For sale Assassin Snails

Discussion in 'Fish for sale or trade' started by ShepherdR, Jun 10, 2016.

1. shihr

shihr Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    so.. not to put a dampener on this. but how legal is it to keep/breed/sell assassins?

I've heard that they can still pose a threat to the environment..

DC88 likes this.
  2. Deadpool

Deadpool Algae destroyer Staff Member

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    +1 @shihr ... ALL SNAILS are blacklisted, unfortunately as they come in with plants, fish imports, etc (mostly as eggs)...there's no real way to guard against them.

DC88 likes this.
  3. shihr

• Super Admin
    23%
    sure there isnt.. but there are still laws prohibiting us to keep, sell or give away these. so it doesnt make it legal to say they come with plants etc..

its got nothing to do with me but im just pointing out the legality of this and that you do this at your own risk.. you cant plead ignorance if you get caught..

APSA has never been one to condone or block these kinds of posts but you should still know where you stand with this according to the law. buy/keep / share at your own risk

the unfortunate thing is that these posts are on a public website and can be used as evidence in future if they catch you.

so just a warning so everyone knows..

Deadpool likes this.
  4. Deadpool

Deadpool Algae destroyer Staff Member

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    Agreed...same can be said for shrimp, crayfish & other illegal/black listed fish, amphibians, inverts, plants, etc

mattie, Adrian and shihr like this.
  5. shihr

• Super Admin
    23%
    yep. but you will be surprised how many ppl dont know. so rather inform everyone and not make it a norm so ppl feel its legal

i've hear of ppl illegally catching crab etc and for females, they fine you per egg that that female is carrying.. each female can carry thousands of eggs

mik786 likes this.
  6. ShepherdR

ShepherdR Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    My understanding is that you may breed and sell locally, but you may not import??

7. TheGrissom

TheGrissom Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    That sounds a bit dodgy to me. Like saying I may sell all the heroin i want but I am not allow to manufacture it. Perhaps a bit over the top but still think it applies. I think the issue here is that there is no definitive law for anyone to follow. Surely no importing means no selling and distribution as well? They must have been imported or smuggled in, even if it was accidental (like with plants). What happens if DAFF says they are illegal. Now everyone that has them is breaking the law. At the end of the day the aquarium hobby will suffer if aquariasts are irresponsible.

8. shihr

• Super Admin
    23%
    nope. totally illegal

there is a list of banned aquatic species and last i checked, snails were on it

like i said, its got nothing to do with me. but ppl must be informed. you cant change the law to suit the situation

9. JsPLANT'd

JsPLANT'd Noob

• APSA Member
    5%
    Shrimp, lobsters, snails etc. . All being sold for quite a few years openly by alot of LFS and private guys on open forums and sites like olx and gumtree.. nothing ever came of it, no arrests ,fines etc.. so in my humble opinion, these things are majorly overlooked by authorities, just saying , they can't even run the country properly, what makes u think they going to even care about these things

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

10. epiphysis

epiphysis Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    We had this debate to death and back again ever since I joined this forum.

Firstly, I know of a few very active guys from this forum that left the hobby after they got caught with shrimp. Not selling or breeding, just keeping them as display back when it was completely blacklisted. The penalties were quite hefty. So they do act on information especially on open forums like these.

Secondly, the reason these species are blacklisted is not to be funny or make money for Nkandla 2.0, but these species are highly invasive and destructive towards our indigenous fauna and flora.

The authorities might not be able to run our country but its still our job as responsible fishkeepers to look after our natural resources.

DC88, shihr, mik786 and 2 others like this.