Building hardscape

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Pierre07, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Pierre07

Pierre07 Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    I got some spider wood from Aquas over the weekend and started sawing up the pieces and changing them to look more like a tree I hope. :BangHead: The branch on the right is a actual branch added and the one on the left a photoshop one. The roots for the tree is actually added. and just cleaned up on photoshop. Still just playing around but would like some opinions if this looks sort of realistic and natural or not. The rocks not the rocks I am after. Still hunting for the correct ones. Looking for something more to the mid to dark brown in color. More rounder but not exactly like typical river stones. So round but with some tecture on it. Stones to be covered in moss but with some rock still showing in places. Any ideas on this and where I can go have a look. Been to bark & stone but nothing that caught my attention :BangHead:
    [​IMG]
    For a sense of scale. The tree is about 350mm high and trunk about 120mm wide

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Pierre07

Pierre07 Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    The one piece I got from AquaS and the main piece to make up the tree hopefully :evil6:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Luis Embalo

Luis Embalo Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    23%
    Lovely piece of wood.. :)

4. Hanekka

Hanekka Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    23%
    Love the roots going into the rocks.
    Personally I think the two branches at the top makes it look like to arms. Like those Halloween "scary" trees.

5. Pierre07

Pierre07 Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    lol yeah it kind of does look like a Halloween tree. Still far from finished with this and want to have at least 3 branches coming out the trunk. Keep it to the odd numbers.
    Now glue. Some of the pieces is glued temporary with super glue amd others just placed in position or held in place with some presstick. I was thinking to use epoxy to glue the pieces on when I'm finally happy with the look. Also can add a dowel where needed on bigger pieces. To your opinion will epoxy stand the test of time amd keep it's bond even with the wood getting waterlogged and deteriorate over time? Also I presume epoxy is fish safe?