Admin and up to date forum

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Innocent159, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Innocent159

Innocent159 Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    I have nothing personal but would just like to know if here is active moderators and admin?

Is there anyway to track the daily active members? seems like the forum catching up now or something like that.
    I'm new on the forum so i don't know the history is there anyone that won't mind giving me some insight?

Is there any members or admin or moderators that do monthly post such as reviews, articles, etc? What's new in south africa regarding our aquatic lifestyle.

I would like to know if here are articles on key elements such as nitrogen cycle, maintenance and if not who can i speak to if I have ideas on articles? (Have an idea of writing monthly articles for members like myself thats new on the forum (we could refer people to it if they want to get into the hobby or gain some knowledge on important concepts))

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

2. Deadpool

Deadpool Algae destroyer Staff Member

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    There are active admins...but this is more of an actual FORUM than an article archive. If you want specific reading on a subject...type it in the search bar on top and you'll find your threads that deal with the nitrogen cycle, etc.

There was a time when certain "things" were reviewed...like filters...but that was very limited, as the products weren't sponsored, so people had to write about what they had at the time being.

If you want article based information, one of the sponsors on here does a magazine every second month (only aquatic SA magazine as far as I know), or simply try Google. Remember...APSA is FOCUSED on aquatic plants. So it's difficult to "review" Rotala Calorata, or Anubias var. Barterii

As the water from town to town differs...let alone from Polokwane to Cape Town...every plant will adapt differently. That's what this forum is meant for..."I got myself some Styro Repens, but they melting all of a sudden"... BOOM...people ask you questions about your setup, and a solution is found for your problem.

You'll find people talking mostly about ferts, substrate and lighting on here...as those are the major elements that influence your plants.

Hope that answers your request...somewhat... ;)

Clare, DC88 and wearsbunnyslippers like this.
  3. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    apsa_stats.PNG

there are two active admins, myself (wearsbunnyslipers) and richard (shihr) I left for a short stint in australia so APSA was not my primary focs for a while and richard has just had a baby, and is running two other businesses as well as working a full time job.

there are 4 mods, but only R.C. is still actively involved. unfortunately as this is not a paid service, life gets in the way sometimes and APSA takes a backseat.. we will start the process of electing some new mods very soon.

there are some article and reviews already, you can check out the FAQ:
    http://www.apsa.co.za/xenforo/faq/
    and there are also sticky threads at the top of each board..

if you would like to submit a review or article just create a thread and if it becomes popular enough, it can be made a sticky, or added to the faq. members are free to contribute however they see fit, but the mods and admins will always have the final say.

there are lots of things that people would like, but it always seems to fall on the mods and admins to do so, as people seem to lose interest very quickly, especially when there are some members that criticise more than contribute.. we have just resurrected TOTM again, and deadpool is going to manage it for us, so that takes some of the load off.

unfortunately for forums, facebook and whatsapp groups are also taking visitors away, as most people belong to these groups and then stop posting on forums, this is great for quickly getting answers to questions but not for in depth knowledge sharing or learning etc.

Equinoxe, AdrianT, Clare and 5 others like this.
  4. Innocent159

• APSA Member
    9%
    Thanks both of you. I would keep my eye out for that mod position (not intereted in money, only having a popular forum in south africa).

As for my post it was just to see where i can post articles (even if it should be plant only) i do in my free time. I like to share knowledge and leadn even more. Reason I joined here in the first place is to find out where i can find equipment for my custom build leds and where I'll find plants once i start doing my build.

I was for a year on an online forum where i found it very interesting how members promote other members based on past articles. They would post the link of the article this in return kept users actively on the forum and kept the numbers up.

Right now for me, I need to visit that forum for the information or solution than come here to post a similar post to get the equipment or product.

Would like to grow this forum together with other members (even if it should be centered around plants)
    #Curtis

5. Vis

Vis Plant menace

• APSA Member
    77%
    Here I was thinking we just wing it :)

Clare and Deadpool like this.
  6. Innocent159

• APSA Member
    9%
    Lol. You get out what you put in but it's was just an idea. Take it or leave it. I'll still be around and active if i have anything to share

7. f-fish+plants

f-fish+plants Aquascaper

• APSA Member
    73%
    And when things get real slow on site stats you just roll your own.

upload_2017-2-6_18-22-54.png

See the reads today was way higher than the past few weeks ... maybe all those new years resolutions are forgotten and all back to wasting time at work.

Later Ferdie

Clare likes this.
  8. Innocent159

• APSA Member
    9%
    Lol yeah plus you don't really get time for forums during festival