26L "Nano" DIY Shelve

Discussion in 'D.I.Y.' started by Silikube, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Silikube

Silikube Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    53%
    Hi Guys

I recently bought a 26L nano cube that I thought would look nice sitting in the coner of my flat. I started to build a shelve/cabinet for it yesterday and pretty much finished it today. I still have to paint it. The stand was built from wood that I was planning on using to put up some shelves in my flat as I am currrently renovating. Turned out looking much more interesting than what the shelves would have on my wall.

Basic Stand:
    [​IMG]

Empty tank in corner:
    [​IMG]

This was last night before I had the shelves in. It was either going to turn into a "cabinet" with a door or a open stand with shelves to put stuff on.

Stand with "shelves" and nano on top:
    [​IMG]

This was 20mins after dumping some substrate,rocks and a few pieces of driftwood, so the water is still rather murky.
    The lay-out is just to have something instead of an empty tank and will change in the near future. Personally I dont think the rocks and gravel work together.

And finally, a close up of the grapevine configuration, the only thing i think I will keep as is!
    [​IMG]

Anyway, I will post some more developments as they happen.
    thanks
    Ruben

2. vic+andrea

vic+andrea Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Nice one!!! love the grape fine!! What plants fish ect are you planning on putting in? I like the black gravel but not to sure about the lighter rocks.... But then again I never did like the two tone gravel look.

Looks Fantastick thou!!
    Well done!

3. R.C.

R.C. Moderator Staff Member

• Global moderator
    23%
    Hey, Ruben.

Looking good so far.

What's the dimensions on that tank?

4. Silikube

• Global moderator
    53%
    39cm(L)X28cm(H)X24cm(W) works out to about 26L.

For now, it has a 9w light fixture with a kelvin of 7200K . I would like to up the wattage later. Came with those default type, "hang-on filters", think it's "rated" at 300L/H.
    I am thinking of dumping the remaining bags of the dasz aquarium soil, just to see what happens... feel like it should be put to use, since I bought the stuff some time ago, it has just taken up space.

Like I've said earlier, personally I dont think the rocks and gravel work together. The few pets shops did not have any dark rocks, so I am still on the look out for the perfect rocks.

I have my ideas on small fish and low maintenace, easy to grow plants, depending on what light I end up using for the nano. But, all in due time.

I do like the wood formation though!

5. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hi Ruben

I also like the way you arranged the grapevine. Is your heart set on dark gravel?

I'm looking forward to seeing how this tank progresses.

6. Silikube

• Global moderator
    53%
    Nope, I am going to see what gravel is available around here when I go get the paint later on today.
    I have created a bottom layer from left over dasz aqaurium soil. There was just no way I was going to put that stuff in the tank as a substrate layer, all it does is create a mudbath. I pummeled the tiny offending balls into one sticky clay mass. . .
    [​IMG]

For the middle layer I still have some more left over "starter substrate" I might use. Kewl thing is, with a small tank like this, you can easily and quickly change everything with not much effort.

7. ziyaadb

ziyaadb Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    53%
    looking awesome

8. Silikube

• Global moderator
    53%
    Thanks Ziyaadb.

Finished the painting today. Here is what the stand looks like now:
    [​IMG]

And I also tried some lighter gravel to see if it looks better with the rock and wood. Can't find any dark rocks, so for now I might stick to the lighter side of things. The gravel is sold as fine brown gravel, but turned out more orange than anyhing else. Still can't make up my mind if I like it or not.

The water has been very cloudy, currently running a few extra filters in there, hope it clears up so I can better judge which way the scape will be heading....
    [​IMG]

Kewl thing I did for interest sake, was cut some styrofoam for the base and paint it the same colour as the stand. It looks so good, you can't even really see it.
    [​IMG]

Will keep you guys updated. But for now I am just going let the tank run and clear itself up.

thanks
    Ruben

9. vic+andrea

• APSA Member
    40%
    Like the new look! Did you do a combination on screws and gue or just screws? What varnich did you use? Nice and not shiny! Love matt finich! Well thats how it looks on the pic!

10. Silikube

• Global moderator
    53%
    Yeh, it is a matt acrylic paint. Shiny things make me think of too much bling.

I dont use any glue, mainly screws and sometimes some nails for extra support.

11. vic+andrea

• APSA Member
    40%
    Better that way! Personaly I hate nails cos I tend to split the wood in two every time I use them. But then agai I suck at wood work! Give me metal and Ill be happy!

12. ismail

ismail Algae harvester

• APSA Member
    40%
    Hi, what type of driftwood are you using? I wanted to start a new thread in the beginners section, but maybe someone can give me some advise here. Does one usually buy the driftwood, or collect it oneself? I once tried a piece I found on the beach, but it stained my water yellow. ???

13. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    It's quite normal for driftwood to leach tannins, these are what would make your water yellow. It's actually a good thing if you're keeping fish from the Amazon, I'm not 100% sure but I believe the tannins have some antibacterial properties.

14. vic+andrea

• APSA Member
    40%
    It all depends on the look you are going for aswell! If your going for a more "natural" look then yellow water is a good thing but if you have a... How shall I say... Fake white pebbel substrait then tannis is a big no no!! It just does not go together! But that is just my personal taste!

About where to get wood........ If you can get a nice pice of wood at a good price buy it! I personaly dont like to buy wood because I can get better looking wood free-o-charge! The one I have in my tank is completely hollow and is grate for my fish! You just dont get that at your local! Its mainly mopani roots on sale. Nothing all that special!

15. shihr

shihr Administrator Staff Member

• Super Admin
    23%
    WOW vic+andrea, where do u get drift wood 4 free?? cos where i buy is cheaper than most places but still costs me alot!! R26/kg?

16. shihr

• Super Admin
    23%
    oh and silikube, r u gonna put on doors?, ur wood work is really really good...

17. shihr

• Super Admin
    23%
    oh and another Q, would ur cabnet hav held if u didn hav any shelves? cos they act as structural support rite?

18. Silikube

• Global moderator
    53%
    Thanks dude.

No, I like it the way it is. No doors, just shelves for putting goodies on under the tank!
    The shelves came last, so the cabinet could stand and support itself without the shelves.

I will be buliding a full on cabinet with doors and all for my 100L and then I still need to get my canopy sorted for the 200L.

19. Silikube

• Global moderator
    53%
    Hey Guys.

Just a minor update.

[​IMG]

Tank has been cycling for a month now. Water has cleared nicely and I also added some starter plants, namely a few Java Ferns and some Anubias. As I come across more interesting plants I will add them to the scape. The substrate has a bottom clay mix, covered with some left over "starter" substrate from Sera, and then a layer of fine river gravel. I also added quite a few Ramshorn and Trumpet snails from my other tanks.
    At the moment, I am running a 9w and 11w light fixture, which equals 20w, I am planning on running 2X 13w light fixtures, that should give me roughly 26w of light. As a rough guide, 5wpg should be adequate, as I am under the impression that smaller tanks require more light?!

More plants and livestock coming up...

Pic of whole stand in corner:
    [​IMG]

(Have to do something about the ugly plug sticking out like a sore thumb)

20. Ryan

Ryan Green fingers

• APSA Member
    37%
    Hey Reuben, looking really good.

Try and get hold of some ground cover and you'll have a winner.