Authoritative Book on Discus in Planted Aquariums

Discussion in 'Discus' started by Fanie Jordaan, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Fanie Jordaan

Fanie Jordaan Noob

• APSA Member
    90%
    While I know the web - inclusive of this forum - contain an incredible wealth of information on the above topic and call me old fashioned if you so wish, but I still appreciate a good book on a topic of interest.
    While by no means one would expect a single opinion, which book(s) in your opinion deals authoritative with the topic of Discus in Planted Aquariums holistically?

2. neilh

neilh Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
  3. Laure

Laure Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
  4. Dirk B

Dirk B Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    Hi Fanie,

From my extensive experience in keeping discus and accumulating books before the age of websites, I can say to you that the amount of useful information on discus in books in the English language is few and far between. Even on new websites I find this information dubious, as it is not scrutinized by anyone and only an expression of an opinion primarily. For this reason the amount of useful information on keeping discus in planted tanks is also very limited unfortunately. The German press is better on this front, but I am not quite up to date on the latest books there either.

Keeping discus in a planted tank is a contradiction in terms in my opinion. Plants need fertilizer added to the water, discus don't like that; plants require gravel, but discus produce so much waste that it will get lodged in the gravel and regular maintenance is therefore required, plants want a stable environment, discus want regular water changes and so I can carry on.... It can however be done, but it is labour intensive, without that either the plants or the discus will suffer.

Hope my comments are not too off-putting, sorry, but they should not put you off keeping discus, they are still stunning in my opinion!

Kind regards,

Dirk