230gallon beast

Discussion in 'General Aquatic Talk' started by Warren Panayides, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Warren Panayides

Warren Panayides Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    So today i broke my back to collect a 150lx60wx100h aquarium now i have a 3ft 120 litre with black extra fine gravel but was wondering if i should do something like a xxtra fine silica sand and plant tab the shit out the. Subtrate for a week with some plants and once its settled add 5 tiger barbs for a week and maybe leave it for another week then add my 120 litres water to it and transfere the fish and remaining plants and lights

2. Warren Panayides

Warren Panayides Noob

• APSA Member
    65%
    I lied its nots 230 gal its a bit less actually 75cm heigh so about 675 litres...

3. DaveAbes

DaveAbes Green fingers

• APSA Member
    51%
    Hey man.
    Nice tank you got there hey.
    Never kept tiger barbs myself so cannot really say what fish and other livestock they compliment.
    Or if they eat plants or not.
    As for the super fine substrate - could cause issues with anaerobic areas which ultimately lead to a sufur dioxide byproduct which I think can cause you issues, and could look nasty.

I would personally use ADA aquasoils. Only good things to say, but it's expensive and favours the planted tank.

What are you goals, fish tank or planted tank?

4. Deadpool

Deadpool Algae destroyer Staff Member

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    I've had (green) tiger barbs...they fine with most plants if you have more than 10 tigers at any given time. Any less...and they chow everything to bits.

I'd stay away from feathery plants...and prolly your grass-like plants as well. Your bigger leaved plants will not only be more robust against tigers, but will look more in proportion with the larger barbs as well ;)

5. Deadpool

Deadpool Algae destroyer Staff Member

• APSA Member
    • Sponsor
    73%
    PS.
    A 75cm high tank...ideal for angel or discus. At that depth, you'll prolly be better off leaning towards plants that you can tie higher up onto rocks and/or wood, or plants that aren't light whores...unless you planning on very bright lights to penetrate that depth ;)

Plants that jump to mind...Anubias, swords (root feeder), crypts (root feeder), vallis, java or bolbitus ferns. For some colour...you can even try something like Ludwigia Repens....

Luis Embalo likes this.
  6. Luis Embalo

Luis Embalo Valued Contributor

• APSA Member
    23%
    A tank that deep I would do a huge carpet of crypts with some echinodorus at the back.. ferns and bolbitis attached to wood on the sides. And a huge shoal of tigger barbs.. all varieties.. :)

N00b likes this.