Bloodrayne

Discussion in 'Please Introduce Yourself' started by Clare, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Clare

Clare Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    Hi APSA

I am new here. My name is Clare. I am a 32 year old female.

My main interest is purely aquatic plants and fish that will go well with aquatic plant landscaped tanks. I have seen some breathtaking photos of these types and I would like to start one. I am also new at this so this is my main reason why I have registered here to read up more on the how-do's before I start to avoid unnecessary hitches such as plant deaths, and fish dying because the water is not right or stuff like that.

I currently live in JHB South, originally born in Port Shepstone, grew up on a farm and eventually a year ago, I moved away to JHB to be with my partner. I work from home as a product adder and editor for an online IT shop. I love my job, the outdoors, animals, reading, cooking and gardening. I also love gaming online as well. :)

2. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi Clare

Welcome to APSA.

I'm glad you managed to make it past the spam detection this time. :)

Kind regards,
    Ryan

3. shihr

shihr Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    welcome! :)

4. boebie

boebie Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Welcome Clare!

5. Clare

Clare Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    Thanks Ryan... Finally got in...

Thanks everyone for the welcome...

Was talking to a friend a few days ago about modifying my CRT screen and turn it into a aquatic fish tank but I guess it takes time...

I have to cut it to let water in and out, then clean it out properly as with CRT screens, they have toxins inside and then set it up with lighting then once it's cleaned properly, I'll post some pictures of it.

I'm not using the CRT screen because mainly, I have a 23" LCD mounted on the wall so I thought I'd just recycle it and use it for something else.

6. Green_Fingers

Green_Fingers Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    A chick from the South that does aquatic plants and DIY- Wow!
    Welcome

7. traip

traip Noob

• APSA Member
    90%
    Hi Clare!

A warm welcome from "another chick who does (well has started doing!) aquatic plants and has no prob with DIY!"

I'm not quite sure that the Western Cape qualifies as south? ;D

Enjoy the new addiction!

Tracy

Clare likes this.
  8. Clare

Clare Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    Well, I never had a problem doing DIY since I was a kid. Building Treehouses with my brothers, helping family re-lay the aluminium roofing and getting rid of the asbestos roofing (we used to live on a farm for 16 years).

So I mostly did wood work as a hobby, worked with horses, had to fashion jumps at the local stables out of logs, plastic tubs, even a water barrel as barriers to prevent the horses from moving away from the approach of the jumps, I was even a farmer in my teens - raising up bull calves from birth to 2 weeks of age, until they are ready to be sold for meat. My parents were also briefly involved with the army and the local gunning club so I grew up with firearms, beating every single rifleman in the army with 15 seconds of dis-assembly and assemble of an R1 rifle back in around 1994/1995.

So naturally, being in JHB without access to the outdoors, it would be nice having some form of nature in the house. I only moved to JHB from KZN last year, leaving my golden lands behind. I used to spend a lot of time outdoors in the bush, taking photos of the beautiful landscapes (trees, unusal bush plants, flowers). Also having grown up in Port Shepstone, I would often help my uncles with cutting up fishing bait, cleaning out caught fish and all that. I, in fact, wasn't like my sister who was primp and proper. I was more of a wild tomboy - always taking the opportunity to break a wild horse or riding really difficult horses - it didn't faze me at all, it was a challenge to me. Plus I'm deaf too. This didnt' stop me from being able to prove time and again that I can do it. My life's motto is "Anything is Possible" and Helen Keller is my inspiration too.

Another thing about DIY, which reminds me, I used to and still am a IT technician so I often rebuild old computers, install software, hardware. I even build my own computer too. Sometimes, I find broken things and try to find a way to fix them - I have a toolbox full of screws, screwdrivers, long nose pliers, side cutters, cables (IT-related), cable ties, a glue gun, a soldering iron, and so much more. I've also installed new batteries for UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) when I was a apprentice workshop IT technician. I'll take a mouse or keyboard apart to clean it, assemble it back together and it will still work even after a coffee spill.

The other day, I had to fix a hinge that was coming loose from the dressing table - used my manual screwdriver with a handle, then screwed the hinge into a new place and it's holding very well. If you compare me to my bf, you will not believe that I am the person that wears the pants because he can't even fix simple things like wiring a new plug to an extension and stuff like that.

My dad taught me all this while I was growing up - being a farm girl, you gotta do what you have to do or you get left behind. There are many times when I go to visit my parents, they would often ask me to look at their computers and fix them.

So that's how I came to be a DIY type of person and when you don't really have anything to fix or make, then you get bored and need something to keep you busy. That's me. I'm a busy bee, not used to sitting on my bum doing nothing.

9. Keltezaa

Keltezaa Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Hello Friend...
    Welcome here at APSA

10. Clare

Clare Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    Wow it's been years since I posted here.

I have found myself a free fish tank that was lying around. Fixed up the one side panel that fell over with marine silicon, cleaned it up pretty well. Tested the pump that came with the lot - it works! The ballast light (10w) also works as well. I also found a heating mat that came with everything.

I would like to set up an aqua forest tank.

I have the following:

1. Bottom tray that allows the water to circulate through the bottom of the tank.
    2. A big pile of riverstones that came with the tank
    3. 1 x 10w white ballast light
    4. I have no idea of what the water pump is but there is a lever to adjust the water flow speed.
    5. A perspex cover to stop moisture from escaping.

Tank Size is 61 (L) x 34 (w) x 31 (H)

My idea is to have an aqua forest but then I need to consider balancing the water so first I need to start here before I even get the plants to start off with and then add the fish when the water is right. The area I live in gets pretty cold - up to -8*c in the winter. Also the ideal place for me to get supplies would be in Pietermaritzburg - there's quite a few big pet shops in town.

So where do I start?

11. Clare

Clare Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    Ok I took the plunge and did it. After just 5 days, I have noticed some new roots and did a 25% water change yesterday (7 days since I filled the tank up). I picked the plants out of the Mooiriver, surprised that they are doing well without any additional stuff. I had to remove the driftwood as it was just floating, starting to smell like old wet wood and there was some sort of algae bloom all over it.

I know I need to get liquid CO2 and liquid ferts - just been so hard to find a local aquatic shop that will sell me Seachem products. I might have to buy online instead as the product line seems pretty decent.

It looks like I have an Myriophyllum Scabratum that was growing emersed on the river, mind you it's winter season and the river is low, plus the plant just grew so I pulled it by the roots and planted it in a pot with river sand. I see that plant is on the banned species list so what to do? Remove it and chuck it out? Or just keep it and let it grow in the tank?

There is another one that I am not so sure what it is - maybe one of you can help identify it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. GDT78

GDT78 Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    Wellcome to APSA.

Quite an interesting setup you have.

For fertilizing your cheapest option would be EI.

Here is a link for some reading.
    http://www.apsa.co.za/xenforo/threads/ei-for-dummies.6142/

The plant in the last photo in the green pot is Myriophyllum Aquaticum AKA Parrot Feather. (blacklisted)
    Not too sure about the rest. Maybe try getting another photo of those plants.

What is that weird object in the front right corner ? :scratch:

13. fishy scales

fishy scales Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    welcome to APSA!

14. fishy scales

fishy scales Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    If u don't already have a light u should get 1:thumb:.The :icon_flower:will enjoy 1!

15. Clare

Clare Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    Old railway pin / peg that I found while walking along the river looking for plants, I found two and decided the tank would benefit from the old iron that would give the plants what it needs. :D

1 x 10w white ballast light (is that even right? It's a fluorescent light)

Thanks for the information, plenty of that along the river, growing emersed and I just nicked one to see what would happen. It closes it's new leaves at night and opens in the morning, even when I turn the lights out before I go to bed. The ones right at the back, I think are the reeds, seeing winter is on its way out and several new ones were shooting up so I nicked a few too, surprised that they're still shooting up new leaves and putting down new roots. When I go down to the river again, which isn't far, just 5 mins walk downhill, I'll take some photos of where I picked the plants (hoping the weather will be better then as it was freezing today) - sadly I am left with very little to choose from so I may just buy some nice ones from BetterWeather eventually. :headbang:

If it's blacklisted, is it illegal to keep it or screw that and keep it? :tongue3:

I have done nothing special except add Gromor plant food (the farmer in me said to try it out - 2ml for every 2L). *grins*

Gromor Plant Food is a plant food powder that you can add to water and feed your plants with it. Most nutrients are in it, I think. The tub is in the workshop with the list on it and it's locked right now, I'll have to check in the morning. I also can't find any info online, so I've emailed the company to ask them why it is not up there with the product.

Great link!!! I"ll follow that :angel4:

I don't seem to have a problem with water balancing as the pH is between 7.1 and 7.6 as I have a pH meter pen that my mom kept after we sold our farm years ago (my mom did hydroponics tunnel farming with tomatoes and peppers). I have been checking the water daily and it seems pretty much stable, and taking in consideration that the plants are growing fast in just 7 days. :sunny:

16. Clare

Clare Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    By the way, I forgot to mention that my water comes from the river, cos I live on a farm :whip2:

17. Clare

Clare Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    What the tank looked like when I fixed it all up - the one panel had already fallen off when I found it so I used aqua silicon

[​IMG]

I can't seem to get some decent pictures with my Blackberry phone and usually my Blackberry tablet takes pretty decent photos, both miserably failed so these are better than nothing.

These railway pegs / pins I found:

[​IMG]

Plants:

Sleeping at this time of the night, pretty interesting :) (sorry for the poor quality)

[​IMG]

No idea what this is, took it out of the tank, hoping I would be able to get a better photo of it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Might be grass but who knows? o_O

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think these may be reeds, I'll have to get a photo of the fully grown ones out by the river for positive identification:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice the new root growths - I've even removed the old brown leaves...

This is the river that I walked to and collected the plants from:

[​IMG]

18. Clare

Clare Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    Last post before I go off for the night

What the stuff looked like when I got it and cleaned it out:

[​IMG]

10w Light :)

[​IMG]

19. Shaun

Shaun Plant menace

• APSA Member
    10%
    Be adventurous and keep the parrot feather lol just don't ever put it back in the river rather take it out and dry it and then burn it!If I had the time and space I would have set up a tank just to keep blacklisted species.

Clare likes this.
  20. Clare

Clare Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    It was a nice day to go out and look for more plants. I happened to come across some snails in the river and nicked 3, ending up with four, after going through the plants and snails. Not sure if I can keep it in the tank. I"ll google a bit and see if I can come up with a match of the ones I picked up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay the plants that I have in my tank are the following that lives in the river:

Reeds
    [​IMG]

What Parrot Feather would look like growing in the wild.
    [​IMG]

New plants - will see if they will grow immersed :)

[​IMG]

@Shaun

See how I angle my phone camera and use "night" mode (in my case, applies to my Blackberry phone) (snow mode with my snail photos, normal mode shows them as darker so snow mode makes it brighter). Technology got better, though it can be a pain in the backside at times (I used to work in IT)...

[​IMG]