banjo's Second Attempt

Discussion in 'Aquascaping and Member's Setups' started by banjo, Oct 10, 2006.

1. banjo

banjo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi All,

I'm going to be documenting my second attempt to get my tank here. The reason for this is in the topic below. go check it out.
    http://www.fishforum.co.za/index.php/topic,304.0.html

Yesterday I setup a second temp tank with one of my big tanks filters, to try get the bacteria going quickly. Tonight I'm going to test the water and see if its safe to put in some fish. I want to start my re attempt ASAP. I dont want to loose anymore fish.

Tomorrow night I'll be putting in the first of the refugees. and hopefully have all the substrate ingredients ready for the tank so that Wednesday night I'll begin with the substrate.

Till next time ... banjo

EDIT:
    I'm going to be journalling this process ... so all feed back is welcome.

I have posted this same topic on another forum ... so if youve read it before my apologies.

2. banjo

banjo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Well, a short update.

Last night I put 4 guppies into one of the temp tanks. This morning they were all doing fine ... although I found them huddled by the heater ???
    I turned it up slightly. I fed them and they were fine, came to the food and started munching.

In the main tank, I found that one of my neons didn't look so good so I transfered him to the hospital ward, where he seems to be getting better. I just treated him with general treatment.

I have about another 40 or so fish to move across to temporary tanks so that I can work on the main one. I'm worried that by moving them all to the temp tanks all of a sudden its going to cause even more drama. I'm tired of loosing fish in my main tank so thats why I need to redo it, but on the same note I don't want to loose any fish during the temporary housing time either.
    ??? ??? ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!!!! ??? ???

3. City bowl

City bowl Noob

• APSA Member
    Banjo you have checked everything... nitrates included, and I suppose you havn't put too much medication in the tank. The stress of moving the fish could be as bad as leaving them where they are, are you sure it's the water and if so what? It doesn't sound like a pH problem, how much water did you change?? What are your filter arrangements how long was the tank set up for when did you last put fish in and how many are in the tank?

4. banjo

banjo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    I had a full water test done by a LFS everything.
    here are the results I got.
    Nitrate: Below 5 Mg/l
    Nitrite: 0 Mg/l
    Ammonia: 0 Mg/l
    pH: 6.1
    KH (general hardness): 140 Mg/l
    Carbonate: Below 20 Mg/l

Even after the test i was still loosing fish. After a lot of discussion i have come to the conclusions and descisions that I have made. check out my other post "Banjo's Setup" viewtopic.php?t=1 in this forum for finer details of my current setup.

thanks for the interest.

5. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi Banjo

I see you have 40 fish in that tank? How big is it?

6. banjo

banjo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    1200mm (long) x 450 mm (wide) x 550 mm (high)

I was actually looking at the space it occupies ... i should have gone for the 2000 mm option. too late now.

Why do you ask?

7. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    It seems quite a bit overstocked for a tank running 3 or 4 months.

Some parasite or other nasty might have been introduced into the tank with some of the purchaces.

My advice:

Remove them to the new (bare bottom) tanks. Dissolve and add salt until you are at 1 teaspoon per 4 liters.
    Increase temp (for the fish that can handle it) to 28/29 degrees to get their immune systems going optimally.
    Feed well to fuel their immune systems.
    Add some myxazin for the full course (5 days).

Remember to add additional airation to the tanks to compensate for the lower oxygen levels due to the higher temperature.

Do small daily water changes (add enough salt to keep the levels constant).

Hopefully this will knock out the problem.

When you tear down your old tank clean it out thoroughly with bleach and rinse well afterwards.

Hope this helps.

8. banjo

banjo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Thanks Andre!

Much appreciated!

9. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    I forgot to add:

The reason why the new tanks have to be bare bottom is that you can clean them much easier.

After feeding you siphon off any uneaten food and also any fish waste.

10. banjo

banjo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Thanks

11. banjo

banjo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    here is a quick update... I have found a fish sitter for my fish for the next month or so while I redo the tank. ... many hours of work ahead.

D-Day ... 14th October 2006

well, the weekend is here and the count down begins. I'll be posting the progress tomorrow as I go along.

Any final last words or suggestions? ... suggestions are ALWAYS welcome

12. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Good luck :)

13. banjo

banjo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    The rebuild was a success!!!

I got an exam tomorrow so I'll only be putting the pics and story up tomorrow night.

Thanks for all the support, guys! U R DA BEST!!!

Till tomorrow!

14. banjo

banjo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Saturday the 14th October 2006 ... The big rebuild.

Well where to begin ... I suppose at the beginning.

This all came about when I started having my lovely fish dying on me ... another thread. So here is how I did it and we will have to see what the final outcome is ... in the weeks to come. http://www.fishforum.co.za/index.php/topic,304.0.html

The day started at 8am sharp, with me jumping into my car to go down to Panorama to get a few things. On the list was Tetra Aqua safe, New Sponges for fluvals ... (me being the idiot only bought four sponges instead of eight), a digital thermometer and a five in one test kit. Andre met me there with some very mature filter wool (THANKS ANDRE!!!). D3tained was on hand to help me out ... thanks buddy your input was greatly appreciated.

It was then off to SB for some water... Thanks SB, it is greatly appreciated. It was then off home to put this entire thing together.

On arrival coffee was first on the menu. We then proceeded to drain the tank and get the substrate ingredients ready for insertion into the tank. I had baked the clay balls (more like clay blobs...the clay was too moist to physically roll into a ball) the night before. D3tained tackled the arduous task of sifting through the river soil (courtesy of Rattail ... Thanks mate, and for all your advice). I took on the red fluorite. After loads of water later, I managed to get the water to be clear of the muddy dust that was in the bag. The river soil was sifted and ready to be mixed with the rose and shrub mix.

The tank by now was empty of most of the water, we then took out 75kg’s of fine brown gravel, took out most of the water left behind. We were now ready to begin the layering process. We left a 10mm layer of the gravel on the bottom, followed by scattering the clay balls and then covering this with the red fluorite. Next was the river soil/Rose and shrub mix mixture. This layer was probably the thickest so far. It spread nice and evenly. Lastly came the layer of the fine brown gravel. I made this layer thick as I have a couple bottomers that will like to bury themselves, and I don’t want them to get to far into the substrate ... the plant roots will grow through this quite quickly I reckon.

Next came water, while the tank was filling at a trickle the design phase of the placement of the wood took place... well the picture is the way we placed it... what happened in the tank was much much better. By now the tank was about 25% full, killed the water and went to place the wood and start the planting of the plants. This went well, I like where all the plants are placed. Now to wait for them to grow out a bit and to see what it will look like then.

Thanks d3tained for ALL your help ... and the donation of those two great pieces of wood. I hope that our attempt here is going to be successful. I really appreciate all your help.

After completing the planting, the hose was switched back on to fill the rest of the tank. I stopped the water about 50L short of filling the tank... added half a bottle of Tetra Aqua safe and mixed that in. I then added 50L of the water that SB kindly donated. While the tank was filling I put the canister filters back together with the media, plastic and ceramic bio balls. I split the new sponges between the two filters so each one got 2 new sponges. I squeezed out the mature filter sponge from Andre over the sponges and inserted them into the filters. Filled the canisters with the mature water and then got them going. Well the current started and the plants were swaying nicely in the current. I have put my heater ant the bottom of the tank parallel with the floor with an air stone underneath to distribute the heat. My spray bar I put as close to the bottom as possible and pointed it towards the top of the tank, this has also added a nice flow to the tank.

Once the tank was full and I had all the filters, heaters and power heads going, I added the Organic Aqua startup kit, with all the bacteria, health treatment and the general treatment. It is claimed that I can add fish immediately but I’m going to wait at least a week before I add any fish.

I have got my heater at 22 degrees but my digital thermometer is reading 27.3 degrees. So I don’t know what to do there. It’s a Jagger 300W and apparently it can be recalibrated ... but there is no instructions on how to do that.

Well that is my story... it was actually a lot of fun redoing my tank. Now I’m going to sit back and enjoy the view. I’m going to be doing water changes every 2 days for the next week to get the tank cycled nicely. On the weekend, I’ll be going to pick up a few of my fish to put back in. and we’ll see what happens.

Thanks to one and all for all your help and support. A special shout out goes to Henk Hugo (for all his advice and support when everything was going wrong), Rattail (for his advice and input into this process, and river soil), d3tained (helping with the construction and donation of a few goodies), GDJ (for the loan of a tank to house my plants), Andre, SB and all those that I can’t remember by name.

Thank you for being a community that helps and cares.

I have 3 zip files with the photos in them. go to http://www.fishforum.co.za/index.php/topic,358.msg3583/topicseen.html#new to get them. I'll be posting some nice tank shots in the next couple days.

15. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Lol... was that d3tained that was with you at panorama?

Glad I could help.

Cheers

Andre

16. Rattail

Rattail Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    The tank looks good! But pray tell: why did you put power heads in?

and please tell me a bit more about using airstones under the gravel to distribute heat? sounds interesting...?

17. R.C.

R.C. Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    23%
    Looking good, "banjo".   :tool:

18. banjo

banjo Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    @ Andre : yes that was!

@ Rattail:
    The power head is what drives my spraybar ... there are no power heads that just point against the glass and move the water.

I read somewhere that putting an air stone under your heater helps to distribute the heat more evenly and quickly. I'll have to look it up to tell you exactly where I got that info from.

19. Andre

Andre Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    lol

Sorry for not greeting you d3tained, had no idear that it was you :)

Cheers man

20. GDJ

GDJ Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Good luck Banjo.