Above surface pond idea... suggestions?

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Neville, May 30, 2008.

1. Neville

Neville Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Greetings all

I rent a smallish place in Cape Town and would like to construct a pond for keeping some Koi on the patio. We often sit outside on the patio on weekends especially to have meals at the outside table and just relax. I currently have a small water feature in the garden but it is too far away i.e. I want to be able to see the fish whilst sitting on the patio at the table. As I rent, it must be a semi-perminant structure in that I do not want to use any concrete, it must be on top of the patio paving and not in a hole in the ground and must be relatively easy to errect and dismantle again when I move house one day.

So my idea is to put up a rectangular structure of sort, fairly narrow due to limited space but long enough to create sufficient swimming space for smaller fish. I have space for roughly 1m x 2m and thought of 60/70cm high allowing for about 50+cm in deapth.

Some ideas:

1. My innitial idea was to create a box type frame of old railway sleepers for the sides and line it out with pond liner. I like the wooden look of the sleepers and they are nice and solid. It might be quite tricky to fix them together at the corners as this is typically very hard wood and to drill through them to place bolts and nuts could be a challenge.

2. Use hollow bricks stacked on-top of each other just like you would when building a conventional wall but instead of using concreate/plaster to bind them simply fill the hollow bricks with sand. Once again line with plastic pond liner as per above.

3. Instead of the normal building hollow bricks, use those rounding ones you get for building retaining walls on embanked gardens. They have to a degree an interlocking shape and might be stronger than the plain flat hollow bricks. They are also typically semi round so the overlapping edges can be used for planting small overhanging plants in that will disguise the bricks/blocks over time.

Do any of these ideas sound feasable? Will any of them safely support +/- 800L of water?

Has anyone here done anything like this?

I've looked around at various precast fibre-glass type ponds but all of the ones that are designed to go on top of the ground without digging a hole are too shallow for Koi and also usually quite expensive.

Any ideas or thoughts welcomed.

Thanks in advance
    Neville

2. blaster1

blaster1 Noob

• APSA Member
    55%
    Hi
    Have you thought of half barrels interlinked ? You should be able to get them there in the Cape.
    G

3. Neville

Neville Green fingers

• APSA Member
    9%
    Hi

Nope, didn't think of that. What kind of barrels did you have in mind...?

Neville