Big bully

Discussion in 'Discus' started by Len, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Add two discusses to my tank with its one surviving. I added a bigger one and a smaller one than the resident one. The resident one is now bulling the big new discus non stop. It is not allowing it to feed, and have rammed it into the wood so badly that its face is now scared. It is not bulling the small one at all.

The poor new (bigger) discus looks bedraggled, but show no fin rot or infections on its scars. It tries to get food and if I gaurd it with the net from the other one (don’t laugh) it eats well.

Hate watching this, what am I to do?

PS. Though about giving the old one some time in my new SW tank to show who is the top dog, but that may be a bit extreme?

2. CAtfishluvva

CAtfishluvva Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    This is one reason I do not like keeping Cichlids, dang things are so unpredictable! I hate it when they fight like this... Please explain SW tank?

I would separate the combatants with a plate of glass for a few days/weeks to allow them to get "used" to each other...

That rarely worked for me though...

3. Peter

Peter Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi Len

The resident Discus has claim to the tank and now has two intruders in his territory, which he now wants to defend "at all cost"

4. MichaelW

MichaelW Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I had the exact same problem with angelfish about a week ago. I removed a sick angelfish for about two weeks, then I put him back in the display tank but by the following day he was badly battered and scarred.

So what I did is then remove all the other angels and only leave the single one in the display tank. So hopefully when I add all the angels back into the tank things should sort themselves out - or at least thats what Im hoping. Anyone think this will work? ;)

Wouldnt another method be to re-arrange the tank before you put the fish in - and therefore removing the territories they previously had.

5. Pedro

Pedro Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    This method has always worked for me and my dad when we introduced new Malawis into our setups. Also, whenever problems would erupt in a tank with the inhabitants, we would do a one third water change and close up all "nests" made and make a few very slight re-arrangements to curb their aggression.

Worked hundreds...

6. KimH

KimH Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Pedro I fully agree with that method. As you all know one of the most difficult fish to add newcomers with is a pre-pubescent oscar. When I bought my Severum from Nick, we removed the oscar first, re-scaped the entire tank and added the Sev in first. I'm happy to say that they get along very well now, the oscar will occassionally play up and harrass the sev, but that's usually when I'm paying more attention to the sev... as Henk will tell you - my oscar is a total drama queen :yes

7. Peter

Peter Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi

The thing with discus that I have found, even if you rearrange the tank you will still have a "pecking order"

8. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    OK, plannted a bunch of new plants, moved some wood around, lets see what happens.

Why is it not harrasing the smaller one?

It is looking a bit better, some shine in its fins, will give it live food to see if it helps.

Don't have a second tank anymore, but yes, it worked in the pass to remove the aggresor. :doo

PS SW tank is those type of tanks we don't talk about, very hard water, pH of 8.2 and plants don't grow so well in it, corals do though

9. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Hi Len,

Discus are by nature a schooling fish and are happiest if they are kept as a school of at least six fishes. One bully would also not be able to keep 5 other fishes at bay and the bullying just simply would not be as bad as when you keep three fish. If the bullying persists move the bully out for a few days and then move him back and it might improve but if it does persist you will have to add more discus, or else the bully will stop the others from eating to such an extent that they will not eat enough and then the next problem will set in. You could also put in a separating net into the tank, you could simply get some of this very coarse plastic grid that one can buy from the garden shop as a border fence against dogs and cats. If you buy a piece about one meter in length, you can tie the ends together in a circle, and let this circle then stand in the tank, with your bully in the middle! After a while you can then remove it again.

CAtfisluvva, this behaviour is also not unpredicable, it is exactly what I would expect in this situation with discus.

MichaelW, angelfish will not tolerate each other once they have reached a certain size and are starting to pair off. How large are your fish? Discus in larger schools will be happy and you will not find a single one that is injured, scalare angels will rip each other to shreds. Altum angels again are far better behaved and will also not rip into each other all the time.

The aggression of Malawis and large South American cichlids is far far greater than discus, they are really mild in comparison, as a matter of fact you cannot really compare them at all.

Kind regards,

Dirk

10. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    OK, looks like I am forced to buy more discusses now :yes will go shopping this week!

Was hoping to add to the fish load gradually up to 5 dicusses but this bulling thing is to much for me.

Like the net idea, as it will not disrup the tank to much , just hope that the smaller fish don't get stuck that just fit trough?

11. Peter

Peter Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Len

I have some that need a home in which you are welcome to have.

12. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Big pls. Where are you based? I am leaving on Friday for a week, so need to do it in the next few day if the poor discus wants to have a change.

pls email me on lenpienaar at fnb dot co dot za

13. MichaelW

MichaelW Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi Dirk

My Angelfish are just over 10cm in length. I have four in a 4ft tank, and luckily they seem to have made two pairs. So will I have to seperate them soon then?

14. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Hi Len,

Looks like you have fallen with your bottom into the butter with that offer from Peter. I just hope that you have got a competent baby-sitter for the time whilst you are away. I may suggest that you postpone getting this fish from Peter until after your return as this can bring another set of problems and if you are not there to check on things, you may come home to a disaster. Instead, the net trick may be better for the period whilst you away.

Hi MichaelW,

You may just, just, get away with two breeding pairs of angels in a four footer. Try to construct some barriers like wood or plants and they may be OK, but you might find that if one pair has babies, the male might want to attack the other pair looking like a Messerschmidt as he flies in for the attack on his side. Angels can be particularly vicious when they have young, but can you blame them? In the Amazon everything is forever trying to eat everything else, so you need to be pretty agro to keep yourself going. What you can again consider is putting in the same type of course plastic mesh netting to separate the tank into two halves during breeding and this may solve your problem. However, any additional angels put into this tank will be smashed and you should not even think of this.

Hope my advice helps.

Kind regards,

Dirk

15. MichaelW

MichaelW Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Thanks Alot

I placed them all back into the tank, they seem to have gone back into their previous pairs but there still seems to be some bickering between them. I will try what you suggested. Im trying to sell them at the moment in anycase, so I guess I will do whatever I can while I still have them.

Anyway, back to Discus then? ;)

16. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    On the discuses, it is going better, think the planting thing helped a bit. It still bullies it, but I guard it when I feed, so it is looking better, got some blue and red colour back and even fought for its own food tonight.

Interestingly the small (blue) discuss is now beginning to "attack" the resident one, twice its size! Think I know where my money is on the dominant one on a few weeks.

Hope to add some more tomorrow.

Decided to not go for the divider, worried about hurting the RAMs.

17. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Dirk, you can say the butter thing again! I now have four of the most beautiful discusses ever to grace my tank. :worthy Peter’s "not for shows"

18. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Dirk, I was not aware that there are different species (?) of angles? What is the differance, and how do you reconise them?

PS. should we start another tread for this?

19. Len

Len Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Al lthe new discusses is still doing well, but still worried about the shy red one, it is either in a nose up or nose down position for most of the time?

Will post pictures on Friday.

20. City bowl

City bowl Noob

• APSA Member
    How many discus do you have?