Aquarium Expo 2013

Discussion in 'Calendar Events' started by HC, Jun 21, 2013.

?

So when are you going to be there?

1. Sorry won't be able to make it

20 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Will be there the entire weekend

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Sunday the 4th of August 2013

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Saturday the 3rd of August 2013

14 vote(s)
    31.8%
  5. Friday the 2nd of August 2013

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Slagter

Slagter Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    A lot more than it cost last year.

2. Dewald

Dewald Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    23%
    They should get a new venue and make it affordable to sponsors. :)

3. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    aquarium expo should go had in hand with hobby expo's, pet expo's, or garden expo's. most people going to home expo's probably wont be interested in seeing a whole bunch of aquarium related products.

if there were awesome display tanks featured in a nice setting with furniture etc. maybe a different story.

4. larch

larch Green fingers

• APSA Member
    66%
    Sorry this is going to be a very long post with lots of writing and quoting:

I would like to disagree with on that point, yes you go to expo's to see the latest and greatest technology, but having attended RAGE expo and having a exhibit there I can definitely tell you that there are also a lot of exhibitors that did cater for mid range to low budget items. Not everyone who starts out in a hobby will buy the latest greatest most expensive items on the market. They usually start out small and go from there getting their feet wet before moving onto bigger things. If you ignore those people you ignore a massive section of the market and run the risk of alienating people too the hobby.

And I would like to disagree with you on this point as well, an expo is the perfect place to get people interested in something. Look at the RAGE expo when it started out they barely filled a small corner of the Coca Cola Dome. Now tickets are sold out months ahead of time. A expo is a representation of what your hobby has to offer, it is a window people can look into and see what it would be like to be part of the community and the hobby.

Just to give you a small idea having a stall at RAGE they asked between R 15000 and R 30 000 for a 10x10 stall depending on your location. I stopped going there because of the massive amounts they now charge for being a exhibitor there. So I cannot see it being any cheaper might even be more expensive.

My apologies, it all looked the same to me and that the items did not have any prices or label's on them did not help the matter either.

Yes it would have made more sense doing it with "The World of Dogs & Cats and Pet Exhibition" I for the life of me cannot understand why it was held with the "Your Home Expo and Lifestyle" expo. Most of the people who attended were more interested in how their next purchase will match the colour of their carpets and drapes. They had zero interest in what was going on next door.

Agreed their was barely enough stall to fill a small hall so it ended up looking like some of the exhibitors pulled out of the event.

Exactly my point some people go to expo's for some shopping and bargain hunting and want a different experience, like live demo's of products. Giving people coming to the expo a hands on experience, presentations. Instead we got a new branch of Dory Pets at the palace. (No offence guys you did a good job)

That is something you simply cannot excuse is not having items priced and expect your customers to browse and then ask how much this item is. It is one of the biggest no no's in retail rules.

Yeah I paid R 150 for my wife, child and myself and that is not the cost of travelling there. In the end my son asked if we could go to Loolilocks because they had: "More fishies and tanks" And yeah a R 150 might to be much for some, but it can buy you more entertainment value that was on offer at the event.

5. PsyXe

PsyXe Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    I feel that some potential exhibitors were dissuaded from participating by the high costs involved. Now, I don't know how much the expo charged people to exhibit, but it felt really "high-end" and there were only a few exhibitors. I'm sure that more exhibitors, each paying less, would be better for visitors and result in the same profit margin for organisers.

I have noticed that a lot of the best fishkeepers, breeders and LFSs (freshwater at least, I don't have experience with salt) are in the slightly less affluent parts of the Pretoria/Joburg area. Boksburg, the Moot, rather than Sandton and Waterkloof. (Excluding Jungle Aquatics :p) Plus, despite all our complaints about the costs of the hobby, honestly you can do it for less cash than a lot of hobbies out there. I can find a rare, exciting fish for R30 or R40. What are the chances of picking up a rare, exciting piece of art / pair of shoes / antique for that sort of price? I'm chronically broke (and not ashamed, apparently) and finding some new fish or plant (often free from a fellow hobbyist!) gives me the kick I would have got from spending money on clothes or entertainment, for literally a tenth of the price. I believe it's a mistake to think that the market for the aquarium hobby is rich people.

6. larch

larch Green fingers

• APSA Member
    66%
    Someone mentioned to me once that a hobby is only as expensive as you want it to be. If I cannot afford it I DIY and if I cannot DIY I buy second hand.

7. butcherman

butcherman Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    I would like to say something from the point of view from the organisers side.
    Firstly My thanks to Sean Jeffries and team, Aquarium Depot, and Lanzo and team from Dorry Pets also Ernest from die visdam who represented SAPTA.

Our chioce of location was based on many factors, namely exposure to non aquarists (to grow the hobby), feed back from exhibitors from the pervious year. And ofcourse the cost factor, yes we could go else where but we would not have the 15000 feet through the doors, which makes it worth while for the exibitors.

For what ever reason be it that the exhibitors felt that the price didnt warant coming , they didnt have the man power avalible or in some cases they just didnt belive in us. We need the public to convince the exibitors that this is what we want and we want to see them at expo's in general

I would like to challenge APSA members to volenteer to come help us out next time around, you have put forward some great ideas, but as part time event organisers we can not cover all the bases. We always need more speakers, guys to manage raffels, keep the exhibitors happy, etc

We are here to grow OUR hobby with passion and be responsible about it. There is no reason we cant work together on the next one!

8. henk hugo

henk hugo Noob

• APSA Member
    R800 a sq/m

9. butcherman

butcherman Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    Pet and me 995 a sp/m

10. Luis Embalo

Luis Embalo Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    23%
    I agree with this.. But I also agree with Pierre.

Show the best and expensive piece of kit at the Home Expo..

And then show how to keep fish and plants at the pet show.

There is a market for all. :)

11. Luis Embalo

• APSA Member
    23%
    I would like to do a small thing in cape town, get some people to talk, like Heiko and Chris Lukaup.. Where? At a school hall.

The hobby does not have to be expensive, many things can be DIY, and bought second hand.

Also not having prices on items is plain silly.

I went to a couple expos in Europe, from small ones in Denmark to massive ones in Holland, it is hard work, but if you keep the expo about the pets and the market you can make it work.

Reptiles, paludariums, fish, insects and snakes all go together. So why have it with home expo? :)

Something will be done in 2014.

12. henk hugo

henk hugo Noob

• APSA Member
    Some background info for you guys....

We pulled out of the expo about 3 or 4 weeks ago as we saw the writing on the wall and didn't want to be part of the house of cards when it all came crashing down as it did over the weekend. We had initially booked a 25sq/m stand and had our suppliers agreeing to fly in prototype units (the only ones in the world) for the expo, we also planned on paying for Prof D's flights and hotel accommodation to allow him to give 2 or 3 talks (repeated on each of the days) on various subjects.

Unlike last year the owners of MASA and TASA did not have a vested financial interest in the Expo as EventX was arranging everything and the exhibitors carried the full financial risk. Between the printing of the large free standing banners, my flights and hotel, Prof Ds flight and hotel, car hire, freighting of stock and marketing material, having special display stands made, 25 sq/m stand, loads of freebies for the goodie bags etc etc etc the expo would have cost us somewhere between R55 000 and R65 000.

When no advertising was forth coming a few weeks before the expo, unlike last year when advertising started months in advance due to the financial interest of MASA/TASA, we got a little jittery and asked some uncomfortable questions on MASA and on email to EventX. These questions made me extremely unpopular on MASA and eventually got me banned and our sponsorship revoked due to me being “in contravention of the EULA and the T&Cs” – I’m still not sure how asking uncomfortable questions about an expo, on which we are spending a lot of money, violates the EULA and the T&Cs but that’s a discussion for another day. I also asked if the talks/demos will be allowed to turn into a product punting session as one of the scheduled talks was being done by someone who, by all accounts, has been doing some serious product punting at SAPTA meetings where the talks should be to inform the shops and not punt a product range – also a discussion for another day.

This Expo had all the makings of being a great show if just a little more effort was made and little more consultation with the exhibitors took place. EventX should also have charged a lot less per sq/m for the stands.

My 2 Zim cents on the matter….

13. Maurice

Maurice Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    23%
    I couldnt make it this year, sounds like I didnt miss out on to much

14. Slagter

Slagter Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    Henk, you like to cause kak. sweet jesus.

15. henk hugo

henk hugo Noob

• APSA Member
    I fail to see how a step by step account of what went down and why we decided not to take up our stand is "causing kak"? If you were willing to invest in the expo what we had allocated you would also ask some questions about the event.

16. Slagter

Slagter Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    I had to pull out because of personal, family issues. For no other reason. You want the whole reason, fine:

My mother, who had a series of major strokes toward the end of last year, started having epileptic episodes about 2 months ago. She has been hospitalized twice over the last 2 months, and some of the fees were not covered by my fathers medical aid. Me, being the only one of my siblings who is semi-financially-free had to put the money that would have been spent on the expo, into hospitalization costs for my mother.

Secondly, you refer to the SAPTA training...

I do all of SAPTAS plant training. The last course was held at MARLTONS' Durban facility and attended by 5 of MARLTONS' staff. If there were absolutely any complaints about objectivity, it would have happened by now, so stop mouthing off about someone who is actually trying to do some good in the industry and perhaps do something positive for a change. There are 2 SAPTA Board members from Marltons.

I do however agree with you on the pricing of the expo. It was a little bit crazy.

17. Luis Embalo

• APSA Member
    23%
    With people like professor about, who can share a lot of information, and many others, it would make sense to have him do a talk.

It is healthy to have a clear discussion as why did the expo seemed a failure to some, and a success to others, lessons can be learned.

Thank you Henk for your post, I appreciate transparency.

18. Luis Embalo

• APSA Member
    23%
    What is MASA and SAPTA?

What can be done for next year, to have a successful show?

19. henk hugo

henk hugo Noob

• APSA Member
    Good evening Sean,

I heard via the trade grapevine why you pulled out and I am truly sorry that you and your family have to deal with the situation. I have a close family member which had a massive stroke so I have a vague idea how you are feeling and what you are dealing with.

I didn't want to name you but you outed yourself so here we go. Having spent the expo days in Durban doing store visits I can assure there are LOTS of complaints about to objectivity of the training you provide from within the retail side of the trade. I had similar feedback during my last Gauteng visit and I will be discussing it with members of the SAPTA committee this week.

Let's get the discussion back to why the expo failed. I have given a very light overview of what we did and why we withdrew.

20. henk hugo

henk hugo Noob

• APSA Member
    Always a pleasure. Like I said we wanted to fly Prof D up for the expo at our expense to share his vast knowledge with the hobby.

I'm hearing murmurings of a Cape Town expo in the making.