.). It is a really beautiful moss once it has fully colonized a piece of wood or rock. I also gave you some moss which I am not totally sure as to what exactly it is. The 2 closest matches I could come up with was either "christmas moss" (Vesicularia montagnei) or perhaps "singapore moss" (Vesicularia dubyana). It looks very similar and would need a microscope to spot the difference!

I think starting a moss thread would be a great idea. Our local moss expert RC would also be able to share some valuable info on mosses and help with identifying the various strands some of our local users have.

thanks
    Ruben

12. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hey guys

I've been a bit absent from forum life for the past 2 weeks because I've been on course with no internet, but Andre gave me a call from the get together to tell me about it. I'm really glad you guys had such a good time. If Dirk's lecture was the same one he gave to the Jakaranda Aquarium Club some time back then I'm sure everyone must have really benefited from it.

The plant swap also sounds like a great success. Hopefully everyone can work on doing some propagation now so that the plants that are harder to find will become more available.

I'm also very much in favour of the moss catalogue thread, I'll whip out my macro lens to take some photos of the few mosses that I have.

Again, I'm really glad the get together was a success and I'm also sorry I missed Andre's talk about Cameroun.

Kind regards,
    Ryan

13. R.C.

R.C. Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    23%
    I’m really disappointed to have missed this one, but unfortunately I’m going to be out of town allot from now. Let’s try and arrange the Two Oceans meet at least a couple of months in advance for those of us with hectic schedules. Preferable next year sometime or during the holiday\festive season.

14. philfarm

philfarm Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    so when we doing this?

15. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    As soon as I might find some time to take some pics of my mosses, but I have piles of test papers and theses to mark at the moment. If you would like to take some pics to get the ball rolling please go ahead and I will contribute afterwards, if you don't mind......

BTW, the Barclaya that you gave me is really looking great in my lab tank and seems to have settled in well.

Kind regards,

Dirk

16. R.C.

• Global moderator
    23%
    Hi, Phil.

Ruben contacted me two days ago with regard to the suggested moss thread.

I suggested that we perhaps merge or link to all the previous moss related threads and numerous posts already on the forum and then make it a "Sticky".

I think ideally we'd want to create something like the "Mosses and the men who love them" write-ups done by Kwek Leong from killies.com. If you guys have any other suggestions or request, please let us know.

@ Prof. Dirk, been wanting to ask, how's that Taiwan moss I passed on doing for you?

17. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Hi R.C.,

I checked out the thread that you gave and I agree that we should perhaps have some link to all the previous moss threads such as that one, perhaps with a heading such as "Aquatic mosses cultivated in South Africa". I thought a title like that would also be good for a "sticky" thread. Do you perhaps want to put something like that together for starters? Then we can perhaps add pics, just as shown in that thread by KL on all the various mosses that we have in the country. What do you and others think?

And yes, the Taiwan moss you gave me has done just fine, it has multiplied drastically! I have a beautiful rock covered with it, and some loose pieces in other tanks. I brought some along to our meeting and on Phils pics of the contraband that he picked up at the meeting some of the Taiwan moss is shown on the bottom right!

Kind regards,

Dirk

18. R.C.

• Global moderator
    23%
    I'm going to leave that up to Ruben to do as it was partly his idea. It would be nice if prof. could perhaps ad something on those locally found mosses.

That's good to hear. I've given almost all of mine away, just got a small patch left growing emersed in a pot with some Cryptocoryne x willisii.