Algal Growth on Anubias Leaves

Discussion in 'Plant Problems' started by Pedro, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Pedro

Pedro Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    My anubias' leaves have recently started to become a haven for algal growth - check the pic below. I have about 5 of them in my setup - the giant variety - and even though they are all showing signs of new growth, the leaves have been gaining this algae.

[​IMG]

I perform regular water changes (lately 1/3 changed once a week almost religiously) and I have not changed the way that I have been feeding my Tanganyikans - in fact I feed them less now that I have a Tropheus moori "Bemba" (check it out here : http://www.apsa.co.za/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3> which requires a higher vegetable based diet because of bloat.

[​IMG]

My lights (4 x flourescents) are only on from about 16h00pm or 17h00pm until about 22h00pm or 23h00pm.

What can I do to curb this growth? The rest of my tank has relatively minor algal growth...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hello Pedro.

That looks like Diatoms not actually a algae.

If you go read on the net you will be able to find allot of articals about it.Ive found that ottos works best at this tipe of "algae"

Normally it shows up in newly setup system withing the 1st few months and should go away buy itself...but as said...nice to speed it up buy adding ottos..Dont know if you can add them to a true chichlid tank.

3. Cameron

Cameron Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi Pedro

You need to keep in mind that adding plants to a tank helps keep the water clean by taking up fish excretions and nutrients from rotting food etc. Thus you are able to go longer without water changes, I think you are doing a water change once too often, perhaps do your water changes once every 2 weeks as opposed to every week. This way you will have a nutrient build up that will keep the plants happy. If your water is clean the whole time the plants have no food and growth is slowed. The plants will eventuallt wither away and die. You could also lose about half your lighting as the Anubias are low light plants, you are pushing them too hard with no nutrients at the moment. So either take my advice above or begin dosing some nutrients into the tank. Alternatively ypou could target feed the roots with some clay balls and nutrients.

4. Pedro

Pedro Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Ch33r5 d3tained

I will look that up. My setup has been running for about 8 months now so I don't think its because of that. My water quality should now be better than it was a few months ago as I do regular weekly water changes.

About the Otto's guv...ja, they're nice fish but I'd hate to see him getting terrorised by my crew and secondly their presence in a Tanganyikan biotope would make Andre bring out his Golden Yo-Yo string for me - No thanks!

Thanks Cameron. Will take your advice - will cool it on the water changes for a while to check what the diff is. What nutrients would I use to target feed the roots?

5. henk hugo

henk hugo Noob

• APSA Member
    as a foot note - those anubias do best with their leaves out of the water and with the roots wet. d3tained sa pedro said adding ottos would be their death. they would be eaten and those that do not get eaten will die of organ failure due to calsium build up inside their bodies.