Algea identification and solution please

Discussion in 'Plant Problems' started by Kyle, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Kyle

Kyle Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Hi all.

I have just noticed this on some of the leaves. Could you please help me identify what it is and how I can get this sorted out.

Tank 220l
    Light 2x54w t5ho about 8cm off the top of the water level
    Light period 6.5 hours
    Pressurised CO2 with green drop checker
    CO2 on 1.5 hours before light on, and off 1 hour before light off
    EI Dosing but not dosing nitrates and phosphate as I have 20ppm nitrate without dosing.

Thanks

14889829569980.jpg

2. Clappies

Clappies Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Might be green spot algae,since your not dosing phosphate.

Is this stuff only on the leaves or do you have some on the glass as well?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

3. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    Looks like BBA to me

4. Kyle

Kyle Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    No its only on a few of the leaves on that specific plant not on the glass. The picture is not that grea hopefully these are abit better. Taking with my phone so quality not the best once zoomed in. Also what causes leaves to brown like in the picture?

14889894867250.jpg

14889895027391.jpg

5. Clappies

Clappies Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Have to agree with wearsbunnyslippers , looks like the start of BBA.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

6. Kyle

Kyle Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    Damn. Any suggestions on what I can do to stop this before it gets out of hand

7. saaquascaping

saaquascaping Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    spray hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) or flourish excel.

8. Kyle

Kyle Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    I know how to kill it using those methods but how do I prevent it from coming back. Basically what is the main cause of this?

9. dart

dart Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Have you seen this site, it may help a little? http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_freshwater_algae.php

Also I found this with a bit of googling

Perhaps someone here will be able to give you more detailed advice. Otherwise spot treat for the immediate algae issue and look at CO2 & phosphates & nitrates for long term fix.

BTW are you absolutely positive that your phosphate & nitrates are fine without dosing? As far as I know it is *much* safer to overdose than to even slightly under-dose nutrients. I.e. in general it seems more algae and problems are caused by nutrient deficiency rather than surplus. And given that you have some algae starting and signs of nutrient deficiency in the leaves, it may be worth reconsidering your dosing regime?

Clappies likes this.
  10. Kyle

Kyle Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    thanks @dart i will check that site out. My CO2 is on a timer so always on and off the same time and it is at the point where if i increase the CO2 just a little bit then i get a yellow drop checker, Also i do get a pH drop of 1 between CO2 off and CO2 on and i understand that this will mean that there is 30ppm CO2 (if someone could verify this). My nitrates sit around 20ppm without dosing and i check this on a daily basis. Phosphate i do not have a test kit and i believe they are extremly inacurate anyways but i will start dosing phosphate just to be on the safe side, i just assumed if there is always nitrate in the take then there should be phosphate.

I dose as follows:
    CSM+B - 0.7g in 500ml and dose 5 days to get 0.208ppm Fe
    K- 6g in 500ml and dose 5 days to get 14.2ppm
    N- no dosing
    P- no dosing

thats all i have been dosing. Could you recomment what i can change in this to make it better (i will start dosing Phosphate)?

Thanks

11. dart

dart Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Again, I'm not the expert :) but IMO you should "just do EI"

In your tank? I don't think you can use the pH drop in you tank as any kind of reliable way of getting a CO2 ppm because e.g. minerals in the water can buffer the pH change. That is why drop checkers are used, they have distilled water so there should be no other variables apart from CO2 being diffused in.

Yes, they tend to be inaccurate but that goes for your nitrates too. The inaccuracy of generally available test kits and expense of high quality ones is one of the things that drove the creation of EI in the first place.

IMO you can pretty much ignore your test kit. Just embrace EI and tailor based on how the plants react rather than on test kits.

Every day for five days? Then when are you dosing micro ferts? You can't do macro and micros on the same day. Typically people alternate macro and micro days (e.g. water change sun, macro Sun, micro Mon, macro Tue, micro Wed, macro Thurs, micro Fri, nothing Sat). There are different ways, but thats the most common one

So my advice then is
    1. Go to http://www.apsa.co.za/calculate/fertiliser.php and calculate the EI dose for your tank. Start with the low end if you are concerned and then ramp up as needed
    2. Remember that the calculator gives you a week's dose so divide that by 3 if you are alternating (as I think you should)
    3. Get micro ferts & iron for the alternate days
    4. Read up more on EI, there is a very good (gigantic) EI thread here on APSA and quite a lot elsewhere on the internet too (e.g. http://www.barrreport.com/forum/bar...tive-index-of-dosing-or-no-need-for-test-kits)
    5. As for CO2 ppm, people argue about that :) But 20-30 is about the min for EI and high light I think and many people go as high as possible without killing your fish
    6. There is also lots and lots of really bad advice around. So check it comes from a good source. Remember "correlation is not causation" :D

Good luck

12. Kyle

Kyle Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    @dart thanks alot for all the information and advise. i will just ignore test kits and do full EI no compromises and see how it goes. Really appreciate all the help

dart likes this.
  13. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
  14. Waltjie

Waltjie Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    I have never had much success with spot treating BBA. There is always some you don´t see and it will simply find its way to the rest of your tank.
    I am a huge fan of the Excel overdosing method. Works for me with zero ill effects!