Algae and Nutrients

Discussion in 'Plant Problems' started by d3tained, Jun 19, 2007.

1. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi GreenPeople!

Ok so my question is the following.

I did research and found that Tom Barr states that to much nutriets do not cause algae....lack of nutrients cause algae?

he also states that AMMONIA can cause algae.

Ive always believed it the other way around

Am i confused?.

2. Rattail

Rattail Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    please provide the URL where you read this?

3. dart

dart Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    There is so much bad information about this hobby its scary. I reckon you can trust Tom though :) He usually backups up his statements with good evidence.

I've read that too and it made a whole lot more sense after I had Diana Walstad's book. She talks quite a bit about keeping things in balance.

So as *I* understand Tom's comments, he is saying that an imbalance caused by to little of one or more nutrient can cause algae problems. This is because algae can flourish when plant growth is being limited by nutrient deficiencies. (Although I've never seen a good explanation of why algae does not always out compete plants. Allopathy is mentioned but as far as I've seen its not been proven....)

Moving your gravel around can release amonia. I've just watched my tank go green thanks to a green water algae boom after doing something similar so I find that very easy to believe :p

4. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi!!

Thx for all the info.

Richard I will go look for the link.

5. GDJ

GDJ Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Detained:
    Something like green water is caused by very high nutrient levels, it can also be caused by high nitrates where plant growth is not reducing the the nitrates. So ther you have a case of algae caused by too much nutrients.

On the other hand BBA. Now BBA loooooove phosphates. In our planted tanks when plants use up all the nitrates the plants effectively stop growing and this will cause a excess phosphates. So there you have a case of algae caused by a lack of nutrients.

Now BGA a.k.a. Cyano depends on other things like low nitrate solutions in combination access to nitrogen or low oxygen levels in a tank with poor circulation, so I guess you can say that that statement is both true and false depending on what type of algae and tank conditions you are dealing with.

6. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Thx Gawie!!!!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey Detained,

It's more of an imbalance between the nutrients that will cause an algae outbreak. A complete lack of nutrients is a algae haven. nutrients are relational. So too much of one will affect another and vice versa. For instance calcium and magnesium, if you have too much magnesium it hinders the uptake of calcium which leaves you will deformed new growth. While high nitrates will increase the speed that the rest of the nutrients will be absorbed. So in the end you have high nitrates and lack of of phosphate resulting in GSA but that isn't the nitrate causing the algae.

The key is, keeping everything within balanced and stable levels is a sure fire way to prevent algae.

8. d3tained

d3tained Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi Jared.

THX allot...thats makes ALLOT of sense!!

9. neels

neels Noob

• APSA Member
    80%
    Just a thought,
    I had a very bad case of alge, but after adding some more CO2 to my tank, it stop growing, to a point where the alge is dieing. And plants are bloooming!!