Big bully

Discussion in 'Discus' started by Len, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hy Len, I will start a seperate thread regarding the angels, but just to tell you that Dirk wont be able to sign up to APSA until the 29th.

2. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Thanks.

I now have 7, one more than I originally planned on.

Been reading on how many I can keep. Opinion differs, some literature says 1 per 40l, other 150l for the fist two, then 50l per discus?

I have never kept more than 5, so this is a biggest load I have had, readings still looking good, but I (my wife) is doing one 20% water change per day at the moment, will scale back to every second day from tomorrow.

Must admit, the dynamics in the big school is 10 time better than what happened before, and even although they pick on the shy one, it is nothing compared to what happen with the three on their own.

3. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    This guy has 90 discus in 1000 gallon. If google is corect that is 3785l, giving him a very thin margin of 42l per discus!

4. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Nor related to the topic, but related to the fish, as some of my new discuss hails from there.

I saw David Lim yesterday in Singapore. As we was bussy with a shipment, we did not get to much tyme to chat. Very impresive setup, with absolutly stunning fish.

He pointed me to some fish shops, thanks, was well worh the trip,

No, sorry, I can not bring some back :-(

5. Peter

Peter Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    It was a very busy time for David, but he apologies for not been able to give you his full hospitality, just bad timing....but very envious that you were able to meet him in person. My turn is next year. :yes

I’m sure you can squeeze more per 40lt but you also have to up the husbandry efforts. But back to topic, even with so many in that 4000lt tank, the hierarchy will continue until there is social order. I had 1 x discus in a 3 foot with an angel and some rummy nose and he was quit happy even though the angel set the boundaries. I later got another discus from a LFS and put him and all hell broke lose which lasted a good couple of weeks but things did settle down, their where times however, I wanted to reach in and give it a smack and tell it to behave. :evil

6. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Well, what a week. My wife call me in tears on Wednesday night, one of the new discuss has turned dark, is not eating and behaving weirdly. I was travelling back to SA and landed on Thursday morning. Upon inspection on Thursday morning, she was dark, but kept her shape. She was very aggressive and seems agitated.

Had to go to work, so left very worried. Ann called again late in the afternoon very excited, saying that they all (the discusses) has gone mad, and she think they are spawning.

Got back about ½ later, and most of the commotion has died down. (Pete, the story sounds a bit different after the excitement died down outside the tank). According to Ann, the female (see photo) started cleaning an area next to the filter inlet at about noon. She then started shaking and the males started prodding her and rubbing up against her. Ann said she say "white stuff"

7. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi

Here is a pic of the three males. On the right is the big bully :taz, a pigeon blood that I have had for about three years. Rescued him from Killarney Pet shop, and he grew up in a community tank, so don’t think he will reach giant proportions of the others.

In the middle is my favourite, one of Peter’s crosses between a german red and a pigeon.

The one on the right is a pigeon/leopard cross from Davis. Interesting, according to Peter it started live as a solid coloured discus and only started showing the markings in the last few months. I though discusses only have one set of colours and don’t change?
    :scratch:

8. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Here is my problem child, a very shy red melon. It is taking a hammering from the others and now is living on its own in this corner. Not getting to eat. I wish I could help it more.

Nice shot of the leopard as well.

9. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I also have a small, but very spunky brilliant blue. It is my favourite colour for a discus. Although small, it is not near the bottom of the pecking order. With it is the "spawning"

10. Peter

Peter Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi Len

The first pic is Brother and Sister, which have paired up again for you. In their batch (when they were teeny weenie babies) the ratio was in favour of the "Pigeon"

11. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I will try, they are still very camera shy and got to take photo's from a distance.

12. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    They have settled in nicely, all accept the little Melon.

13. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Here is the leopard from the side.

I always thought (watching to much Discovery) that discus’s pattern will be a unique fingerprint marking. Guess not, if a leopard can change its spots?

14. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    And another one view

15. Peter

Peter Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    They look very happy in their new home, your Melon will settle down and will come to the top to feed from you hand..
    cool photo's.... lets see how much more his spots change....

16. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Eggs!!!!

My (not so new) discusses has laid eggs! These are the ones I got from Peter about two months ago. :yes

Found about 200 eggs with two very attentive parents guarding it tonight when I when to feed my tank.

Although very existed, I am very upset that they will not be able to bring up the babies as they are in a community tank. Peter tells me there is now way that I will get the babies to survive. My family are very upset, so if anyone knows of a way to do it, pls help.

17. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    :wow

18. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi Len

With my angels I wait till they are almost free swimming and then I pull them from the parents leaving a few for them to brood over.

With discus the problem is obviously that the fry need to feed on the parents, but I know there are some substitutes feeds available

19. Peter

Peter Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Great news Len,

What a lot you got and great photos... her "tube"

20. ivansa

ivansa Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    :wow

Babies on the way :thumb: