Better photos

Discussion in 'General photography questions' started by Chongkie, Oct 7, 2014.

1. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    In high light situations you're not going to see the difference as big with low light and high ISO... And again, depends very much on camera and body. And now I'm really going around in circles but will repeat, experiment, experiment, experiment.

2. Singu

Singu Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    another tip, if you want settings from a specific photo on a forum or whatever, save the photo to your computer, then go to your library where the photo is saved, right click on the photo, click properties, on that window that pops up click details at the top, and if the exif data is intact it will tell you everything, from what camera to what focal length.

shihr and AdrianT like this.
  3. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Good tip. (except mine, as they're resized with Pixresizer which reduces quality and erases EXIF info) That's also useful for buying a 2nd hand camera as you can see how photos the camera has taken. But be warned, it's easy to adjust EXIF info so take the photo of the camera in question yourself, and check it :)

4. Singu

Singu Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    one more ISO 3200 on an entry level 550D about 5 years ago, with a bit of clean up in PS, just found it in my photobucket library....
    [​IMG]

5. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Again, loads of natural light. So not going to be an issue. Camera handled it well though. Give 300mm or greater focal length with high ISO as comparison... ;)

6. shihr

shihr Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    i agree with Adrian here.. lower light and higher iso defn means more graininess in the darker areas

AdrianT likes this.
  7. Singu

Singu Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    im not disputing that at all, I am just saying with modern slr`s the higher iso`s is very usable, if you follow a simple ps tutorial on cleaning up noise and if you shoot in raw.... that's all....

AdrianT likes this.
  8. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    At a guess, I'd say 95% of people on APSA don't even have access to Photoshop, or Lightroom, nor do they wish to. So I was trying to keep it simple. As I said, stuff like that, scares people off. They hear the word "noise", and comments like, "you must avoid that", and Photoshop and RAW, they're like aggggg, screw it :icon_rabbit:

Modern cameras are frikken amazing as to what they can do! This afternoon I'll try some ISO 3000 or whatever shots on macro and see how it comes out. My guess, not very well :) However that proves nothing and I am not against you @Singu Just to be clear :glass: And I'll do it as an experiment for myself. Then I'll use that same ISO and go outside and take some leaf photos or whatever I can find. Should be interesting, at least for me!

9. Singu

Singu Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    If you are going to spend R10k+ on camera gear I suggest you spend the R600 to get photoshop elements aswell, no brainer if you ask me.

10. Chongkie

Chongkie Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    Guess you guys are right though with Photoshop... even the best photos have been "touched up" with PS.

Will try fiddle with the setting and upload some pics and see how it goes.

11. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    As a challenge, send me a photo Sunny and I'll try improve it in PS. PS is great, and if you have the skill like my ex-girlfriend you can manipulate images hectically as did, making models more beautiful than they actually are (surprise, surprise) but it can't make a crap photo great. That's the honest truth.

12. Singu

Singu Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Ok adrian, you win, all you need is a camera to make awesome photos...... photo shop was made for people that want to just make models skin flawless.

13. Singu

Singu Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    I am posting on www.photography-on-the.net as we speak that we have all had it wrong, all you need is a camera, no need for hours of post processing, the camera can do it for you, who knew !

14. dart

dart Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
  15. AdrianT

AdrianT Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Lol, you've got issues. I never said you only need a camera. The thread is aimed at NORMAL PEOPLE WANTING TO IMPROVE. Not professionals, or serious photographers. If someone really wanted to learn how to take incredible photos, they'd not be learning on an aquatic forum ;)

16. dart

dart Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    I'm pretty sure that most professionals would be horrified to hear their opinions being characterised as photoshop being more important than actual photographic skills. Quite the strawman that....

If you want to take better photos then learn to take better photos :). Photoshop is amazing but mostly you should aim to have it help you get your photo to look more like the reality did. Remember cameras *always* lie. Nothing can replace good photographic technique though.

Lets all go look at our plants/fish for a bit and relax?

AdrianT likes this.
  17. Singu

Singu Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    So what you are saying, is that you dont let the camera decide what shutter speed etc to use by shooting in manual, but you let the camera edit your images for you, then you might aswell just put it on greenbox and use it as a point and shoot.

people that buy slr cameras are usually a bit more advanced than normal people as you put it. It will be way harder to get any kind of decent tank/fish pics with a point and shoot because of shutter lag and so on.

18. Singu

Singu Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Ai dart, since the invent of digital cameras post processing have been part of the art, you know kind of like the dark room days with film, where they also manipulated the images after the fact

19. dart

dart Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    @Singu agree... But I never said anything to the contrary (I said "photoshop is amazing") nor in my opinion did @AdrianT.

My point was that you can't ignore technique just because you have photoshop. And I very much doubt there are any pros who would say that. My advice would be to learn the basics well, learn to see creatively etc. Part of learning is learning to use photoshop, or some other editing package, but only part of it.

@AdrianT's simple advice on the 1st page is great advice IMO. I'm not really sure how this turned into an argument. Perhaps it is just the nature of forums and it being hard to read people's tone / intention?

shihr and AdrianT like this.
  20. f-fish+plants

f-fish+plants Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Nice thread .. and some background as to why it interests me. I have several Camera's but recently - Thanks to Richard in no small way getting me back into arduino and then raspberry pi I have been playing with a very simple RPi camera with "The sensor itself has a native resolution of 5 megapixel, and has a fixed focus lens onboard. In terms of still images, the camera is capable of 2592 x 1944 pixel static images ... " It has given me a new appreciation for DSLR's and the amount of IP the goes into some of these things. But what it highlighted is an actual need for what gives you "better photos" - call it a technical check box gauge of sorts.

As an initial need ( and since I am slightly colour blind) I would love to be able to put some sort of colour chart / ball / thing mid way in the tank and then colour / tone calibrate a device. In the case of my RPi projects I might want to try my hand at an auto config. In the normal digital camera world it might be useful to have such a reference that one can use to compare what you get vs what you expect on an uploaded image.

One of my longer term goals is to be able to monitor and alert on water quality based on the change of the hue in the water column. For this I need a valid reference. So I am planing on building the logic to detect ambient light, once pitch black - switch on some standard illumination ( probably LED's ) take a snapshot and based on that analysis give some indication on water quality. So you can see why having an in tank calibration reference is key and how I see this tying up to taking better photos.

Anybody know of such a calibration reference - I am thinking something similar to those pantone calibration charts one gets for printers and screens.

Later Ferdie

berrycam11.PNG

PS Above some tweaking can be done on the device BerryCam is a cool project for playing with the config without getting to technical.