Brent's New setup

Discussion in 'Aquascaping and Member's Setups' started by brent.birch, Nov 14, 2016.

1. brent.birch

brent.birch Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Hi Guys,

So i after my nano tank's monte carlo carpet melted i decided to re-scape and bought my first ADA Amazonia, decided to go the right way, should have from the start.

Im calling on the aqua-scaping veterans over here to give some pointers and honest opinions about this scape. I'm planning to grow a tree in the corner with either fire moss or xmas moss and the rest of the layout covered in monta carlo moss. Please subject me to your opinions masters :)

2. brent.birch

• APSA Member
    53%
    Sorry, forgot to add the image

IMG_8617.JPG

Joshua Tree likes this.
  3. Adrian

Adrian Plant menace

• APSA Member
    10%
    Nice setup and ideas you got there. I think the others will agree that you need to move the tank away from om the window. To much sunlight on the tank are going to give you some problems.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Luis Embalo and brent.birch like this.
  4. brent.birch

• APSA Member
    53%
    Aha, thanks for the tip @Adrian, this is the only spot in my room where it will go nicely, perhaps i should put a black drop behind the tank then to block out the sun.

Luis Embalo likes this.
  5. Paul

Paul Plant menace

• APSA Member
    10%
    Even blocked out you are still going to have heat issues in summer.

Adrian likes this.
  6. brent.birch

• APSA Member
    53%
    That is true @Paul, all very good points.

7. jakkalsbothma

jakkalsbothma Aquascaper

Top Poster Of Month

• APSA Member
    73%
    Great start! I like that shape.
    I agree, move it as far away from the window as you can...
    Even with a black background or backdrop you will still attract too much heat.
    And the ambient light will make the algae thrive!

Have you got substrate supports in there to keep everything from moving once you flooded the tank?
    Amazonia loves to move once the tank is flooded with no supports to stop it.

I like the idea of a MC carpet, maybe just break the edges round the rocks with some S.repens? Here and there?

What filtration will you be running?
    Lighting?
    CO2?

Can you take the tree out and put it back again?
    I've found that trimming a Moss tree works best outside the tank and then I don't have Moss clippings growing new bushes everywhere else in the tank 2 weeks later...

But good luck! Looks cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moolz and brent.birch like this.
  8. brent.birch

• APSA Member
    53%
    Hi @jakkalsbothma, thanks for the input, So the reason why i have it by this window is that the layout of my room doesn't allow me to really put the tank any where else in the room. I could move it to another room, lounge or TV room, however I wanted it a bit closer to keep a better eye on it. The other reason for this position is that i have hooks in the ceiling above chest of draws where i have the tank on, i made a rectangle frame which i stuck two T5 1.2m LED lights on, this provides quite a lot of light. I have the aluminium frame hanging from the hooks in the ceiling above the tank.

I read a thread from @Waltjie the other day of him building his own canister filter, so I wanted to try the same but with a heater built in so I don't have to have a heater inside the tank. I still have to look for materials of what i'm going to use to build it but that is going to come in another month or so, this will be a dry start for about a month depending if i have a full MC carpet by then.

As for CO2, i have an 11kg tank with a single solenoid regulator which I'm going to use once the tank gets filled. The tree i wont be able to remove as the MC carpet will cover under the tree as well. I would think it works a lot better trimming outside yes. I will have to deal with trimming on the inside though.

S.Repens sounds good around the rocks. I bought some from @Trev Pleco some time ago. By substrate support do you mean a layer of gravel over the Amazonia to hold it down? My thinking was that the MC carpet would hold it down. However it is my first experience with Amazonia so i don't know how it interacts when the tank is filled.

Its seems like i may have a good layout for the tank however problems with where it is positions, i will look around where i could place the tank elsewhere. I do need it close to me though, i tend to get caught up sometimes in work and other things and this hobby needs lots of attention.

9. jakkalsbothma

jakkalsbothma Aquascaper

Top Poster Of Month

• APSA Member
    73%
    Cool plans!!!

No don't cap the Amazonia, I meant support under the substrate to keep it from sagging. But if your carpet is covered by the time you flooded the tank it shouldn't be a huge issue...

10. Trev Pleco

Trev Pleco Algae destroyer

• APSA Member
    23%
    If you only have three rocks I would cluster or pack them like a rocky ridge rather than random isolated rocks so it looks more natural and with a point of focus. Not imperative of course so just my opinion here. Just get your hardscape layout organised first and then worry about the plants, some more rocks would be good as well.

If you keep your rocks as they are then just go for HC and perhaps some stau repens at the foot of the tree as suggested...

Moolz likes this.
  11. brent.birch

• APSA Member
    53%
    @jakkalsbothma, i see what you mean, the Amazonia is little balls that crumble so would sag down a bit. Do you suggest i use a gravel layer under the Amazonia first?

Hi @Trev Pleco, thanks for the input, thats what i'm planning first on getting my hardscape right first before any planting happens. I want to be satisfied with the layout and not think of changing it again later.

I have another rock which i dont think i like the shape so much, will probably break it up a bit to get smaller rocks. Trev, are you talking about clustering all the rocks together on the one side? I've played around a bit before getting this layout, i think this tank is a bit small to cluster these rocks in a corner with the tree. i could perhaps add some small ones around the tree and maybe have S.Repens between them? Does S.Repens grow well emmersed?

Trev Pleco likes this.
  12. Trev Pleco

• APSA Member
    23%
    I would try and link the tree / branch with the rocks or ridge rather than having the wood separate, just imagine how you might find the scene on land in the wild with say an old branch or tree half growing out the rocky ridge. The branch can be growing at an angle if you feel this looks more realistic..

Here are some pics of rock scapes with vegetation that I took to hopefully give folk inspiration with their capes.. sorry no old trees here..

http://www.apsa.co.za/xenforo/posts/181710/

brent.birch likes this.
  13. brent.birch

• APSA Member
    53%
    I see what you mean Trevor. I'll break up the other rock that I have in smaller pieces and see what I can make of it.

14. Trev Pleco

• APSA Member
    23%
    Brent, as for the positioning just do some research on the thirds rule we tend to use in aquascaping ..

images-4.jpg

images-3.jpg

15. Luis Embalo

Luis Embalo Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    23%
    Cover the sides and back, use black cloth.. heat will be an issue, but we in Africa.. heat will always be an issue.. :)

This is easy to make..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moolz, Clare and Trev Pleco like this.
  16. Trev Pleco

• APSA Member
    23%
    Luis has beaten me to it as I was finding the appropriate link.

Wait... hold onto that hammer or ice pick for a moment, how big is the other rock it might be perfect :)

Also do some research on iwagumi scapes if this floats your boat, here's a good link to get you going ...

https://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiugbrA_63QAhUIM8AKHZReAZYQFggZMAA&url=http://fish-etc.com/aquascaping-main/create-an-iwugami-aquascape&usg=AFQjCNFqtnOV2Uhw8lKVF4jQH38cS-DMvA

imgres-1.jpg

Luis Embalo likes this.
  17. Luis Embalo

Luis Embalo Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    23%
    Just buy more rocks.. :) simple..

18. brent.birch

• APSA Member
    53%
    Hehehe @Luis Embalo , Trev i quite love the Iwagumi style, I've researched it a bit already, I had a bonsai that died on me which gave me the idea to use it in the tank. The tree doesn't go with Iwagumi style though hey? I'll post a pic of the other rock beside the tank in a moment

Clare likes this.
  19. brent.birch

• APSA Member
    53%
    Here is the other rock I was about to break up, the last picture is what I had the tank like before, my very first attempt. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Adrian and Nathanael like this.
  20. Trev Pleco

• APSA Member
    23%
    That big rock has character and is perfect as your 'Oyaishi', so please put the sledge hammer back in the garage !

Luis Embalo likes this.