Are you ready to keep Discus ?

Discussion in 'Discus' started by MZ89, Jan 17, 2014.

1. MZ89

MZ89 Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Hi,

I've been doing some reading regarding the keeping of Discus. Many forum members on this forum (and others) suggest research (tons of reading and reading), and even the keeping of other fish species prior to obtaining Discus. As there is no entrance or practical exam and no objective way of measuring experience, and the quality thereof.... I would like to know from those that have and are successfully keeping Discus, what made you feel that you are now ready to keep Discus?

PS. I've read up on filtration, the importance of water quality and consistency thereof, feeding, behaviour, biotopes etc.. etc. etc

Regards,

MZ89

2. Slagter

Slagter Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    Discus are not difficult fish to keep. It's just the maintenance required to keep discus happy, can be somewhat daunting to most novice fishkeepers.

I started keeping discus about 6 years ago. I didn't know much, and I bought 6 crappy, stunted store bought fish. They were my pride and joy, but because I didn't know much about feeding them as juveniles, they never did well, and eventually died. It was absolutely my fault.

Then an opportunity arrived for me to get Wild X Blue discus, and I did my homework properly. But this time, the fish arrived at an almost adult size, and they were easier to keep. I had them in a planted tank, but eventually moved them to their own tank in my spare room. Those fish were stunners, but I only had 4. So the 3 bigger ones ganged up on the smaller of the 4 and beat him to death, before my replacement tank was cycled.

Now with My F1 Xingus, the ball game has changed even more. I got them as very small juvies. Less than 5cm. So feeding them 6 - 8 times a day, water changes every second day with RO. Remineralized. Then once a week there is a big 40% water change. And they are fussy as hell, and will not eat any food if I am in the room. They don't like light, they don't like me, they don't like it when I water change, they chase the Sterbai Corries away from them... They're a rather unfriendly bunch. LOL! But when they are big, they will be amazing. I've had them for about 3-4 months, and the bigger guys are already the size of my hand. So they are getting there.

This just proves that all discus are different. The tank bred strains will be the best to start with.

My suggestion to you would be to go to someone like Andrew or Prof Dirk's house and see how they care for their fish. Books can't teach you half as well as what an experienced person can teach you in person.

3. Pierré Schoonraad

Pierré Schoonraad Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    I agree 100% with what Slagter said. You will get 500 oppinions from 500 people if you ask them about Diskus. There are the experts and then there are the lucky ones. I am no expert but I decided to get myself 3 Diskus to put in my 3 ft tank. I got hammered for this by various members on another forum about this. Yes I lost 1 of them but I think it wasn't 100% when I got him. The remaing 2, who were supose to beat the crap out of one another, live a happy live in my 3 ft. Yes I do 2 water chandes aweek, as I comitted to it from the start. Not only for the Diskus but also because of the Whiptails in the tank creating a lot of wast. This might soon change to 3 times a week as I'm adding a Panaque to this tank tomorrow. I dream about having some F1 Xingus one day but will onlay take that step when I have a mutch bigger tank and some more experiance with my "cheapies" from Vietnam. O they are in a planted tank with spider wood, driftwood and rocks as I will never have them in a bare bottem tank.

Listen to your gut. That is the only advice I can give you. If you want Diskus badly enough and is will to put in the extra effort to keep the happy, do it. If you have to think about it don't do it. Use that which ever way you want. I know there are people who will disagree with me about this, which is fine.

Do you homework before the time, mix it all together, and listen to your heart to what your brain tells you.

4. gwhite

gwhite Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    If you are wanting to buy healthy Discus, go to phish_man! I have Discus myself and love them, they are my favourite fish out of my community. Luckily you have a few Discus keepers all here in Cape Town and willing to share useful tips and information.
    Like Slagter and Pierre Schoonraad said above here, Discus are not difficult fish to keep but rather they do require special attention with regards to WC's and filtration.

http://www.apsa.co.za/board/http://www.apsa.co.za/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4.msg132467#msg132467

5. Luis Embalo

Luis Embalo Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    23%
    3ft tank.. 2 discus, a few wiptails and a panaque.. nice.. :)

6. MZ89

MZ89 Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Hi

Thanks (Slagter, Pierré Schoonraad and gwhite) for the advice. I've been keeping rams for a while now. Currently have 5 (2 pairs and one lonely ranger). They have been laying eggs but that's about it. No fry yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  7. larch

larch Green fingers

• APSA Member
    66%
    LOL same issue with my RAMS, they have been a pair for years and laid dozens of eggs but nothing has come of it.

8. Pierré Schoonraad

Pierré Schoonraad Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Dude if you can keep Rams then you can keep Discus.

9. larch

larch Green fingers

• APSA Member
    66%
    I will make more enemies on this forum if I keep Discus in a 80 litre tank ;)

10. larch

larch Green fingers

• APSA Member
    66%
    Also Discus are amazing fish but honestly for me nice too look at not so nice to try and keep. Rather leave it too the professionals.

11. MZ89

MZ89 Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Hi, All

Thanks for the replies. Was at pHish_man toady. Viewed some excellent fish and learnt much about the care of Discus. I have other priorities at the moment, but I think I'll get some Discus in the near future.

Regards,

MZ89

12. PsyXe

PsyXe Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    They really aren't so difficult, you just have to be prepared to do lots of large water changes. If you have "WATER CHANGES" engraved on your heart... you're ready to keep discus. Obviously you need to have done the research and have the appropriate size tank, good filtration, correct temperature and good food, but otherwise - water changes water changes water changes.

13. Francois Marais

Francois Marais Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Cool tread.
    I am always amazed at the species. Majestic is the only word I can think of.

But tending to the needs of a discus just scares the poo out of me.

It sounds like I am going to have to tend to 5 soon. My brother is moving and can't take his discus with. So he suggested that I take care of them (lets call it a gift)
    So I am reading all I can about them, but man there are some conflicting stories out there. Will tap into the knowledge of the little brother of mine. So scared I might kill them. They are worth a percentage of my monthly income :-X