Blue paradise fish.

Discussion in 'Other Fish' started by vic+andrea, Mar 17, 2008.

1. vic+andrea

vic+andrea Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I took gert's advice and started floating all my floating plants inside airline tubing rings. Works great and has an added advantige! My blue paradise fish started building a bubble nest!! :) Only problem is that I dont know if any babys will survive in the current tank setup... It is in my second tank that has a sand substrait with loads off plants. Right below the nest there is some java moss growing and next to the moss there is an open area. The one thing that bothers me the most is all the other fish!! There are: 6 blue paradise, 4 angels (4cm body), 7 sailfinn mollys and a 15cm upside down cat fish in the tank. The male has become more agro towards the other fish as one would expect. The female has been around to look at the nest and I have been lucky to see some realy nice courtship. But no eggs as of yet. My question is this.... What the hell do I do now? Do I leave them and hope for the best? Do I go out and get another tank? Is there any spesial needs for the babys??

I tried to google all this info but internet up here has been realy bad in the last few weeks and now with the weather google does not even come up!

Thank you for all help!

2. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Hi Vic,

You will have to remove all other fishes if you want to give your blue paradise fish a chance of raising their babies. the babies are tiny and have to be looked after by the parents, but if there are any other fish around, I am not even talking about fry eating machines like angels, then you can forget it. You may even find that you will have to remove the female after spawning.

Best of luck.

Kind regards,

Dirk

3. Gertjc

Gertjc Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Wikus, Preferably remove the breeding pair to a bare breeding tank, with the nest as is. I know it will be messed up, but he will fix it again.
    While they are settling in, feed them enough life mozzy larvae and bloodworm to condition them. Also put a clump of java moss in the opposite corner for female to hide. They will spawn when they are propperly conditionedand ready!
    Good Luck!
    Gert

4. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Wikus,

Paradise fish occur in nature in slow-flowing rivers and rice paddies that are full of plants and grass. As a result they do best in heavily planted tanks. I would definitely not remove them to a bare tank as this would only cause them stress. They would then most probably eat their fry and the male would bash the female. A friend of mine in Cape Town actually keeps them in an outside pond which is full of floating plants and they breed in this pond very successfully. Their small fry can also hide very well in the plants and find food in the plants. As a result I would recommend that you keep them in this planted tank, but remove the other fish. You may have to remove the female after spawning, but the male should be able to look after the fry in the planted tank successfully.

Kind regards,

Dirk

5. vic+andrea

vic+andrea Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Ok so I did not remove them or the other fish. Like they say in Afrikaans... 'n boer maak 'n plan! Took the drift wood and moved it to the side. Put in he tank divider I usualy use for when I am cleaning the tanks. (why I didnt think of this sooner I dont know!!!) Anyway!

When I got home this afternoon the female was no longer in with the male (I think the male was to agro towards her and se jumped over) So I took a closer look and... BABAS!!! Yip they are bloddy small but they are there! The dad seems to be looking after them well... Well thats what I think anyway! Pics them up und moves them around the nest and all that kind off stuff...

It just seems that it went tooo fast! One moment he starts building the nest and the next thing i know there are small fish! How long does the egs take to hatch??

So now that there is babys when do I start feeding them and what? please bare in mind that live food is a big no no!! Dont get it up here! Only thing I have is normal flake food! Went to the LFS today and they do not stock food for small fry! Dont ask me why! Is there any DIY baby food that will be good for them or should I just crush the flake food as small as I can and feed that to them?

Any help, as always will be mutch apreciated!

Kind regards
    Wikus

6. Gertjc

Gertjc Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Wikus, get some microworm going, or better still, BRINE shrimp! there are good advice on how to breed brine shrimp on the net. If you can not get brine shrimp eggs at your local LFS, then you can get from Prof Dirk -Excellent hatch rate! The best I personally have seen.
    When ordering brine shrimp eggs from him, please order the fine Goldstar no1,2,3 and 4.
    You can also look for Liquifry 1,2 and 3- fine powder. But like Dirk said - Feed BRINE shrimp!
    Good Luck!
    Gert.