Aquarium Expo 2013

Discussion in 'Calendar Events' started by HC, Jun 21, 2013.

?

So when are you going to be there?

1. Sorry won't be able to make it

20 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Will be there the entire weekend

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Sunday the 4th of August 2013

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Saturday the 3rd of August 2013

14 vote(s)
    31.8%
  5. Friday the 2nd of August 2013

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Luis Embalo

Luis Embalo Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    23%
    I will push for a Expo in Cape Town, you can be sure of it.. :) Not so much about the shops, and more about people talking and sharing their experience, members displaying scapes, salt water tanks, hardscapes selling, some reptiles, insects, orchids..

For 2014, as something like that takes time to organise, but it can be done, and should be done. :)

2. Luis Embalo

• APSA Member
    23%
  3. Luis Embalo

• APSA Member
    23%
  4. Luis Embalo

• APSA Member
    23%
    And this was a small one done by the Aarhus Aquarium Club:
    [​IMG]
    DSC_3155 by Ghostsword, on Flickr

Amano was here to do a show, and so was Heiko, and many others..

5. Luis Embalo

• APSA Member
    23%
  6. Slagter

Slagter Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    Ok, that's strange, because I do not mention a single one of my own products in the presentation. In fact the products I do mention are all Seachem Products, so how this could be construed as not being objective, I don't know. It will be interesting to hear who has complained.

7. Dewald

Dewald Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    23%
    MASA=Marine Aquariums of South Africa.
    SAPTA=South African Pet Traders Association.

8. Luis Embalo

• APSA Member
    23%
    Thanks..

there should be a big marine community in south africa...

9. Dewald

• APSA Member
    23%
    They were also disappointed. 8)
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=46091

10. Luis Embalo

• APSA Member
    23%
    Wow.. some good posts in that thread.. and it makes sense..

So could shops sell livestock and plants in the show?

That is good.. as someone could turn up with a car, get a couple of rocks, wood, some plants, and a tank, filter and take home, and buy fish locally, right?

Or just stock up on plants.. or food, or filters.. or even materials..

11. viper357

viper357 Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    That's gone up a bit, it was R40 000 the last time you threatened legal action against everyone in the universe. :toothy12:

And don't try and act all innocent. Why don't you tell everyone how, after you were banned from masa, you spat your dummy out and went on what can only be referred to as a blind rampage trying your level best to sabotage the Expo by threatening The Home Expo ladies with legal action and also speaking to all of your clients that own pet shops by trying to get them to boycott the expo.

But in reality, the failure was on your part. Your products were not shown. Your shops that could promote your products did not exhibit.

The only persons really losing out were the public. You did not hurt MASA nor TASA nor the Expo organisers. It is the public (your customers) that lost out.

And at the end, we had a relatively successful show as far as I'm concerned. Yes, it could have been bigger. Yes, it could have had more exhibitors, including you.

Even so, I cannot understand how somebody can willingly and knowingly undermine his own business to such an detrimental effect, just to be able to (try) and set a personal issue against somebody else. Then in the same breath expect people to respect him as a grown up man, not a boy of 15. Your actions beggar belief, they really do.

Even after all your efforts, we still had a good expo. We learned a lot and will carry what we learned from last years and this years expo's on to next years event to make it even bigger and better for the aquarist.

LOL, how's your council's briefs, clean I hope? :toothy12: Can't believe how childish and scared you are of someone mentioning a couple of products in a talk. Is your business model so fragile that you have to threaten legal action at the simple prospect of a competing product being spoken about?

My apologies to you Raymond for bringing this argument onto your forum, but I can not sit back idly while Henk Hugo continues in his attempts to mislead and mistreat members and businesses while trying to look all innocent.

12. Slagter

Slagter Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    Wow... Just wow.

13. Firefly

Firefly Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    As Sean said, wow... Starting to turn into a mud slinging contest here.
    Well things can always improve. Maybe 3rd times the charm...

14. Luis Embalo

• APSA Member
    23%
    Jeez, this is far out.. when people start to use legal threats, it is time to walk away from them..

No idea what products Henk uses, or produces, but if he truly boycotted the expo, and asked his customers to do the same, then surely something is wrong.

Maybe it is time to add this one to a lesson, and plan for a better location next year, somewhere cheaper, mid of the country, close to all.

15. Dewald

• APSA Member
    23%
  16. Barry.M

Barry.M Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Wow! Never expected this!!!

Putting this aside, here's my 2 cents....

No need to challenge us! Last year, a few of us did manage to do a couple of tanks. We decided after the competition fell through that we'd still display them and all the tanks received very positive compliments. We also learned so much from the comments passed, ( not to mention the incredible people I met last year) that the effort was well worth it. This year no one asked us if we wanted to participate by doing a few tanks! I for one, would've jumped at the chance as I'm sure others would have too. The next expo or event, please ask us. Crumbs, to think of it, it would've been great to have set up a Wabi kusa, Riparium or a scaped tank and maybe raffled it off at lunchtime on Sunday...

17. larch

larch Green fingers

• APSA Member
    66%
  18. henk hugo

henk hugo Noob

• APSA Member
    Good morning all,

It seems I may have it a nerve with Dean about the Expo, which my all accounts, was by all accounts a huge disaster – as predicted by most people in the trade. Hence the majority of the shops contacted by EventX (which they kept on saying have said maybe or will be there – false representation?) told them to bugger off from day one! So no Dean – no intervention needed from my part – the Expo sank itself way before we pulled out. In fact it was one of the reasons we pulled out – we saw the writing on the wall. :thumbsup:

You did not have a good expo, you had a disaster. I was getting phone calls and texts from retail clients and end-users complaining about what a waste of time and money it was, what a joke etc. So stop living with the illusion that the expo was good – it wasn’t! Geez man – if Keith didn’t step in 10 days before the expo to take two stands (remember he was a serious no go from day one) you would have had an even bigger disaster. Perhaps he should be made an honorary MASA Hero? :hello2: :icon_thumright:

As for my company suffering for not being at the Expo, you are seriously mistaken and have illusions of grandeur if you think that is the case. I can assure you the 3 expo days I rather spent in Durban at a tenth of the cost were more profitable and put my brands on more shelves than 10 years’ worth of expos. So please don’t worry too much about how I run my company. I appreciate that you worry but it is really not necessary! :scratch:

If a company invests money in an event which is presented by an origination/group which has a responsibility to do certain things, i.e. marketing etc. and that second party does not do its part of the bargain one has a right to recover costs and the way to recover cost is to ask the courts to intervene. Our final calculation after the last quotes for banners etc was something like R56400 – that excludes my time and my staffs’ time out of the office.

So no – no one is being mistreated and mislead other than the early adopters of stands at the Expo. You concern for the public is really heartwarming Dean! :eek:

ps. nice laundry larch! Good to see you are still around :D

19. ernst

ernst Noob

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    55%
    I can bearly beleve my eyes. I'm outraged. Most of you know that I post almost once in a bluemoon but this is to much. First of all thanks to every one that made the time and effort to make this expo happen. Yes it was dissapointing to see that it had less then last year but I beleve it was successfull. From SAPTA's side, we were able to make the public aware of almost all the good and the bad in the trade. I shiver to think that a knew hobbyist reads this thread.

SAPTA knew when Sean offered to do the plant course for us there would be people that wouldn't like it.We desided to offer all the stake holders (SAPTA members that wholesale plant products) a chance to addvertise in the manual incl. DARO,Marltons,Pecoltia,Aquarium depot and The Planted tank. Only two came back to me as I am the marketing manager. It was also put to Sean that there sould be no metioning or verbal addvertising of his product in the course. I have attended the course in JHB where he mentioned the Seachem brand atleast 15 times.I believe that these expo's should promote the hobby. Fighting among ourselves will not!

Thanks once again to all it was great to see you guys.

20. henk hugo

henk hugo Noob

• APSA Member
    Good morning Ernst,

Do you not think the public, which is complaining on 3 forums (which I have seen) and to the retailers, has the right to know why it failed, why one of the biggest stands pulled out a month before etc etc etc.

As for the SAPTA talks - I'm up country sometime this month and will discuss it with you.