Baby Discus sometimes has cysts comming out of its bottom

Discussion in 'Discus' started by fred, Dec 10, 2010.

1. fred

fred Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    I have a Cobalt blue baby discus, but a few times it had some red bubble like cysts coming out its bottom. I put it in a quarantine tank for 2 days, the cysts went away, they come and go at random, the baby discus has become dark blue and hangs alone in the tank. He eats away at small amounts of food on the rocks... All the other Discus and Angels in the tank are fine. Any ideas? I have taken some pictures but not very clear... Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks guys!!!

2. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    What has happened to this fellow?

Kind regards,

Dirk

3. fred

fred Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Very sad, he died. He was the only little one which had this problem, before his death, his colours degraded big time, he stopped eating for a few weeks and found him dead in the morning. All his brothers and sisters are much bigger and very healthy, perhaps he had genetic problems?

4. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Hi Fred,

I am sorry to hear that this guy has not made it, but what you have seen here is a classic case of flagellate infection, this is by no means genetic. What happens is that in a small group of discus such as you have domination plays a big role and if a fish is being dominated then it simply gets pushed away from all food. The next thing is that they in no time develop almost a psychological problem about trying to get away from the bullying and they then stop eating completely. This allows flagellate organisms which all discus carry to take over. These are organisms that live in the gut and this will cause inflammation to the gut and for this reason the fish will begin producing these white stringy faeces as you have seen. It is also a classic picture that one fish starts with this whilst the others all look perfectly healthy.

What should you do about this problem?

Firstly, you must check your diet to see that it is varied and very importantly contains enough vitamin C. Foods like tetrabits that have on the label that the food contains vitamin C is not enough, you need some beefheart mixtures that have been specifically formulated with vegetable content with high vitamin C levels. Some of these mixtures also contain garlic which is good against these organisms as well. YOU MUST HAVE SOME OF THESE MIXTURES IN YOUR DIET OR ELSE I CAN GUARANTEE YOU THAT MORE OF YOUR FISHES ARE ALSO GOING TO START WITH THIS PROBLEM. What are you feeding?

The organisms that cause these infections are as I say flagellates which is a specific class of microscopic bugs that have whip-like structures in order to move, scientifically we call these a flagellum, or flagella. Although these can be viewed to be parasites, they are not parasitic worms, those belong to a different class of organisms called helminths. Why am I explaining this? Because you must not use a medication against parasitic worms against these organisms as this would not affect them at all. I would suggest that you treat your fishes with metranidazole at a dosage of 7 Mg/litre. After three days do a 50% water change and then repeat the dosage again and after three days do another 50% water change. Metranidozole is a medication that is very mild and has no side-effects on discus, I have used it many times before. You can go to your pharmacist and ask for this medication, it is sometimes sold as Flagyl and comes in a 400 Mg and 200 Mg tablet, but any generic medication will be fine. Humans also get these sorts of infections although the flagellates that infect the fishes ARE DEFINITELY NOT INFECTIVE FOR HUMANS, they are fish specific. Crush the tablets between two tablespoons and throw the medication directly into the tank. It makes a white cloud in the tank, but will dissolve slowly. The medication does not influence plants either.

Finally, there is one very important message here and that is that you MUST TREAT the cause of the problem and not the symptom. In order words, you must correct this problem by feeding correcting, in the long run this will mean that this problem will not recur. Medication should only be used to overcome the problem if it becomes acute, in other words if you see symptoms. It is also difficult to get a fish to recover once he/she has stopped eating and you would need to coax it to eat by feeding live mosquito larvae. You also do not kill all of the parasites by using the medication, they persist in spite of medication, so this problem does not go away permanently. It is one of the biggest problems when keeping discus and one should keep this in mind all the time if one keeps discus.

Kind regards,

Dirk